WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What bug repellent do you use?

I picked up some 3M Ultrathon insect repellent. Anyone have good luck with this? It has 34% DEET. Lots of ticks this year in New England.

I have been using Ultrathon for about 10 years, and continue to use it. It really does last a long time; if you find it isn't lasting you then you need to apply it better, not apply it more often.

Since I don't like to get DEET on the palms of my hands, I squirt a little into a baggy, and spread it evenly from side to side on the bottom couple inches of the baggy.

Then I invert the baggy and put my hand in it, using it like a glove to gently wipe a thin film of the product onto my exposed skin.

A baggy so prepared will last me about two days in the worst of conditions, so I make one up, fold it neatly, and keep it in my back pocket for when I need an application (which is generally used in the morning).

I have been experimenting with the ThermaCell electronic repellant. So far so good but the bugs have not been bad yet this year, plus it is additional weight for hiking

http://www.thermacell.com if your interested

Images

Hiker funk seems to work pretty well. The occasional bug that does come around dies.

I use 25% DEET Off! wipes. Although I'm running low on them and I haven't been able to find them in stores the past couple months for some reason. Hope they haven't been discontinued.

Ben's 100% DEET liquid not spray.

I use Ben's 34% (spray pump), seems to work well. Really bugs don't bother me until I stop for camp, in which case I use the Deet until a fire gets going. Mainly I use that because it's what my gear shop carries and it's fairly cheap (also it's water based for the other ingredients, which I like). I think there was a study done somewhere with someone saying something like anything above 34% concentration isn't necessary. I dunno for sure, though. I would guess that just about anything with 34% or more deet concentration is gonna do the job.

Ben's 100% deet, it works, it lasts, and will use it till something else comes out that is better.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    I picked up some 3M Ultrathon insect repellent. Anyone have good luck with this? It has 34% DEET. Lots of ticks this year in New England.
    Ultrathon has served me well. It is all I use on the trail.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

++ New Posts ++