WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default new SMD Skyscape tents

Six Moon Designs has just come out with their line of UL Skyscpe tents. The lightest is around 11 oz.!! It's made of (what else) cuben fiber, and it's " 'spensive".

At less money their silnylon version. Very clever design.

Eric

Ron released all 3 versions of the Skyscapes for preorder last month maybe, it was a few weeks ago for sure. The Scout uses 190T Polyester and weighs in at 34 oz. The Trekker uses Silnylon and weighs in at 24 oz, and the X uses Cuben and weighs in at 16 oz. Both the Trekker and the Scout are offered at reduced prices until the end of May.

The Gatewood Cape weighs in at 11 oz.

I preordered the Trekker with a porch when they were made available to preorder...waiting on the middle of July to get here now...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Default Ordered the Trekker as well

Headed for the Colorado Trail in July and thought I could use a shelter upgrade. I'm pretty excited to see if this thing can be as good as it looks.

Well, I have a modded 28 oz. TarpTent Moment that I'm going to use on the CT in July. I'm a big fan of that tent.

Ron Moak's Skyscape has some similarities to the Moment and some advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Well, I have a modded 28 oz. TarpTent Moment that I'm going to use on the CT in July. I'm a big fan of that tent.

Ron Moak's Skyscape has some similarities to the Moment and some advantages.
    I considered the Moment, but at 6'3" it sounded like I'm a bit too tall for it. I think I'll appreciate the extra length of the Skyscape.

Good luck on your hike. When do you start? I'm hoping to leave somewhere around the 20th. I have to wrap up the trip by August 5, so I don't expect that I'll complete the entire trail this year. I'm much more interested in side trips/ 14ers and just being out for this one.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. Cheers!

The Skyscapes come to a point at the head, so you will need to factor than into things, so the tent will not be as long as you might imagine.

That is true, but I will also add that Ron makes his shelters with tall people in mind. But it is possible that 6'3" may be pushing this shelter, I wish I could say but mine is not in yet...

Just for an idea though if you click on the Skyscape X (on the SMD site), there is a picture of a NeoAir inside the tent. I cannot remember if it is a regular or a large, but I want to say it is a regular. If so, it looks like it will accommodate a longer pad pretty easily, but I do wonder how a wider pad will work up near the head of the tent. This is the size that Ron is quoting on the SMD site:

The width of the Skyscape in the middle is 48" (122 cm) while the width at the feet is 31" (80 cm). The overall length of the floor is 101" (256 cm).
    Also, you can check out what the Jolly Green Giant (6'5") has to say about them on his blog. He recently hit up Trail Days and spent a great deal of time with Ron and the Skyscape as well as with Judy & Marc from Lightheart Gear and their SoLong 6 tent. He has also posted a few pics inside and out of each tent.
    Last edited by STICK; 05-30-2011 at 13:44.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Hike smarter, not harder.

I bought the cheap Scout, because it's a great price, and I'm a gear wh*re. I think it will be a great loaner.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I received my Skyscape Trekker yesterday, and the first impression is overwhelmingly positive. It is plenty long enough, and has a good bit of height in which to sit up. I think there is even room to use this tent with my youngest when he gets just a bit older (only 6 months just now).

I haven't had time to get pictures, but will try to get some posted before leaving for Colorado on Sunday.

++ New Posts ++