WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ozark Highlands Compared to Appalachian

I'd like to hear from hikers who have thru hiked the Appalachian and also hiked the Ozark Highlands or Ouachita Trails as to how they compare in regards to difficulty and climate. I am a few years away from attempting the AT and don't plan on doing any section hikes. I want it to all be a new experience. The Ozark Highlands and Quachita are only a few hours away and make good week long hikes. I'm hoping those experiences will prepare me for the AT.

The AT is more difficult because the pulls are longer and soem sectins are just not friendly with the rocks you need to cross. But, overall, the trail base is better, there seems to be better use of switchbacks obverall, and the stopping points(shelters and camping areas) are more plentiful. It is not the difficulty of the hike that will get you. Your legs will get trail hardened in about a week and as the days go by you'll naturally do more miles. The difficulty in thru hiking the AT or any really long trail is the emotional side. Regardless of the age, people miss home/family, the endless days start making people try remembering just why they planned to do the whole thing, ect. Do the OHT without family support, relying on resuplying as you go, and if you hate to see the end rather than looking forward to the end then you can do the AT. I think the OHT is hotter and has more chiggers/ticks than does the AT.

I hiked the Ozark and Oachita trails in preparation for my thru. The main difference is the grade of the trail; the walking is substantially easier (not many rocks, except for one part on the Oachitas in OK), and the climbs are very gradual compared to the AT. Climate-wise I don't recall any major differences, except maybe the increased winds and more variable weather that come with bigger mountains. But like Mountain Dog said, although the AR trails are much easier in terms of elevation and terrain, the physical aspect is sort of irrelevant considering the hardest part of an AT thru hike is mental (i.e. staying motivated). My longest section was a 10 day hike from Queen Wilhelmina to Pinnacle Mt on the OT, and it was actually a very different experience than anything on the AT because of the solitude. The social aspect of the AT helps a lot, in regard to maintaining motivation.

i found the ozark highland trail very over grown but the first 20 miles were very well blazed the water is a weird blue color neat really.. the trails not bad but real steep short climbs.. bugs and poisionus plants were also bad i went this time of year last year ill never go again unless its winter... OHT wasnt as awsome as the AT in any way. i think it was calld black rock but that place was cool very neat view a lil cabin there with a care taker she has drinks and snacks for sale as well..

Images

I have done sections of the OHT and agree with all above. The AT section we did was harder due to the very long ups and downs. The OHT is just beautiful though. Tim Ernst has the best guide. Check out his site at www.Cloudland.net

Images

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful reports. I grew up in Arkansas but have only hike Pinnacle Mtn, Lake Fort Smith and Petit Jean among its trails. Next time home, I plan to hike some of the OHT or the OT or both, so your advice is most appreciated. Thanks again!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

it was still a very nice time and walk .. just no AT

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

ive hiked the ozark highlands, part of the ouachita, and the AT. the trails in arkansas, in my opinion, are climate dependent as to the comfort of hiking them. they are not exactly enjoyable may thru september. especially may, in which ticks and bugs are horrendous, and the trail can be very overgrown in places. so overgrown that it is difficult to find and/or follow in places. not to mention the temperatures can approach unbearable in the summer. additionally, the lesser known trailheads are difficult to find and to get to if you are not hiking them thru. obviously, the AT is not difficult to follow and you rarely lose your way, is easily accessible, and never gets overgrown or as hot. if it does get warm, the AT cools down at night. temps in AR can be 100 during the day and 95 at night. as to terrain, the AT down south and up north are generally more rugged than AR. the AR trails would be more like the mid-atlantic AT. dont shy away from hiking in AR though - just be a three season hiker and exclude summer.

that being said Im heading to the ozarks in a couple weeks
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++