WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Hot To Hike

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Go take a hike in the mountains. Umm , well ... You do have mini mountains there in Illinois don't you ??
    A few hours from here might have a couple hunderd feet hills. In my county the contour lines are in centimeters.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

All of the forests in New Mexico were closed early last week due to drought. Last Sunday we thought we had a line that Bandelier National Monument (at Los Alamos) was going to close Sunday night. After our 2 hour drive there found it was closed on the Friday before. We pretended to hike on the closed loop ruins trail but it was to hot, dry and dusty to be fun. Left through the Valle Caldera for what was a normal trip. Wake up Monday to find the labs closed and Bandelier evacuated due to the fire. Although the fire 11 years ago helped by burning previous "deadfall", the town was saved yesterday just like last time - only because the wind direction changed.

I read that a 1 acre fire (started and contained today) at the National Labs was caused by a squirrel. Don't know whether he was smoking or playing with fireworks but I suspect an electrical transformer was involved. It was also reported that the fate of the squirrel is unknown.

I hear thunder in the nearby Sandia mountains but with out rain that is not good. Also every 15 minutes a water tanker flies over my house to LA. My summer has been put on hold for a while....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I glad I'm not on the trail today. Its just too hot to hike.

I remember back in 2001 I was on the trail during a heat wave where is was 95 or above for 3 days. It made me feel like I was hiking for a week. It just washed me out. Even the young people i met found excuses to get off the trail.

Its supposed to be close to 100 today and tomorrow. yikes.

Panzer
    ps I just measured the temperature of my black shingle roof to be 175 degrees in the full sun.

I started at Springer Mountain in June of 1977 and hiked North all summer... was one of the hottest recorded summers and also included a drought. 90* temps would have been a blessing.

Images

another day I'm glad I'm not on the trail. The heat index was about 105 today. I'm at home with the A/C set to 74 degrees. Its actually a little cold here. ha ha ha suckers

Panzer

It's so hot here in Texas that we make campfires to cool off!

It is usually 100 -110 degrees here in the summer, heat does not bother me, I just keep drinking water and rest in the shade as I can.

Now cold? I am quite whimpy in the cold! I guess I have never owed a real coat in my life (not really cold here) so I need to toughen up huh?
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Images

I prefer early spring and fall, no bugs is big for me, was in SW Virginia at the James River for the 1st HOT day of last year, 96 degrees, miles and miles of uphill hiking, about killed me after little sleep, 7 hours of driving, too much caffeine, took breaks mid afternoon, ate late, hiked until near-dark. Hot weather hiking is tough, water is a serious issue that has to be paid attention to.

another day I'm glad I'm not on the trail. The heat index was about 105 today. I'm at home with the A/C set to 74 degrees. Its actually a little cold here. ha ha ha suckers

Panzer
    Agreed, the heat just saps the energy. Too hot to hang comfortably in a hammock with a bug net tonight at the Antietam Shelter.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Heat index 110 here today,checked Blood MTN wilderness weather and heat index there was 105, brutal. Had a mild sunstroke when I was young and don't do well in the heat, especially direct sunlight. Stay safe and cool my friends!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

It is cooking here in the midwest and so dry. I did go kayaking in Kansas last Saturday and wore a huge brim hat and sunscreen galore. Since I am in the middle of work, I go out every evening and walk and it is just brutal. I really feel for anyone backpacking in this heat. Take care

I glad I'm not on the trail today. Its just too hot to hike.

I remember back in 2001 I was on the trail during a heat wave where is was 95 or above for 3 days. It made me feel like I was hiking for a week. It just washed me out. Even the young people i met found excuses to get off the trail.

Its supposed to be close to 100 today and tomorrow. yikes.

Panzer
    ps I just measured the temperature of my black shingle roof to be 175 degrees in the full sun.

PANZER, I hear you only hike like 5 miles in a day. You should be able to do that before the sun even gets over the trees in the morning...lol In any event, I had a great time camped next to you at the Billville feed. I enjoyed your company. Hope you can come up to my place when the fall comes for some COOL WEATHER hiking.....

It's like 110 heat index today here in Illinois. Heading to Yosemite on Friday. Will probably be shaking ice off my tent on Saturday morning..................CAN............NOT....... ........WAIT
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    It's like 110 heat index today here in Illinois. Heading to Yosemite on Friday. Will probably be shaking ice off my tent on Saturday morning..................CAN............NOT....... ........WAIT
    Sounds great! Have a fun and safe trip!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    PANZER, I hear you only hike like 5 miles in a day. You should be able to do that before the sun even gets over the trees in the morning...lol In any event, I had a great time camped next to you at the Billville feed. I enjoyed your company. Hope you can come up to my place when the fall comes for some COOL WEATHER hiking.....
    Well, I did a 13 mile day the last time I went out with HarryFred and Bad Andy. Although, I do like short days better. I like to maximize my camp time.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 07-23-2011 at 01:17.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Panzer
    I hiked with Wren 19 miles yesterday. We were going to try for 27 then 20. We got to ******* ******* and both said enough. She is zeroing with a friends parents in ******* till the heat and chance of thunder storms goes away. I worked all day in the tire shop so yeah I'd still hike, at least I'd be out side.

I'm up for a cold weather hike or even camping trip. couple of nice trails even around Long Pine Run off the AT if you don't mind pitching a tent just in the trees.
    Alcohol was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    I hiked with Wren 19 miles yesterday. We were going to try for 27 then 20. We got to ******* ******* and both said enough. She is zeroing with a friends parents in ******* till the heat and chance of thunder storms goes away. I worked all day in the tire shop so yeah I'd still hike, at least I'd be out side.

I'm up for a cold weather hike or even camping trip. couple of nice trails even around Long Pine Run off the AT if you don't mind pitching a tent just in the trees.
    COUNT ME IN the ROCKY KNOB TRAIL is great

Almost 95 in Brooklyn today. The city feels so claustrophobic when it's this hot. Trying to imagine how I'll feel this time next year if I'm able to thru.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

COUNT ME IN the ROCKY KNOB TRAIL is great
    Yes it is it's just a day trail but I've tented back there a time or two and I know you have also since you like to fish. I like that waking up in the middle of the woods feeling by a lake.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

The first 12 days of this month had 9 days of 89 degrees or higher, so I am told.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 07-13-2011 at 02:54.

Images

I was SUPPOSED to go up to Mt Rogers NRA this AM but I'm going to be a couch potato instead. I got heat exhaustion earlier this summer working outside here at home, and it was a very unpleasant experience. No way I want to experience it out in the woods. I can wait for the weather to cool down.

Journal Entries
    Images

its 98.8 here right now. Panzer
    Panzer when its hot at home, the green AT miles at the top are about 10 degrees cooler its when you come down into town its hot.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++