WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    From what I have read it seems some of "us" think the trail is "their's" and that others can't use it. I don't get that at all. Why would it be illegal for some people to "run" on a trail that is public property? Isn't running just faster hiking? We're still in America right? Someone said I hope they don't disturb people in the shelters? Why would they do that? Are "trail runners' the new Hells Angels? I think it's great that more and more people are experiencing the trail. As long as they aren't destroying the trail then what's the problem?
    As the "someone" who referred to "disturbing" hikers in shelters, let's set the context: I never even hinted that they'd deliberately a la Hells Angels harass or disturb hikers. Nor did I aver that it's "my" trail and they had no right to it. Of course they do; as you said, they're just "fast hikers." Fine - nothing wrong per se.

These folks are running all night including when hikers are likely sleeping. It's just inevitable that when a group even as small as 5 happens upon a shelter at 1 AM, they will disrupt the scene however unintentionally unless they make an effort to keep quiet. Have they thought of this?

Images

If they really want to do the right thing, the right way, they'll ask the ATC if any sort of permit or permission is required, up front. Maybe, maybe not.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    what is the magic number you stop them from doing this????????????
    From a LNT perspective, if I'm not mistaken groups of more than 25 are frowned upon. Legally, I would think it's up to the forest manager.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    why would it be illegal?
    What, no imagination?

So the guy who openly breaks the rules in the GSMNP has a problem with 5 guys running the trail? Give me a f'n break.

Outrageous. Five guys running the trail for a cause. Book em Dano.

IMO hardly stands up as a permit type event. This is national forest. As long as it is not commercial, there aren't too many rules.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    So the guy who openly breaks the rules in the GSMNP has a problem with 5 guys running the trail? Give me a f'n break.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about with your first statement, but haven't seen any one in this thread oppose the run.

Images

another cause-give me a break-there are other places to run

Images

No one will hear these guys passing through in the night. They'll be focused on the run and very little conversation. You'll never know they were out there.

Images

I can't imagine h0w this would be illegal, however I am not a bureaucrat with nothing but time & imagination to figure out how to empower myself through the loss of liberties of the populace.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    what guy?.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    ......IMO hardly stands up as a permit type event. This is national forest. As long as it is not commercial, there aren't too many rules.
    Actually it's a National Park. I don't know the regulations, but I doubt if either agency has regulations that would make the proposed activity illegal. But national parks and forests have sharply different functions and many differing regulations.

The AT is perennially short of the funds needed for proper maintenance and managagement. Personally, I only support fundraising efforts that use the trail if the funds go to ATC or to one of the 30 maintaining clubs.

Apparently childhood obesity isn't one of their causes.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    why would it be illegal?
    Well, to start with, did they complete an environmental impact statement? Obtain the necessary local, state, and federal permits? Hire a law firm and obtain liability insurance? Is it open to Hispanic-Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, and arthritic left-handed Albanians? What about the course? Is it handicapped accessable? Is the money in a proper interest-bearing account and subject to public audit? Do they have Sierra Club approved Port-A-Potties? Did they check with Emerald to make sure the course won't disturb the nesting grounds of the migrating Yellow-Bellied Fruit Sucker? What about law enforcement? Has everyone been checked and approved by Homeland Security to make sure there are no terrorists racing? Medical care available every 200 yards? Will the race cross any county or state lines and how to handle that should one of the runners be carrying a concealed weapon?

Sorry I think I misread the article. I somehow got the impression they were being sponsored by Krisy Kremes etc. My bad. Still, I don't think a high daily calorie burn is ever a licence for poor nutrition. Its always ironic that when promoting one cause people often endorse one or more vices in the process. I still think they are going about this the wrong way. Would have been better to get some of these Tourettes kids out on the trail for some simple hiking and picnicing. Simple natural and healthy living. That is what should be promoted. People seem to use these causes just to draw attention to themselves. Misguided, at best, in my opinion. Not what nature trails should be used for. Sends the wrong message.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Well, to start with, did they complete an environmental impact statement? Obtain the necessary local, state, and federal permits? Hire a law firm and obtain liability insurance? Is it open to Hispanic-Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, and arthritic left-handed Albanians? What about the course? Is it handicapped accessable? Is the money in a proper interest-bearing account and subject to public audit? Do they have Sierra Club approved Port-A-Potties? Did they check with Emerald to make sure the course won't disturb the nesting grounds of the migrating Yellow-Bellied Fruit Sucker? What about law enforcement? Has everyone been checked and approved by Homeland Security to make sure there are no terrorists racing? Medical care available every 200 yards? Will the race cross any county or state lines and how to handle that should one of the runners be carrying a concealed weapon?
    Now that was funny.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Nothing wrong with the cause, or trail running. I just think they are promoting themselves, instead of their cause, or the trail. Maybe instead they should consider a Stations-Of-The-Cross-A-Thon, and fuel their run with Chocolate Easter Bunnies.

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Actually it's a National Park. I don't know the regulations, but I doubt if either agency has regulations that would make the proposed activity illegal. But national parks and forests have sharply different functions and many differing regulations.
    Pretty sure this is National Forest land down here.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Now that was funny.
    Yes it was. Darn near wet myself with that Yellow-Bellied Fruit Sucker thing.

Images

assuming there regulations about these things, can anybody cite the regulation that would make this illegal?

Panzer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++