WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Brushing My Teeth With Dr Bronners

So, I have read of people using this miracle soap that can be used for anything, from cleaning their (backpacking) kitchens, washing their hair, face, body, clothes and even brushing their teeth with. Then I came across the Dr. Bronners in a recent edition of the Backpacker magazine. I noticed they said they like the peppermint best for using to brush their teeth with.

Now this sounds really great to me. I have been looking for ways to lighten my pack over the last few months, and this really seemed like a multiuse item. So, I figured what the heck and added a 4 oz bottle of the peppermint Dr Bronners soap along with a little 1 oz plastic squirt bottle (to repackage it) to an existing order at REI.

Also, in that same order was a TOOB Brush that I wanted to try. It is a neat little all-in-one toothbrush. It comes with a toothbrush, a plastic housing which also covers the head of the toothbrush and the bottom handle actually houses a tiny tube that can be filled with my own toothpaste. Total, $5.50 and 1 oz empty.

(I also did a video on "How do you brush your teeth?" in which I talked about the TOOB Brush along with some others. If you are interested, you can see it here:

How do you brush your teeth?)

So, my son and I are heading out for an overnight trip tomorrow as soon as I get off of work, and while packing our packs today, I decided to go ahead and repackage the Dr. Bronners. After doing so, I decided to just try brushing my teeth with a little to see what it tasted like.

I used my regular toothbrush and squirted a tiny bit on it. It is not as I had imagined, which was kind of thick liquid like the liquid hand washing soap, but rather pretty thinned out, but not quite as thin as water. First off, I was amazed at how such a tiny amount foamed up so well. I really felt like I was brushing my teeth. The taste was not awful as I had feared either.

So, I finished brushing my teeth and rinsed. Then it got me. It has a very strange and odd aftertaste. Not exactly bad, but no where near good. I can say it was not a pepperminty aftertaste... It made me want to wash my mouth out again with some more water, which didn't really help too much. It took about 5 minutes for the taste to go away.

So, will I use it again, I don't know. The best part of brushing my teeth for me is that nice after taste, especially in the morning! I will take it with my son and I on our trip tomorrow night, and I will use it again the next morning to see how it does for me then. Maybe it will be welcoming when compared to my morning breath. (And don't tell my son, but I am going to let him use it too...see what his response to it is... )

Anyway, has anyone else used the Dr. Bronners, or any other do-it-all soap to brush your teeth with? How did it go for you, and do you have a favorite flavor?

Thanks.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I tried it once. I will never, ever, do that to myself again.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

I too tried brushing with the peppermint Dr. Bronner's.... ONCE! I asked my dentist about alternatives to toothpaste while backpacking and he asked me how long I was usually out. I told him that most of my trips are long weekends and sometimes as long as 2 weeks. He said for short durations like I was talking about that brushing with water only was fine. The biggest benefit we get from toothpaste aside from making it more pleasurable due to the taste, was to provide fluoride. Our teeth can go a couple of weeks without a fluoride treatment.

Images

I have been a fan and user of the Docs stuff for years. Its worth checking out the movie on the history if you ever get the chance. As much as i do use the soap on a daily basis and like the bottle says about multitudes of uses for the stuff I will say brushing my teeth is not going to happen again, Love the stuff but i must second what Ender said to paraphrase Ender " never again"

Haha...so is it the aftertaste that got yall too then?

Honestly, while brushing was not that bad. Kind of bland if anything. But, I am giving it one more shot... just for kicks...

Dobie, thanks for the official word on using h20 only for those periods of time.

Also, on m blog, in one of the comments a guy directed me to the toothpaste dots and they look very interesting too. Check them out here:

http://jjmatheshikes.blogspot.com/20...dots.html#more
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

I just carry a small tube of tooth paste. I don't care how much it weights. I doesn't really matter that much.
    I don't want to brush my teeth with soap when I'm hiking. My teeth deserve the best.
    Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 06-02-2011 at 21:41.

Images

Default Tired it once, still have bad dreams about it

I was told by my Grandfather a long time ago, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Trust me, this falls into that category

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Yuk. I don't mind carrying a little travel size tube of toothpaste.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

Yeah I dont get it. Dr Bonners is freaking soap. And really, yer not man enough to carry a couple ounces of toothpaste?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I liked your video on your blog! I also think the toothpaste dots are very interesting. Might have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Yeah I dont get it. Dr Bonners is freaking soap. And really, yer not man enough to carry a couple ounces of toothpaste?
    I wouldn't say I am not man enough, as much as I am not afraid to try something that could possibly be used as a multi-use item... I am sure there are worse things than this... Besides, it does say that it can be used to brush your teeth with...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    Yuk. I don't mind carrying a little travel size tube of toothpaste.

