WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

hikers who your theory could work for but dosnt:

hippy, who no one is beating unless your the size and streangth of the only wanderer.

dude, who wouldnt wake when dragged so it wouldnt be fun for them

dirtbag
    dorkus
    hikerhead
    hikertrash
    looser

any of these names with a"yo!" in front of it makes your theory work. problem is, hikers are honest and perseptive. nattybo knows he was called by his name maby cause he was there and used his realtime data he collected . maby?
    matthewski

Storyteller
    Images

I heard some talk about this today while out shooting some photos for an upcoming AT Journeys story I am working on.

From what I heard, there apparently are some unanswered questions about the whole incident. I was told police were trying to find Nature Boy to talk to him because of some things that seemed out of whack or contradictory.

I am not going to post unsubstantiated rumors or hearsay, but from what I heard, there might be more to this whole story than what has been posted in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's more to the story........
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post

From what I heard, there apparently are some unanswered questions about the whole incident. I was told police were trying to find Nature Boy to talk to him because of some things that seemed out of whack or contradictory.

I am not going to post unsubstantiated rumors or hearsay, but from what I heard, there might be more to this whole story than what has been posted in this thread.
    i still believe the whole story is BS

Journal Entries

I know that few want to believe that you need to be able to protect yourself, but I believe that you you do. At all times, in all circumstances. How you choose to do that is a personal choice though.

Police and authorities do not prevent crimes. They ONLY solve them afterwards. ....Sometimes.

There are a good deal of bad people in the world. Yes odds are slim, but it doesnt matter if the odds are 100:1 or 100,000,000:1 if you are that 1. And somebody WILL be. Hoping that it isnt you is just that.....hoping. You have as much chance as the next person unless you put your odds in your favor.

As Mark Twain said.."There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics"

It is not improbably in areas with few other people around to stumble across persons doing something illegal, and then become a target. In that situation the situation can escalate to the point where they need to get rid of the evidence (you). It can result from you simply witnessing someone hitting a wife or girlfriend, or a rape, or stumbling upon someone cooking meth, or poaching deer, or harrassing someone else, or stealing something, or vandalizing something.

Images

see thats why I like to carry a blowgun and a few poison darts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I know that few want to believe that you need to be able to protect yourself, but I believe that you you do. At all times, in all circumstances. How you choose to do that is a personal choice though.

Police and authorities do not prevent crimes. They ONLY solve them afterwards. ....Sometimes.

There are a good deal of bad people in the world. Yes odds are slim, but it doesnt matter if the odds are 100:1 or 100,000,000:1 if you are that 1. And somebody WILL be. Hoping that it isnt you is just that.....hoping. You have as much chance as the next person unless you put your odds in your favor.

As Mark Twain said.."There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics"

It is not improbably in areas with few other people around to stumble across persons doing something illegal, and then become a target. In that situation the situation can escalate to the point where they need to get rid of the evidence (you). It can result from you simply witnessing someone hitting a wife or girlfriend, or a rape, or stumbling upon someone cooking meth, or poaching deer, or harrassing someone else, or stealing something, or vandalizing something.
    Police DO prevent crimes, which is why we havent had a major terrorist attack since 9-11. and you watch way too much TV. Yes, theres a lot of bad people in the world, but there are far more good people. The best self defense you have s your brain, and without one, any weapon is useless and dangerous.Your odds argumenbt applies to lightning and a million othr misplaced fears.

Journal Entries

1. I dont watch TV at all
    2. large scale terrorism and violent crimes are not the same thing.

Anyone that wanted to commit a small act of terrorism can easily do so. Easily. Terrorist just dont want to kill 1 person, or 10 people, then have evidence left that is damaging, they want to kill 10,000 which is much harder to do without a trail.

Someone can drive a car into a crowd of kids at a school, then shoot themselves. Simple terrorism and the police cannot do anything to prevent it or stop it.

Someone can hook up a $100 pump to a home water piping in a rented house in a subdivision and backflow common hazardous materials into the water and hurt the whole subdivision. Police cannot do anything to stop it or prevent it.

Someone can walk into a mall and shoot 15 random people, then turn the gun on themselves and the police cannot do anything to prevent it.

And I assure you, If you happen upon a rape at a remote parking area with nobody else around, the police will not protect you then either. Neither will "the other good people". You either can protect yourself, which you are entitled to do , or you can just hope that you never have to.

Some people carry mace, some practice martial arts, some carry a knife, some carry a gun, some carry a big stick. The common denominator is that you need to have a plan.

Some people carry mace, some practice martial arts, some carry a knife, some carry a gun, some carry a big stick. The common denominator is that you need to have a plan.
    99.9% of folks don't

Images

I dont know where you live, but im sorry you feel that way. Ive lived in NYC my entire life, have SEEN cops STOPPING crimes, and you seem to forget you only hear about the ones that werent stopped. Ive never felt the need to carry a weapon, and on the AT the threat is close to nonexistent. Everyone has a choice in life, to live in paranoid fear, or to live. I prefer to look for the good in people, to givr them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong, and to always find the common ground. My wits have kept me away from most dangerous situations, and have also gotten me out of a few.And I carry my swiss army knife,with corkscrew attachment, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Police DO prevent crimes, which is why we havent had a major terrorist attack since 9-11. and you watch way too much TV. Yes, theres a lot of bad people in the world, but there are far more good people. The best self defense you have s your brain, and without one, any weapon is useless and dangerous.Your odds argumenbt applies to lightning and a million othr misplaced fears.
    While they no doubt prevent the ocasional crime, they mostly investigate in the aftermath.

