WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Peak 1 stove fuels

Can you use Alcohol as a fuel in a Coleman Peak 1 stove? Their website list Coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline as acceptable and my thinking is Alcohol can’t burn that much hotter and certainly is less explosive.
    Thanks

Barefoot at sea level

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    Can you use Alcohol as a fuel in a Coleman Peak 1 stove? Their website list Coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline as acceptable and my thinking is Alcohol can’t burn that much hotter and certainly is less explosive.
    Thanks
    I'd think there's very little down-side in trying it out. Run your tank dry and see how it behaves with a small sample of alcohol. It won't clog your jets or anything serious, and it's mutually soluble with white gas, so if you're not happy with the results you haven't caused any damage to the equipment.

(See how eager I am to let YOU try it?)

The rest of us will be interested to hear about your results.

The heat of alcohol may not be enough to heat up the generator on a Coleman,
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Just be sure it's completely out before you grab it.

Images

The moisture that alcohol absorbs may cause corrosion in your metal fuel bottle.
    I know because I tried alcohol in my MSR Simmerlite and that's what happened to the bottle. And to top things off, the alcohol didn't work well as a fuel in my stove.

The alcohol may also melt any plastic or rubber parts in the stove. I did alot of R&D work for Peak 1 on the Feather 400...never tried alcohol. Gasoline will work but stinks and will dirty the ports requiring regular maintenance. As mentioned the alcohol may not burn hot enough to atomize the fuel in the generator. Had very good results with "white gas"...usually got between 400 and 500 hours on my burners w/o maintenance issues. The stove proved very reliable.

geek

++ New Posts ++