WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I'm a hunter and a hiker. You can't move at hiking speed and hunt very well, and you can't sit/still hunt and make distance. Two entirely different activities.

Yup.

That said.

The Rockville Bridge (just south of duncannon PA) area has some of the best small mouth bass fishing in the entire US. The main season runs June 18 through Oct. 31, size limit is 12 inches, catch limit is 6.

If ya wanted to take a couple of zeros at the halfway point that might be a good way to do it.

For many people LIFE is 'too hard'. Carrying a few survival items for self preservation and roughing it 'the old way' (you know, before there was plastic) isn't the end of the world.

Is it practical? That seems to be a hot button topic on this thread. Some people say it's fine, some people say it's not. I do appreciate both sides and it's given me some food for thought. It's only an idea, not a concrete plan. Mail drops are still a great option.

Is it safe? Unless some stranger gets a stick up their butt and creates an elaborate lie about how I'm using my dogs to climb trees and grab squirrels for me, then I suppose there's no harm in it. I'm still a little confused by the authorities comment.

I also fail to see how having a dog around will make life more difficult. If they can't do it, they go home. Me giving up on them because they're an inconvenience is just absurd. They currently do 20-30 miles every other weekend (and that's only because my schedule is restrictive). Sure the terrain in coastal Mississippi is vastly different than even Georgia, but they're not couch potatoes.

Do I really care about reaching Maine? No, not really. I'm not a purist, I'm only along for the ride. I'd be very proud of myself to do it, but I'm not going to go on with only sheer stubbornness getting me there. If I decide to go home, at least I can say I did what I went to do - enjoyed myself.

Default Backpacking because of hunting

I got into backpacking, hiking, because of hunting and fishing. Hike 6-10 miles into the back country out west to listen to an elk bugle is exhilerating in itself. Packing a 70-90 lb. load or organic meat, several trips, out is another story. Hunting during a long distance hike is probably not practical, but a few zero days in spring turkey season would be well worth the effort! I will always pack an ultralight spinning rod and reel for early morning trout and smallmouth along the way.

Anyone that is an avid hunter or fisherman knows the regulations in each state wheather washing a worm or calling a turkey.

Dont get blood on your clothing if you do bear bag it

I have a fishing license in pa so i do fish on trail here but wont anymore when i cross into new jersey so if your hunting or fishing try to keep the guts of your clothing bears may like that sent

Quote Originally Posted by medic mullins View Post
    Dont get blood on your clothing if you do bear bag it

I have a fishing license in pa so i do fish on trail here but wont anymore when i cross into new jersey so if your hunting or fishing try to keep the guts of your clothing bears may like that sent
    Actually, just handling fish/game is enough to leave a scent for a bear to detect. Even the food you eat leaves some kind of detectable scent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by long island bob View Post
    The Rockville Bridge (just south of duncannon PA) area has some of the best small mouth bass fishing in the entire US.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by long island bob View Post
    The main season runs June 18 through Oct. 31, size limit is 12 inches, catch limit is 6.
    The Rockville Bridge area of the Susquehanna is now part of a special regulations area that is catch and release only for Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass year round.
    http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/bigbass.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++