WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Reversible Water Bladder

It's time to replace my camelbak bladder, which has developed a small leak. One thing that has always frustrated me with it though is how hard it is to dry out. I decided to invent the reversible water bladder to solve this - only to learn that hydrapak beat me to it! Has anyone tried the hydrapak? It seems to be marketed mostly to cyclers and only sold in cycle shops. Is it good for backpacking? Is it a good product in general?

Well, I went out and bought the platypus zip zl because I am impatient. It looks superficially the same design as the hydrapak, but it is not really reversible. It has a wide mouth with a zip lock slider, but the mouth is too stiff and not quite the full bag width, so you cant turn it inside out. It is wide enough (barely) to fit your hand and forearm in to dry it with a small cloth. The lock is easy to use, and water tight. The hose has a quick disconnect which I like. It allows you to disconnect the hose and blow all the water out. We'll see how it holds up.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Camelbak makes a contraption to put in the bladder to keep it open so it will dry out.

yeah, someone bought the 'kit' for me as a gift. I wasn't impressed (by the kit, not the gift). About the only useful thing in it was the piece of plastic to keep the mouth open. I couldn't believe it but the pipe cleaner they sell to clean the hose isn't as long as the hose!! It's just an ill thought out product. The reversible idea just seems like the simplest most effective solution.

Camelbak bladders have a lifetime guarantee, just send it back.

Camelback has a new line of bladders that have a built in drying thing looks interesting

Just put it in the freezer empty when you're not using it. I haven't cleaned mine in years.

Az

++ New Posts ++