WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default SMOKEY MTN National Park 6/8 - ???

This is my first ATsection hike. Was thinking about the Smokey Mountain Park from about I-40 to Fontana Dam (about 80 miles) and maybe some in between (Cades Cove and some of the waterfall trails). I am going no matter what but am a little reluctant to go solo. I have 7 - 10 days but am versatile. Let me know if you can join me for any portion. M/42

I did this as my first section in 1997. Don't worry about going solo..you will be far from alone.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Journal Entries

Thanks R. - I sure hope so.

Barefoot at sea level

I'm doing that stretch in late June. Best info I have puts the mileage at 70, not counting any side trips. Better get your shelter reservations made ASAP, if you plan on going in less than a week. To me, going solo means I am 100% in charge of my own pace, have nobody bitching about me going too fast or slow, dawdling too much for photo ops or just to put my feet up, or wearing them out. I'll be worrying only about my own level of thirst, exhaustion, boredom, etc., not about anybody else's. But going southbound also means lots of chances to meet other folks both during the day and at the shelters, and that's one of the attractions of the trail for me.

Journal Entries

That's a great point and I have taken that into consideration. I have never been on the AT before so I am unsure of the amount of people I will run into. I have done similar hikes in the desert southwest but have always had a couple of buddies. I wanted this one to be more of a "ME" time - a pilgimage. However, I know that I am not much of an alone person especailly after several days. Everyone is telling me that I will see (and meet) lots of fellow hikers and that most are very social. I hope so. I am really looking forward to this.
    ONE MORE THING - in regards to the shelters - If the shelters are full does that mean I just can't go. I carry a very primitive "tent" (actually two ponchos) and a hammock. I could still camp there right? I know these seem like petty questions but I JUST DON'T KNOW! Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Tweeter,
    there wont be too many opportunities for waterfall side trips close by the AT. Most will require a the better part of a day to get to and back to the AT. There are, however some really nice side trips that you might want to consider.

- TriCorner over to Laurel Gap and down to Gunter Falls (probably stay at Laurel)
    - Dry Sluice to Enloe Creek and back (stay at #47)
    - Icewater to Mt LeConte via Boulevard Tr (probably stay at Mt LeConte shelter and enjoy the lodge in the afternoon/evening)
    - Forney Ridge Trail to Andrew's Bald and back (4 mile RT)
    - Welch Ridge Trail out to High Rocks and back
    - Doe Knob to Gregory Bald and back
    - LakeShore Trail (from Fontana) out to Hazel Creek and back (visit ghosttown of Proctor)

note that in most places, as soon as you leave the AT, you will be headed downhill fast, which means a steep climb back to the AT.

you will want to get reservations for all the shelters you plan to stay at. Most of the backcountry campsites do not require reservation, but some are restricted capacity and do require permits. The GSMNP website lists locations where reservations are needed. i would lock down the shelter reservations first and find where you have holes in the schedule. Then plan your side trips around that. Tell the reservations person you talk to what you plan to do, and they are pretty good at designing an itinery that will work with shelter availability.

Also, we are getting reports of water sources along the AT starting to run slow (dry season and high heat). Some of the side trails to campsites may be a great alternative for getting a decent water supply as well as taking a dip in a cold mtn stream.

have fun. Let me know if you need any additional information.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Journal Entries

OX,

This is awesome info. I will map out some of these points in my trek. I am making those reservations now. I am getting really excited about this. CAN'T WAIT TIL THIS WEEKEND!!!

Tweeter, here's the link to the Smokies regs on camping permits & reservation requirements.

Journal Entries

great - thanks so much!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter21 View Post
    This is my first ATsection hike. Was thinking about the Smokey Mountain Park from about I-40 to Fontana Dam (about 80 miles) and maybe some in between (Cades Cove and some of the waterfall trails). I am going no matter what but am a little reluctant to go solo. I have 7 - 10 days but am versatile. Let me know if you can join me for any portion. M/42
    Tweeter: I have been hiking for over 13 years in this area and for most of that time I have been solo. You should have a great time. I have not been to Mollies but once and I enjoyed it very much and the view was interesting. Most of my time has been up from Cades Cove and over to Spence and Russell Fields shelters with some side trips to Rocky Top and Thunderhead Mtn.

Enjoy your trip
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Journal Entries

capt, I will cover some of that same area. I love the Cades Cove and Clingman Dome areas. I have been there several times but never hiking. I have all shelter reservations made and everything is set. I will be heading out in a few days.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I am using most of them for this trip. WISH ME WELL!!!

Tweeter,
    Also note that about 30 miles of trails on the western end of Cades Cove (around Abrams Falls) is still closed due to an F-4 tornado that went through there a few weeks ago. If you want a valley experience, consider Cattaloochee Valley to visit the elk herd and take in some of nice mountain streams.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Tweeter,
    Also note that about 30 miles of trails on the western end of Cades Cove (around Abrams Falls) is still closed due to an F-4 tornado that went through there a few weeks ago. If you want a valley experience, consider Cattaloochee Valley to visit the elk herd and take in some of nice mountain streams.
    Here is a map of the closed trails:
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ap-5-31-11.pdf

Journal Entries

OK - thanks for the info. Probably wasnt going to make that section this go around. I will look into the Catt... valley for my next trip - maybe this fall. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

++ New Posts ++