WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    fixed..........

Uh...

Bear knows human food.

Bear smells human food in tent. (even if you are sitting in it)

Bear equates human food with tent

Bear destroys next tent it sees, food in it or not.

Bear must be destroyed or captured, tying up ranger duties. Hikers must find new places to camp in SNP which is tougher on a ridgeline and with backpacking rules.

(refixed)
    Last edited by Blissful; 05-25-2011 at 10:05.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Uh...

Bear smells food.

Bear smells food in tent.

Bear equates food with tent

Bear destroys tent, food in it or not. Unattended or not.

(Double fixed)
    uh...

no.

bear is afraid of human in tent

Let me add a little fuel to the fire. Two years ago I was south bound out of Gravel Spring Hut. I stopped at Elkwallow for a Milk Shake. While there some bears showed up and where climbing a apple tree. Well the people working there directed the people to go out and watch the cute bears (mom and two cubs) When I asked them, "What the hell are you doing" their response was, "Oh its ok they won't hurt you" Many of the tourist were running over with their cameras. Talk about conditioning the bears not to be afraid of people. Those two staff members should of been fired.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2938091/

Is it time to have some bear hunts with the meat to be donated to help feed the homeless and downtrodden?

By the way, Wake County is neither at the coast or in the mountains.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    The Park has closed the area around Bear Fence Mountain Hut due to bear activity.

Where did you get this info?

There is nothing on the SNP twitter feed, web site, or facebook page about this. Their web site has trail closures listed under "hiker alerts" so I don't think they're trying to hide anything.

-pfann
    -pfann (Relay)

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

According the North American Bear Center it is a myth that when bears loose their fear of people they become more likely to attack. In Eagles Nest Township, MN, residents have fed wild black bears for over 40 years. Dozens of bears have lost their fear of people over the years. No one was attacked.
    At the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary near Orr, MN, people have hand-fed and petted hundreds of wild black bears for decades. Until the mid-1990’s, the public was free to mingle with the wild bears without rules or supervision. People teased bears with food for pictures. Toddlers steadied themselves against 500-pound bears. People lifted children up to bears’ mouths for reasons beyond understanding. There were occasional nips and scratches, but no attacks.
    In Pennsylvania, Dr. Gary Alt spent over a decade studying a 7-square-mile community called Hemlock Farms where 7,000 people coexisted with 21 bears. That many bears in 7 square miles is a higher bear density than exists in any national park or national forest. People regularly hand-fed the bears. No one was attacked.
    Of the 60 something people killed by black bears since 1900 none were accustomed to being fed or petted.
    The Forest Sevice's own publication "How to Live with Black Bears":
    Most black bears will not enter a tent with people in it. Perfume may mask human odor, preventing bears from knowing a person is in the tent. Where bears already know about food being hung, hanging it might be only a delaying tactic to give you time to personally protect it.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post

Bear must be destroyed or captured, tying up ranger duties.

(refixed)
    How about letting someone other than a ranger harvest the bear and feed some needy people?

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post

Is it time to have some bear hunts with the meat to be donated to help feed the homeless and downtrodden?
    You have to be a troll if you think bears that wander into neighborhoods causing no damage need to be hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You have to be a troll if you think bears that wander into neighborhoods causing no damage need to be hunted.
    Sly, when bears are so numerous that they find their way to Wake County, it may be time to do something. And do you have a problem with feeding the poor and downtrodden?

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I contend that bears do not wander into neighborhoods, neighborhoods have wandered into the bears homes.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

I wish the authorities were working on relocating these bears to a safer environment. Last night one of these bears was killed by a car. Very sad.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Sly, when bears are so numerous that they find their way to Wake County, it may be time to do something. And do you have a problem with feeding the poor and downtrodden?
    I'm in agreement with this in general.

On a similar vein, we have so many deer in Central Illinois that driving at night is getting more and more dangerous. I have had 4 autos destroyed so far. One more and I'm an "ace".

We have needed more permits for deer and I think that has been in place recently. If the bear population gets too large, they need to be harvested as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    I wish the authorities were working on relocating these bears to a safer environment. Last night one of these bears was killed by a car. Very sad.
    Another reason to increase harvest.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 05-25-2011 at 12:19.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Figgsy13126 View Post
    Chilly willy...I'll be sure to show ur pic to all the doubters!
    Keep yer damn'd bear on a leash ... I don't want it pissing on my tent!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Raleigh, N.C. — Authorities are searching for two bears after at least nine reported sightings Sunday morning in north Raleigh and eastern Durham County.
    There have been no reports of damage from the bears.
    Have you ever tasted bear meat? Or is it only a taste for the "downtrodden?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Virginia Tortoise

I saw 0 bears while sectioning the Smokies and 4 in SNP. Did not see any while sectioning NJ. When I day hike in SNP I usually see at least one bear two thirds of the time. So I agree that SNP is the bear capital of the AT

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Had a bear in camp last week while at Birds Nest #3 Shelter in SNP. It was wondering around the shelter at night, I was in my tent behind the shelter and slept though it all. The next morning I noticed scratch marks in the dirt 5 feet from the tent. Guess the bear smelled something interesting. All food was hung on the bear pole.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Have you ever tasted bear meat? Or is it only a taste for the "downtrodden?
    Bear is good if cooked properly. http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html

I read somewhere that the SNP averages 1 bear per square mile. No hunting in the park, obviously.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    According the North American Bear Center it is a myth that when bears loose their fear of people they become more likely to attack. In Eagles Nest Township, MN, residents have fed wild black bears for over 40 years. Dozens of bears have lost their fear of people over the years. No one was attacked.
    At the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary near Orr, MN, people have hand-fed and petted hundreds of wild black bears for decades. Until the mid-1990’s, the public was free to mingle with the wild bears without rules or supervision. People teased bears with food for pictures. Toddlers steadied themselves against 500-pound bears. People lifted children up to bears’ mouths for reasons beyond understanding. There were occasional nips and scratches, but no attacks.
    In Pennsylvania, Dr. Gary Alt spent over a decade studying a 7-square-mile community called Hemlock Farms where 7,000 people coexisted with 21 bears. That many bears in 7 square miles is a higher bear density than exists in any national park or national forest. People regularly hand-fed the bears. No one was attacked.
    Of the 60 something people killed by black bears since 1900 none were accustomed to being fed or petted.
    The Forest Sevice's own publication "How to Live with Black Bears":
    Most black bears will not enter a tent with people in it. Perfume may mask human odor, preventing bears from knowing a person is in the tent. Where bears already know about food being hung, hanging it might be only a delaying tactic to give you time to personally protect it.

Your info is erroneous. Heres one that was killed in 2009:

Outposts

Outdoors, action, adventure

« Previous Post | Outposts Home | Next Post »
    Woman killed by bear she had been feeding

Comments (3)

(8)

(0)

August 11, 2009 | 1:37 pm

A woman who had been warned about the perils of feeding bears was killed by one of the animals.
    Donna Munson, a resident of Ouray County, Colo., was found dead outside of her home last week, her body mauled and partially eaten.
    According to Joel Burk, Ouray County Sheriff's investigator, Munson died of multiple traumas. The wounds were consistent with being attacked by a bear.
    A bear shot and killed near the woman's home is believed to be the one that attacked her. Though a necropsy showed that the mammal appeared to have been feeding on a human based on its stomach contents, the results are still inconclusive pending results of a DNA test.
    "We don't know for sure, but we feel it was one of the bears who regularly came to her residence," Burk said in a Grand Junction Sentinel article.
    Munson had been warned repeatedly that it is illegal and dangerous to feed bears, but continued to do so.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++