WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do we need better signs?

One of the things that always bugs be has to do with signs. Did you ever notice that they always have a nice big sign that lets you know that you are now entering sombody's political area like, National Forest or Trail Club jurisdiction, etc. or how far it is to some dirt road. When it comes to information that hikers need they have no signs. How about a sign to tell me where the next water might be or the next shelter or camping area? How about a sign that tells you where you are? You stand there in what you think is a place marked on all the maps as "rottencrotch Gap" but they have no signs. How about putting a few signs out in the middle of those long ridges that tells you where you are?

Images

Thumbs up

Great idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing all those new signs you're gonna put out on the trail!
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

it's the wilderness, not Interstate 95. Why would you want to clutter the trail with signs? A map will tell you where you are.

imho

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rsjrny View Post
    it's the wilderness, not Interstate 95. Why would you want to clutter the trail with signs? A map will tell you where you are.

imho
    amen......

There's plenty of signs throughout the Trail. Signage is more frequent is some parts of the Trail than others but I don't see a pressing issue here.

Now if it's because ultralight hikers want to be spared the onerous weight of carrying a map (let alone guidebooks and/or GPS), then by all means, let's have more signs.

Images

Georgia does a good job of giving hikers a sense of where you are along the trail. But I'm still pondering what the " Swag of the Blue Ridge" sign is all about.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by rsjrny View Post

imho
    ayup +1 and then some

We could build little barcodes into the individual blazes, and then when you swipe your iPhone by, it pulls up the.... Oh never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in FL View Post
    ...... Oh never mind.
    Yeah, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    One of the things that always bugs be has to do with signs. Did you ever notice that they always have a nice big sign that lets you know that you are now entering sombody's political area like, National Forest or Trail Club jurisdiction, etc. or how far it is to some dirt road. When it comes to information that hikers need they have no signs. How about a sign to tell me where the next water might be or the next shelter or camping area? How about a sign that tells you where you are? You stand there in what you think is a place marked on all the maps as "rottencrotch Gap" but they have no signs. How about putting a few signs out in the middle of those long ridges that tells you where you are?
    got me 16,000 plus AT miles and i never needed/counted on no stinkin' signs. it's walkin' is all

Images

Yup, we need more signs, important signs like how far to the next cashe of trail magic or AYCE or rodent free shelter, important stuff like that.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe more of those lovely cement posts like in SNP

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Its just hiking. Go take a hike!

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's Your Sign!

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Just change the indicator every 2 innings.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    These books tell you of nearly every twist and turn in the trail: https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...tid=0&compid=1

You can estimate approximately where you are by knowing what you're hiking speed is and how much time has passed since your last landmark. Distance = speed X time

Signs at trail junctions indicating where water, camping and other amenities available primarily to hikers are enough (sometimes more than enough). Occasionally a side trail with an outstanding view may deserve a sign as well as gaps and peaks, but even that may be overdoing it. If you have a map and compass (compass optional most places) and can use it (them) properly, you probably could get by without any signs whatsoever (though I'm still in favor of them, especially in the rain when I don't feel like digging out my map).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Here's Your Sign!

Dogs Are Not Allowed??? SERIOUSLY??? You don't even know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootise Roll Pop ...

Images

signs that simply state "You Are Here" should replace every blaze.

If it's a wooden sign, some yahoo will tear it down and use it to fuel his/her campfire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++