Got that right.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up What are good friends for??

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    So, I have read of people using this miracle soap that can be used for anything, from cleaning their (backpacking) kitchens, washing their hair, face, body, clothes and even brushing their teeth with. Then I came across the Dr. Bronners in a recent edition of the Backpacker magazine. I noticed they said they like the peppermint best for using to brush their teeth with.

Now this sounds really great to me. I have been looking for ways to lighten my pack over the last few months, and this really seemed like a multiuse item. So, I figured what the heck and added a 4 oz bottle of the peppermint Dr Bronners soap along with a little 1 oz plastic squirt bottle (to repackage it) to an existing order at REI.

Also, in that same order was a TOOB Brush that I wanted to try. It is a neat little all-in-one toothbrush. It comes with a toothbrush, a plastic housing which also covers the head of the toothbrush and the bottom handle actually houses a tiny tube that can be filled with my own toothpaste. Total, $5.50 and 1 oz empty.

(I also did a video on "How do you brush your teeth?" in which I talked about the TOOB Brush along with some others. If you are interested, you can see it here:

How do you brush your teeth?)

So, my son and I are heading out for an overnight trip tomorrow as soon as I get off of work, and while packing our packs today, I decided to go ahead and repackage the Dr. Bronners. After doing so, I decided to just try brushing my teeth with a little to see what it tasted like.

I used my regular toothbrush and squirted a tiny bit on it. It is not as I had imagined, which was kind of thick liquid like the liquid hand washing soap, but rather pretty thinned out, but not quite as thin as water. First off, I was amazed at how such a tiny amount foamed up so well. I really felt like I was brushing my teeth. The taste was not awful as I had feared either.

So, I finished brushing my teeth and rinsed. Then it got me. It has a very strange and odd aftertaste. Not exactly bad, but no where near good. I can say it was not a pepperminty aftertaste... It made me want to wash my mouth out again with some more water, which didn't really help too much. It took about 5 minutes for the taste to go away.

So, will I use it again, I don't know. The best part of brushing my teeth for me is that nice after taste, especially in the morning! I will take it with my son and I on our trip tomorrow night, and I will use it again the next morning to see how it does for me then. Maybe it will be welcoming when compared to my morning breath. (And don't tell my son, but I am going to let him use it too...see what his response to it is... )

Anyway, has anyone else used the Dr. Bronners, or any other do-it-all soap to brush your teeth with? How did it go for you, and do you have a favorite flavor?

Thanks.
    LOL, Im glad your my friend STICK!!!! I read something about Dr. Bronners about brushing your teeth and using it to take a bath with. Im so gald you check it out before me!!!! I think im going to use the little tube from wal-mart. BECAUSE YOUR MY FRIEND I'LL LET YOU USE SOME IF YOU LIKE. Great video too. HS

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I tried it once. I will never, ever, do that to myself again.
    Me too. I would have to be far from civ to use it again.
    If i forget toothpaste I would just brush with water.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    LOL, Im glad your my friend STICK!!!! I read something about Dr. Bronners about brushing your teeth and using it to take a bath with. Im so gald you check it out before me!!!! I think im going to use the little tube from wal-mart. BECAUSE YOUR MY FRIEND I'LL LET YOU USE SOME IF YOU LIKE. Great video too. HS

Haha... Thanks man!

I am waiting for the person to chime in that does use it...I know there are some out there...

Have y'all ever heard of tooth powder? All the benefits of toothpaste without the extra weight. In a pinch baking soda will do the trick too.

One of these days I'll get around to trying to dehydrate toothpaste to make my own powder.

Dennis

I don't find Peppermint Dr.B's too bad for toothpaste, but it's definitely a little odd when compared to the texture, taste, and overall feeling that our American toothpastes usually produce. I'll use it before I pack 'real' toothpaste but I usually use, and like better, Baking Soda for tooth paste.

It works great especially for the short term (some dentists seem to not recommend it for long-term use, as they say it is too abrasive). It's multi-use (rub a pinch under the stinky pits if you must, or make a little bit of paste for bug bites, for example); a teaspoon or two in a small baggy packs small and weighs little.

I just use water. And dental floss.

I'm usually not out for more than a weekend, so I just use water and don't bother with toothpaste. There's less to carry, and I can brush right before bed and not have to worry about hanging my brush with my food in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkeener View Post
    Have y'all ever heard of tooth powder? All the benefits of toothpaste without the extra weight. In a pinch baking soda will do the trick too.

One of these days I'll get around to trying to dehydrate toothpaste to make my own powder.

Dennis
    +1 for tooth powder. It's lighter and easier to rinse than toothpaste.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++