WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    From what I understood,to get to Deep Gap was as simple as turning off of US 64 and onto the FS 71 road, drive a little ways and then the trail crossed over it.

Also, if she picks me up at Deep Gap that would give us a little more time to drive to a town, get a room so I can get cleaned up and eat.
    Stick,
    Just got a call from my brother. The job isnt ready for 4-6weeks. Give me a call or shoot me the dates and I'll see if i can make it. HS

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Stick,
    Just got a call from my brother. The job isnt ready for 4-6weeks. Give me a call or shoot me the dates and I'll see if i can make it. HS
    PM sent. Let me know if you can make it.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

Default US 71 coordinate

Ok, so I am going to go ahead and hike into NC rather than turn back and backtrack.

From what I can tell, at Deep Gap the trail crosses US 71. Correct?
    If so, does anyone have a coordinate I can program into my GPS so that it will be set for my wife?

Also, at Deep Gap, the Kimsey Creek Trail will lead to the Standing Indian Campgrounds? How is this trail? And is the Campgrounds easy to find, as far as my wife driving there? Again, anyone have an address or coordinates?

I am thinking if it is easy enough for her to get too, I will just let her pick me up at the trail on US 71. Then when I go back and pick back up, we can camp at the camping grounds and I can begin my hike from there the next morning...
    N35 2.3756 W83 33.1812 (Deep Gap,USFS 71) There is water there per Appalachian Pages 2009 NoBo. Hope this helps.HS

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Blissful;1162603]Ron's motel is in Hiawasee

You've got some good climbs in there. And a rather steep descent off Blue Mtn.

Blue decent did seem like a beast to me as well on the descent.
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

The Kimsey Creek Trail is a beautiful trail. Nice gentle decent into the campgrounds. Be aware, it can be wet! There are footbridges over the crossings, but in some spots, water flows freely on the trail itself. Hiked up this trail last Friday, the day after heavy rain and hail in the Standing Indian basin area. Wet, wet, wet!

I'm doing Springer to Davenport Gap in July... I'm being picked up where the trail crosses I-40 at Waterville, NC.
    Day Glow

Images

From what I understood,to get to Deep Gap was as simple as turning off of US 64 and onto the FS 71 road, drive a little ways and then the trail crossed over it.

Also, if she picks me up at Deep Gap that would give us a little more time to drive to a town, get a room so I can get cleaned up and eat.
    FS 71 ends at Deep Gap @ 5-6 miles off US 64. There is parking, trash cans, white blazes and blue blazes.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Time is getting closer! I can't wait. I have gotten Deep Gap programmed into the GPS for her and I have checked it out and it looks good. I will also print the directions off for here too just in case.

This looks like it will also be my first solo. I have a buddy that thought he may be able to go but it doesn't look too good at this point. He may pull through at the last minute...

I will definitely look into going past Low Gap shelter the first day. Maybe I can stop for dinner at the shelter and then push on farther the 1.5 miles to that campground.

Got my gear all squared away but I have hit some snags. My new pack that I thought was going to be smaller ended up being bigger than I thought, however it is still lighter than my Circuit. It should do ok though, I just still have to find a smaller pack... (I am thinking Blast 26...) Also, I was hoping that my summer quilt I ordered a while back would be here in time, however, it will not make it in time so I will have to use my GoLite quilt...I was kinda wanting my base weight to be around 9 pounds for this trip, however, with this quilt and some gear I am testing it pushed it up to 11. But don't get me wrong, I am still quite happy with that weight!

Can't wait...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    The road to Deep Gap isn't bad at all. There were several cars from day hikers the last time we were there. We're picking up there next week actually.
    I got my Prius there last November and it was snowing.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Good to know. She shouldn't have any problems then in her Xterra!

So, I need some info on a hotel close to Neels Gap. We will be leaving out from our home about 430 or so in the afternoon. If we were to drive straight to Neels Gap, with the time change, we would arrive around 12 at night. So, I would like to get a hotel on the drive in, but I want to be as close to Neels Gap as possible. This way I can get up early, eat a good breakfast somewhere, and finish driving to Neels Gap that morning, and hopefully be on the trail no later than 9 am. I will be driving east towards Neels Gap. Thanks for any info.

I thought the Prius mention would put it in perspective.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I thought the Prius mention would put it in perspective.....
    To be honest, at first I thought you were being funny and saying that you got your car from there last November...

Images

So, I need some info on a hotel close to Neels Gap. We will be leaving out from our home about 430 or so in the afternoon. If we were to drive straight to Neels Gap, with the time change, we would arrive around 12 at night. So, I would like to get a hotel on the drive in, but I want to be as close to Neels Gap as possible. This way I can get up early, eat a good breakfast somewhere, and finish driving to Neels Gap that morning, and hopefully be on the trail no later than 9 am. I will be driving east towards Neels Gap. Thanks for any info.
    Cleveland, Blairsville, or Helen.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks, I will look at those and compare them to my route. Are they all good sources for hotel and breakfast? How far from Neels Gap?

Blairsville is like 17 miles if I remember right.....nice town.

Images

Thanks, I will look at those and compare them to my route. Are they all good sources for hotel and breakfast? How far from Neels Gap?
    18 miles from Cleveland, 25 miles from Helen, 13 miles from Blairsville. Coming from MS you'll hit Cleveland first.

All have hotels and breakfast places.
    Skids

Blairsville is where you want to stay.

Sounds like Blairsville is where I want to be then...

It's very doable. I actually took one additional day. Consider hiking out to Deep Gap NC or Standing Indian Campground and getting a shuttle from there. The Budget Inn shuttle picked me up at Deep Gap $40 to Franklin NC. A shuttle from Standing Indian Campground is probably a little less. The stretch continuing North from the GA/NC line is moderate terrain and very pretty. Muskrat Creek shelter is not particularly nice but there were nice smaller camp sites a little further along the trail. Pick-up water at Muskrat Creek.
    virgil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++