I can understand your reasoning in saying that the police do not "prevent" crimes, that they only follow up afterward. However I also, as other's have stated, do not believe this to always be the case. There are many crimes that have been/are thwarted by police, such as when they happen upon one occuring, see one taking place on cameras strategically placed in inner city high crime areas, subways, etc...also subway predators being caught by police officers posing as victims, etc...so this is not always the case. I do believe your argument that in a life and death situation you will most likely only be able to rely on your own abilities to get yourself safe if you are in an isolated area and with no other persons to provide help being available. Stubbling across a major crime such as a murder, etc...would definately put one in harms way if the individual(s) were willing to cover up their crime by insuring no one was able to report it. Then you would be put in a life and death situation. Let's say this did occur. Then the only real attempts to save onself would be at that moment to either fight or take flight. If you could run and be able to out run and elude your attackers, then this would probably be the best choice and strategy. However if you could not, then the only way to survive at that moment would be to engage them, and that would not be with fists, clubs, knives, mace, etc...it would be with a firearm. This is what you would need available in order to stand a decent chance of survival against a single or multiple opponent(s) hell bent on attack/murder. So unless you are willing to carry a firearm (which in all likelyhood would be a handgun), there really would not be too much one could do other than run if a person or persons who is/are commiting this type of major crime that you have inadvertently stumbled upon, and then decide you are a liability and in all likelyhood are armed themselves. Unfortunately the majority of hikers/backpackers are most likely not carrying a firearm, and unless they are willing to/are and know how to use it and use it well, then they will always remain vulnerable to a violent isolated encounter with a dangerous individual(s).

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1

I can just hear the guys on here saying: "So, you're saying there's a chance."
    Trillium

policeing is done by men and women in uniform because it prevents crime. its called crime prevention. and when a crime is commited that they have no way to stop...they are still a presence that stops most others. so the crimes that get thru are getting thru cause the cops cant prevent all crime. but they fully stop and prevent most. with cops, you cant just go steal food and medical supplys and clothes you may despratly need. with cops, you can learn where to get those things. with cops, you sleep protected and watched and the crimes that would definatly be being perpitrated against you are being prevented by their driving around all night while their babys grow up with only mommy at home in the dark scary night. but that child grows up knowing the night is dangerous and that her daddy sacraficed singing her bedtime songs and dtories cause he was doing what brave people do when things need preventing. cops dont prevent crimes? then how is it im alive. ive been helped by cops presence when i may have been killed and without them ever knowing. your wrong sir. living wrong as apposed to dead wrong. and prolly somewhat due to a cop somewhere sometime that may have helped you when the situation could have gone any way. disrespect cops and ill be unable to lambast you kind sir. but i also will be unable to seace my unending ranting. and i will be boreing you. so no. you are not correct.
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    99.9% of folks don't
    And most of the 99.9+++% live long, safe, productive -- even reasonably happy -- lives, nevertheless.

Even I, who routinely made a lot of people angry -- some bitter enemies -- while earning a living, never encountered a situation where any defense would have been useful.

Images

I sleep with an un-clicked blade next to my body, someone would have a rough night tryin to jump me in my sleep ... this is a very very rare occurance, yet by a punk ... still ... its very unlikely this would happen, yet the chance is still there ... otherwise this forum wouldn't be 11 pages+ .... but with trail journals and whiteblaze and facebook/twitter and any other source of information basicly within public reach, its the chance people take using those methods of updating family/friends ... you don't think this sort of thing will happen, but being prepared for it is a must ... be vigilant of those around you ... being caught by surprise is what will get you killed ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    I sleep with an un-clicked blade next to my body, someone would have a rough night tryin to jump me in my sleep ... this is a very very rare occurance, yet by a punk ... still ... its very unlikely this would happen, yet the chance is still there ... otherwise this forum wouldn't be 11 pages+ .... but with trail journals and whiteblaze and facebook/twitter and any other source of information basicly within public reach, its the chance people take using those methods of updating family/friends ... you don't think this sort of thing will happen, but being prepared for it is a must ... be vigilant of those around you ... being caught by surprise is what will get you killed ...
    it was in 77 or 78. at about 8 or 9 thousand feet at the base of gannet peak in the winds. my tentmate was scared of bears. so he left his swiss army knife open and stuck in the dirt bettween us and went to sleep. early in the am, i woke to something flailing in the tent wildly. it was my tentmate. he had rolled over and cut his finger deeply. he was so polite, he searched for first aid in the dark quietly as to not wake me. i turnned on my lamp and found a soaked with blood tent, bags and tentmate. what a dummy.
    matthewski

Images

Everyone has their own choice to carry or not carry protection.. that's what makes America great... I would rather be safe than sorry!

So what do we know now? Did NB get attacked or not? Did he (or someone else) file a false report to the police? Did he run off to Ohio for good? Fact is indeed more stranger then fiction.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I dont know where you live, but im sorry you feel that way. Ive lived in NYC my entire life, have SEEN cops STOPPING crimes, and you seem to forget you only hear about the ones that werent stopped. Ive never felt the need to carry a weapon, and on the AT the threat is close to nonexistent. Everyone has a choice in life, to live in paranoid fear, or to live. I prefer to look for the good in people, to givr them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong, and to always find the common ground. My wits have kept me away from most dangerous situations, and have also gotten me out of a few.And I carry my swiss army knife,with corkscrew attachment, just in case.
    Good points!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    it was in 77 or 78. at about 8 or 9 thousand feet at the base of gannet peak in the winds. my tentmate was scared of bears. so he left his swiss army knife open and stuck in the dirt bettween us and went to sleep. early in the am, i woke to something flailing in the tent wildly. it was my tentmate. he had rolled over and cut his finger deeply. he was so polite, he searched for first aid in the dark quietly as to not wake me. i turnned on my lamp and found a soaked with blood tent, bags and tentmate. what a dummy.
    Unclicked, not unsheathed ... sucked to have been him ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++