WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbler View Post
    Again another thread getting off message. I understand and accept your point of view but the OP was referring to the A/T, not the BMT or any other trail. The A/T does have national designation should have all the resources necessary made available to enforce and protect it's corridor. Illegal vehicle use should stop.....Period!
    Yes, of course for sure.... I file it under, "Things that should be but unfortunately will never happen."

There's not a magic wand.. nor or there enough resources to enforce it.

They do catch a couple every now and again but it's like of like watching Dukes of Hazard.. Bo and Luke usually get away...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    In the 5 mile stretch between the Sarvis Cove Trail and just south of Jerry's Cabin shelter there used to be a bunch of wooden trail marker signs.. They're all gone now and a few of the posts they were on are broken.

But, the signs that are beyond the ATV trails are still there.
    When I was up there on 12-31 I followed the old jeep road which used to be the AT.There were 4wheeler tracks in the snow and a blowdown that had just been cut with a chainsaw.The local bear hunters have been using this area for many years and I don't see them stopping until the USFS steps up and does some real work on new barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    4 wheelers are motorized vehicles and aren't supposed to be allowed on the AT (except where the AT is also a highway in town as in Hot Springs, NC) and the laws should be enforced regardless of voters...
    Absolutely!

While some ATVers are law abiding citizens WAY too many of them have that I'll go anwhere and do as I please attitude.

Damage to trails can occur in many ways. How much damage can occur is partly dependent on the trail itself(design, maintainenance, constuction methods, elevation, routing, soil structure, thread, typical weather patterns, etc) but, IMHO, JUST ONE ATVer can make much more damage to atrail when compared to a hiker on foot, mountain biker, or equestrian.

I can't speak for all equestrians on the east coast or there habits but in the mid west, southwest, and west on trails where equestrians and hikers share the trail I personally would MUCH rather be sharing the trail with horses than ATVers! Once I learned to yield to pack animals and/or equestrians I HAVE NEVER had a problem with sharing a trail with them! I can NOT say the same with ATVers! Rarely have I experienced an ATVer who wants to yield to or is as considerate of others on a trail as equestrians or those with pack animals. IMHO, equestrians and hikers have much in common in that they tend to respect each other to a MUCH greater degree than ATVers and hikers! With equestrians, those packing in/out, and for that matter hikers/hunters/fisherman, etc with goats, llamas, alpacas, trail dogs, etc they have learned to comfortably share the trail. ATVers should not even be on most hilking trails because of their level of intrusion, tendency towards erosion, and simply that it's VERY OFTEN ILLEGAL and/or unsafe for all!

El Sordo
    Images

it would seem that piano wire strung across the AT at neck height would do a lot to reduce the amount of ATV intrusion.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    it would seem that piano wire strung across the AT at neck height would do a lot to reduce the amount of ATV intrusion.
    Roofing nails in their mud hole tracks too!

Gosh, I figured my idea of volunteer snipers was pretty bad. Sheesh....

Steel, concrete filled bollards placed at inconvenient intervals would do the
    trick, that's what the state (Florida) did here at several of the nature parks.
    Lets the peeps and the horses through but not the ATVs.

Of course, that's a lot of work. And the die-hards will just cut a new path
    into the trail, wherever that's an option. This is, I am afraid, the old
    "better mousetrap" paradox.

I have ridden horses, bicycled, canoed and hiked many miles not to mention the areas I hunt. I also spend way too much time on internet forums. It is funny how each group complains about the others.

We would have so many more miles to hike and caretakers if we could all just get along. If you can drive an ATV in an area, you can bring the gear to make repairs or hall out an injured person or ......

Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    I have ridden horses, bicycled, canoed and hiked many miles not to mention the areas I hunt. I also spend way too much time on internet forums. It is funny how each group complains about the others.

We would have so many more miles to hike and caretakers if we could all just get along. If you can drive an ATV in an area, you can bring the gear to make repairs or hall out an injured person or ......
    Maybe some day there will be a law....

I have never ridden an ATV and don' like them but would much rather see ATV use on a trail than horse use. I've seen alot more destruction with horses.

geek

Images

I own an ATV and enjoy riding it but I have great LEGAL place to ride. I guess some people don't, and of course there are plenty of scofflaws as evidenced by other threads here on Whiteblaze. Is there a difference between the illegal ATV riders and "stealth campers" or people who sneak their dogs into the Smokies? People who smoke dope openly?
    People seem to think they only have to obey the laws they agree with personally. The solution is more enforcement, but in these budget cutting days that probably isn't going to happen so I suppose you just have to live with it. There are always scofflaws.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I have never ridden an ATV and don' like them but would much rather see ATV use on a trail than horse use. I've seen alot more destruction with horses.

geek
    Absolutely. Horses are very hard on hiking trails - and they crap everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    The solution is more enforcement, but in these budget cutting days that probably isn't going to happen so I suppose you just have to live with it. There are always scofflaws.
    Successful enforcement should pay for it's self. Enforcement increases revenue.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

i was thinking of praying for your soul.you have great anger. the dark side is strong with this one.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i was thinking of praying for your soul.you have great anger. the dark side is strong with this one.
    Pray for me too then, I was thinking it before I read it in here......

I've always wanted to try Hesco bastions at choke points for counter-mobility vs. ATV's. It's never seen land manager approval yet though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    Pray for me too then, I was thinking it before I read it in here......
    So you're willing to murder a teenager to keep him from riding an ATV on a trail? I see adolescents on 4 wheelers more than I see adults.

Images

So what is everyone so angry about? The fact that there is more pollution along that bit of the AT? There are 2 paths instead of 1? Are the ATVrs burning down the forest? Yes, the trail should not have motorized vehicles, but highways have signs prohibiting NON motorized ie. hitch hikers. How many of ya'll have hitched on a highway? Get over it, walk on.

Can you dig it?
    Images

Ok ok ok, yall ready for this? ATV's are allowed on the AT 1 day a year there so folks can go up to the Graves, as a result, the AT has to be cleared for ATV use the rest of the time so the work doesn't pile up etc. The area is full of logging roads and ATV tracts, its tough to keep folks off of the AT when its on an old road connected to a place where people can leagally ride ATV's/ Whats the solution? Rocky Fork! With others, the ATC bought 10,000acres to relocate this very piece of trail. I worked with Konnarock there this summer.

So no, its not lazy maintainers.....

Actually each of you hikers can help keep this problem under control. Next time you see an ATV pull out your camera and take a lot of pictures especially closeups and ones with the ATV and a white blaze next to it. We did this and sent these pictures to [email protected] with detailed information about where the ATV incident occurred. The ATC passed on the information to the proper authorities and the parents of the ATVer were prosecuted.

Images

GOOD for you! I saw the tracks in that area, but no one "in the act." However, did see some kids on bicycles leave one of the road crossings and head up the trail back where I had come from. It is a problem in that area.

Rain Man

Quote Originally Posted by entirelynutz View Post
    Actually each of you hikers can help keep this problem under control. Next time you see an ATV pull out your camera and take a lot of pictures especially closeups and ones with the ATV and a white blaze next to it. We did this and sent these pictures to [email protected] with detailed information about where the ATV incident occurred. The ATC passed on the information to the proper authorities and the parents of the ATVer were prosecuted.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++