WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default bottle or bladder?

Reading old posts last night on the WB I read a sub thread, within a larger thread that suggested the UL movement was away from bladders and toward bottles. This surprised me and I wondered if it was true and if so, why?

I just purchased a ULA Circuit and was intending to get a Platypus or some other type of water hydration bladder. Now I'm wondering if I should just use a bottle.

What are the pros and cons here? Extra appreciation for comments specific to the ULA Circuit.

Winged

Images

I don't like bladders 'cause I can't immediately tell how much water I have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie Swift View Post
    I don't like bladders 'cause I can't immediately tell how much water I have left.
    Ditto.......

I just made the switch back to bottles.

Reason is I also just dumped the pump for a Streripen which doesnt work well with bladders. I got sick of trying to stuff a wet bladder in my pack everyday. I also got sick of that warm nasty water that comes unexpectantly at the bottom of the bladder.

I carry two gatorade bottles and a Steripen. Dropped my weight quite a bit and there is a ton more room in my pack now.

Preparing water is also alot quicker now and I don't even have to open my pack.

I switched to bottles a few years ago. I was getting dehydrated with bladders because small sips would quench my thirst, but wasn't enough to stay hydrated without being able to see how much (or little) I was drinking. Plus I don't have to worry about cleaning the bladder on long trips. With a ULA Catalyst, I use the taller 24oz (.7L) Gatorade bottles with the twist cap on the shoulder straps. The bottles are lightweight, easy to find, and you can replace them every few weeks.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

Default Both

I use a 1 litter platapus, the smaller one, and two one litter water bottles.

An Aquafina bottle or similar is lighter than a platy and that in itself is an appeal for the ULer. Typically less water is carried at a given time, which means more filling up when possible, which then means more digging into the pack for the bladder (unless it's hung from the outside, of course); bottles are quick to get to and fill. As suggested, they are also more conducive to Steripen use, which also works for me.
    With that, I do carry a 2l bladder, empty, for in-camp use when I know I'll be spending time in camp on a specific trip.
    I do like the platy hose, however. With the connector threaded on loosely to a 1l Smart Water bottle (to avoid creating a vacuum) and using an additional piece inserted as a straw, I drink from the hose that's tapped into the bottle. I sip often from the hose and while easily able to judge my water level; of course, it's on the outside and easy to get to. YMMV

Bottles.

You never have to clean them, just replace them in town. 1.5 liter Aquafina bottles for big water loads, otherwise just a 1 liter soda bottle.

The absence of that 'bladder taste' is another reason. You can also take big swigs, not paltry sips as was already mentioned. Soda bottles are cheap compared to nalgene, etc, and they come with a pre-installed tasty beverage.

I can't think of 1 good reason to carry a bladder.

Carry an extra bottle cap.

-postholer

Images

I carry a 4 liter water bladder with a hydration hose and a 1 liter bottle.
    In the summer you have to be able to carry enough water to last.

Panzer

Gatoraide/Poweraide/Aquafina bottles...cheap, lightweight, simple, and easily replaced. I do use a platy type container for water in camp.

I used to use a bottle, and disregarded bladders until I discovered the lightweight and tasteless platypus.

I have been using a platy for the last decade or so, and have no intention on going back to a bottle.

As to knowing how much water I have left, I drink as much as my body needs, staying aware of upcoming water sources, temperature, and topography in order to gauge how much I need. This works fine for me.

I have read that rationing water is not a physiologically prudent course of action, although I cannot recall the specifics behind the various studies which determined this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by postholer.com View Post
    I can't think of 1 good reason to carry a bladder.
    Bottles take up space in your pack when empty. Space is a big issue on longer hikes.

Panzer

My bottles - empty or full - are always kept in the exterior side pockets or strapped to my shoulder straps. Never inside my packs.

Images

I had this conversation with someone at an outfitter once. they made an awesome point. Its much easier to take an empty bladder out of a pack then it is to put a full one back in.
    Do you really want to empty out and rearrange half your pack everytime you feel your bladder back up, just so it can fit back in?

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mary and I each have two Platy 1L "bottles" which fit nicely in our side pockets. Not as handy as a bladder, but lighter and leaves more room for food in the pack. I just bought a ULA Circuit, and the idea of carrying 2 liters on the front of the shoulder straps has a lot of appeal. I may have to invest in a couple of of bottles of gatoraid!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

i take a 3L platypus and an empty gatorade bottle. I dont have to fill the bladder completely, but it comes in handy for cooking water, etc. the empty bottle I'll use to camel up at water sources, and because sometimes you just need to drink instead of sip.

Thanks everyone! Am I ever glad I asked. Bottles it is. I really like the idea of traveling with an empty platypus then, once at camp, using it as water source, maybe even a bit of a shower/rinse.

I use both, bottles while hiking and bladder at camp sites to fill for cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I had this conversation with someone at an outfitter once. they made an awesome point. Its much easier to take an empty bladder out of a pack then it is to put a full one back in.
    Do you really want to empty out and rearrange half your pack everytime you feel your bladder back up, just so it can fit back in?
    While my pack has a "hydration pocket", I do not use it for my water bladder (I use it to store my poncho and maps).

Instead, my platy sits on the top of my pack, next to my filter, both of which are the first things accessible when I open the top of my pack.

Images

I usually use both. A 1/2 liter platy with hose for sipping on while hiking, a 1 or 2 liter platy with my gravity flow system attached (for large amounts of water at camp, etc) and a 1/2 water bottle for mixing up drink mix. I rarely carry more than 1 liter. I like the bottle for drink mix, since the mix makes the bottle go funky pretty quickly, even if you rinse it out regularly and it is easily replaced.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++