WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Harrisonburg, VA to be Designated an Appalachian Trail Community(TM) - PRLog.Org (pre

Harrisonburg, VA to be Designated an Appalachian Trail Community(TM)
    PRLog.Org (press release)
    PRLog (Press Release) â?? Jun 01, 2011 â?? Harrisonburg, VA â?? On June 10, 2011, the city of Harrisonburg will be officially dedicated as an Appalachian Trail Communityâ?¢. Speakers from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC), Potomac Appalachian Trail Club ...

More...

Huh...mayb e there's hope that Los Angeles could be designated an "Appalachian Trail Community"
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Huh...mayb e there's hope that Los Angeles could be designated an "Appalachian Trail Community"
    I don't usually pay much attention to this new publicity campaign of the ATC, other than to notice who they add and then think of memories of that town during different visits.
    But come on...Harrisonburg? it's like 25 miles off trail and I'd be curious as to anyone that has used it as a trail stop.
    Is there a Ron Haven bringing hikers to town? Even Franklin is pushing it at 10 miles.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I don't usually pay much attention to this new publicity campaign of the ATC, other than to notice who they add and then think of memories of that town during different visits.
    But come on...Harrisonburg? it's like 25 miles off trail and I'd be curious as to anyone that has used it as a trail stop.
    Is there a Ron Haven bringing hikers to town? Even Franklin is pushing it at 10 miles.
    My thoughts exactly. I live in Luray, NE of Harrisonburg and I don't ever recall reading about H'burg being a trail town in the ALDHA companion, Thru-Hikers Handbook or any other guide that a typical hiker would use. It seems that some place like Luray, Front Royal, Daleville, or any other number of trail towns would have been a better fit. Sounds to me like someone made a "contribution". Just sayin'---sounds fishy.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

well other than the outfitter, Wilderness Voyagers, I can't think of anything Harrisonburg has that Elkton doesn't that a hiker would want and one has to drive through Elkton to get to Harrisonburg from the AT's closest access point at Swift Run Gap

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlaze View Post

Harrisonburg, VA to be Designated an Appalachian Trail Community(TM)
    PRLog.Org (press release)
    PRLog (Press Release) â?? Jun 01, 2011 â?? Harrisonburg, VA â?? On June 10, 2011, the city of Harrisonburg will be officially dedicated as an Appalachian Trail Communityâ?¢. Speakers from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC), Potomac Appalachian Trail Club ...

More...
    that's funny. who the hell goes to harrisonburg? where is it? has the ATC ever heard of Damascus? we ain't worthy. politics as usual. buncha maintainers must live in harrisburg and suck up to ATC my opinion

i nominate harrisonburg to the AT hall of fame for the least amount of hiker visits per year. when's it gonna end?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's funny. who the hell goes to harrisonburg? where is it? has the ATC ever heard of Damascus? we ain't worthy. politics as usual. buncha maintainers must live in harrisburg and suck up to ATC my opinion
    Didn't you see the "Appalachian Trail Community" sign being carried at this years trail days? Must have been some city official.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Didn't you see the "Appalachian Trail Community" sign being carried at this years trail days? Must have been some city official.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailda...in/photostream

i nominate harrisonburg to the AT hall of fame for the least amount of hiker visits per year. when's it gonna end?
    I was going to say Harrisonburg is quite a' ways from Swift Run Gap, almost 40 clicks i think. But nonetheless, a great, yet strange Valley town.

Might as well sign Charlottesville up while you're at it

heck - for that matter even Ruckersville is a better choice for a hiker - cheap motel within easy walking distance of a super walmart, subway right next to the motel, easy to get around using Greene county transit - only issue is that the transit doesn't run on Sundays and the closest pickup point is just outside of SNP (Goose Pond Rd & US33) instead of up by the entrance station - the walk down hill is not bad since the road mostly has good wide shoulders

Images

definitely not an AT community, but it should be a Massanutten Trail Community. It is a great town with Eastern Mennonite University and James Madison University. I'll be going there tomorrow for the state track and field championships.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    I'll be going there tomorrow for the state track and field championships.
    If you have any interest in the Civil War activity in the area, consider driving south a few miles to Dayton, VA and watch the Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign presentation.

Harrisonburg - Rockingham Historical Society
    382 High Street - Dayton, Va. 22821
    Tuesday through Saturday: 10 am to 5 pm

I've suggested they create a DVD of the presentation, but no luck so far.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

now thats funny i dont care who you are

but we did go into Harrisonburg (twice)
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I agree with the sentiments expressed above - never thought of Harrisonburg as a "trail town." The last Companion in my possession doesn't mention it.

If Harrisonburg, why not Staunton? How about Winchester?

It does have a Golden Corral......just saying. Yummmmmmm. On 33 a few miles before town, east of town.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    It does have a Golden Corral......just saying. Yummmmmmm. On 33 a few miles before town, east of town.
    LOL..... there's a man who thinks with his stomach.....
    I never visit the area without hitting up that GC
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Ruckersville has a good AYCE Chinese buffet ... just sayin'

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    heck - for that matter even Ruckersville is a better choice for a hiker - cheap motel within easy walking distance of a super walmart, subway right next to the motel, easy to get around using Greene county transit - only issue is that the transit doesn't run on Sundays and the closest pickup point is just outside of SNP (Goose Pond Rd & US33) instead of up by the entrance station - the walk down hill is not bad since the road mostly has good wide shoulders
    Hey I'll take that!! How do we go about it?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

beats me - maybe make up a map and description for the Companion and send it to Sly? Possibly leave some copies of the map and description in nearby shelters (where they will be used as fire starters or packed out as trash).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++