WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Reintroducing myself

Hi everyone. I have been away from this forum for a long time and I just wanted to see if I even fit in here anymore. I am an avid outdoorsman and a world traveler. I am a photographer, writer, and adventurer. I am a hiker/backpacker at heart, but practice and teach outdoor survival skills like Jungle Survival and Woodland Survival. I use some pretty light gear from Gossamer, Fanatic Fringe, and Mountain Laurel. I am also not sure where I fit in the Ultralight world. My gear during this last weeks backpacking trip was down to 4 pounds base gear. My weight for woodland or the recent Peru Jungle Survival trip was also 4 pounds of gear. So, where does that put me?

I guess I am caught in between Ultralight backpacker and outdoor survivalist. I am the Survival group outcast because all my gear isn’t bulletproof and often criticized by the backpacker crowd because I carry a knife larger than a Vic Classic.

I would like to share my recent trip pictures, adventures, and gear if that is alright with everyone?

-Reuben

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bear the Dog View Post
    I guess I am caught in between Ultralight backpacker and outdoor survivalist. I am the Survival group outcast because all my gear isn’t bulletproof and often criticized by the backpacker crowd because I carry a knife larger than a Vic Classic.
    I'm just an outdoors person.

Why make it complicated ?????
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I'm just an outdoors person.

Why make it complicated ?????
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that I was making anything complicated!

-RB

Awesome!!!!

no ones laughing or jokeing. please continue. what age did you know you must learn to eat rat?
    matthewski

Seems like you may have some useful insights to offer, with plenty of room for disagreement. I think you have come to the right place.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Seems like you may have some useful insights to offer, with plenty of room for disagreement. I think you have come to the right place.
    Thanks, used to post here years ago and always recomended new people out in the world to this site. I even made quilts and sold them here before. I seem to like this place more so than backpackinglight, seems easier to get info. Maybe it's the layout.
    Thanks again amigo!
    -RB

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bear the Dog View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that I was making anything complicated!

-RB
    Partially joking. But why this AND / OR dichotomy?

Take your big knife and your light pack.

No need to worry about where you fit in... "Outdoors person" is the label everyone uses...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

welcome back...

Welcome back...do remember you making some awsome lightweight summer quilts a few years ago.

Just Hitting My Stride!

I, for one, am always willing to read of other's experience. For starters, can you describe your 4 pound base gear and weather conditions you encountered? Welcome back.

Images

Welcome back. I dont personally remember you, but I similarly come and go here too.
    skinny d

Images

Default Welcome back!

Absolutely, welcome back. Backpacking light and having the experience attidude of a survival approach is certainly a welcome perspective. There is no need to fine a "title" under which you must fit. Each of us are different.

It's all about getting to and enjoying the outdoors.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    welcome back...
    Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Welcome back...do remember you making some awsome lightweight summer quilts a few years ago.
    Thanks, and yes, I used to make and sell them here. I got real busy with my travels and stopped making them. I have been using my original one I made in 2007 and it is still going strong.

40F rating, 10 oz for me (5'8").

others

Quote Originally Posted by Espero View Post
    I, for one, am always willing to read of other's experience. For starters, can you describe your 4 pound base gear and weather conditions you encountered? Welcome back.
    I can post a few pictures for you. This is the gear I usually have and used for two trips to Mt. Whitney, CA where we encountered everything from rain, to hail, at elevations ranging from 12,000+ feet up to the top, over 14,000.

sleep gear
    10 oz homemade quilt, MLD Superlight Bivy, Gossamer Gear Nightlight sleep pad (4oz). Integral Designs Poncho Tarp, 8 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    Welcome back. I dont personally remember you, but I similarly come and go here too.
    Nice to see some familiar faces here.

-RB

Working on Forestry Grad schol

welcome back. I'm looking forward to your posts.

If you were exactly like me I would still disagree with you, but it wouldn't be as interesting.

Good grief I'm 49.

++ New Posts ++