WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Anyone hiking with their dog?

I realize that this is somewhat of a touchy subject on WB, but I was just curious to know if there were any other folks thru-hiking the trail next year that would be bringing along their dog(s)?

My girlfriend and I are going to be bringing Molly and Tess along with us for what we hope will be the entire trail (the sections that dogs are allowed on at least) and would love to be able to meet some other dogs out there.

I've posted a few pictures so you could "meet" us and possibly recognize us when we're all out there. I would love to see some pictures of any other dogs that might be on the trail.

We are starting a little later than most folks (April 15) but hope to meet some good people on the trail and can't wait to be out there!
    "Take it easy, but take it, and you'll win"-Bob Dylan

I'm likely taking my dog on about half of the trail. Certain parts I'd like to keep her off of if I can find a suitable home for her while I'm out in the wilderness, but I'm planning on giving her about a thousand miles of trail time next year.

Images

yup! my then 2 year old weimaraner is coming with!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

awesome! glad to see there are gonna be at least a couple more dogs out there!

How are your dogs in heat and humidity? That thick fur may make it difficult when you get to the mid-Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    How are your dogs in heat and humidity? That thick fur may make it difficult when you get to the mid-Atlantic.
    SW, there you go and make it all about the comfort and safety of the dogs. Party pooper.

Images

Molly, the smaller Australian Shepherd mix, is pretty good in the heat, especially once she gets a hair cut. Tess, the Malamute/Husky mix is surprisingly good in the heat as well especially if she gets to soak her feet in a stream every now and then, or even better if its deep enough for a swim she loves to get out and paddle around, and yes I make sure it's not near where people fill up their water bottles. Right now we're located in Tennessee (20 mins from the Laurel Fork Gorge section of the AT) and we plan on seeing how the dogs do in the hottest part of the summer here, and depending on how they do we will plan accordingly for the trail next summer.

The fortunate thing for my girlfriend and I is that we know enough folks up and down the East coast that we can recruit for dog-sitting if the going gets tough for the dogs.

I'm not trying to get into any debates about good dog owners, or whether or not dogs should even be allowed on the trail, or whether the dogs themselves want to be on the trail (If I don't give Molly and Tess enough exercise they don't handle it well, they are definitely not couch potatoes), I was just curious to see if other folks were going to have their own dogs on the trail.

I've never taken a hike without the dogs and if they don't seem to be handling it well, depending on the situation, I either get off the trail or take a day to let them rest around the campsite. I know my dogs and I know what they can handle, I would never put them into a situation they couldn't handle and if something comes up I stop and figure out how to get them out of that situation (I've never had a problem yet).

I apologize if I came off sounding defensive Spirit Walker, but I just don't want to start a debate about anything (I've already read enough threads like that on WB), I just want to know if we'll meet any other dogs out there next summer. Thank you for your concern though. I was concerned about the heat myself and am glad that we have a chance to spend the summer in Tennessee to see how well they do before we start the trail.

I'm taking my 12 Pitbulls hiking on the entire AT, without leash.

My wife and I are doing a SOBO with our two Cairns. One is 8 and in great shape, the other is 13 and quite healthy. The 8yr will have a pack and be carrying about 20% of his body weight in food and dog gear which is about right if figuring what I read about Inuit pack dogs. Granted if he appears to be struggling I will drop it as needed.

A few things I'm considering;

1- Only allowing the dog to walk what they are able per day. I am packing as light as possible to allow for this. I'm figuring 20 lb pack and a 15 lb dog when he gets tired=35lbs

2- Foot protectors, one day walking is fine for bare pads...180 is another story.

3- On leash all the time, the 13yr will have a ruffwear webmaster harness for easy carrying and comfortable walking.

My biggest worry is I wish to be a good steward, and not impose on any hiker with our dogs...one of the reasons for SOBO.
    School makes you sound wise, while the world actually makes you wise.

No offence taken. We own a golden retriever who overheats very easily. Two miles without water on a warm day and he's puffing and panting, resting in every shade patch he can find. If it's over 80 it takes a couple of hours for him to recover in the cool of the house after just a few miles. He's okay if he can swim, but there are a lot of places where the trail is on a ridge. Seeing the picture of the dogs in front of the snow covered mountains made me wonder if you knew how hot it gets here. But if they can handle Tennessee, they should be able to handle Pennsylvania.

Images

I spent most summers by the Smokies when I was growing up and am fully aware of how hot and humid it can get here in TN. I got my dogs while living in the Sierras in CA and after having spent the last few years there I'm still trying to get used to the heat here myself and it's not even the middle of the summer yet! We've had a couple days in the mid 90's already and the dogs did ok, although I did notice that Tess wasn't as interested in every squirrel she saw, haha. I expect that we'll be doing a lot of hiking earlier and later in the day with frequent rest stops in the middle during the hotter portions of next summer.

I've been talking to a few past thru-hikers that brought their dogs along (one of them during a drought year) and have gotten a lot of useful information from them. They've given me a lot of encouragement and I've gotten more excited and confident (having a back-up plan helps with the confidence) about my ability to safely bring the dogs on the trail with us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
    My wife and I are doing a SOBO with our two Cairns.
    looking forward to meeting you and your wife along with your two dogs on the trail at some point next summer. My girlfriend and I and our two dogs are doing a NOBO next year so look for us coming down the trail!

Images

Too spoiled to rough it! Leaving him at home!! W-W

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I'm taking my 12 Pitbulls hiking on the entire AT, without leash.

Great!! Now I have to include tree-climbing skills in my physical prep!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

No offence taken. We own a golden retriever who overheats very easily. Two miles without water on a warm day and he's puffing and panting, resting in every shade patch he can find. If it's over 80 it takes a couple of hours for him to recover in the cool of the house after just a few miles. He's okay if he can swim, but there are a lot of places where the trail is on a ridge. Seeing the picture of the dogs in front of the snow covered mountains made me wonder if you knew how hot it gets here. But if they can handle Tennessee, they should be able to handle Pennsylvania.
    Ever seen the Ruffwear Swamp cooler? I used similar tech on my motorbike in hot weather. All my MC safety gear in heat and humidity is a literal killer. Not sure how it would work on a fuzzy dog, but I imagine ANYthing would help

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Great!! Now I have to include tree-climbing skills in my physical prep!
    I always thought it was the owners, not the dogs?

I have met some nice pitbulls, but hate to admit the damn stereotype still effects me.

my boyfriend and i are leaving around the same time - see you out there!

When I was young I had assumed, by now, I would have killed at least one dog on the trail in self-defense. It's amazing how many techniques you learn over the years to cope, without violence. Mainly understanding that an individual dog is usually a coward. And never, never let it slip behind you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JybbaGirl View Post
    looking forward to meeting y'all out there! only about 305 days or so now, haha, can't wait!

Images

Default Yep, if we go in 2012

We will be with two dogs. Yep! But we will not stay in shelters period. They both are training now to carry their own food etc. No need to fear these two, they are big babies. Love all hikers. Planned departure is later March early April. DSC00445.jpg
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Quote Originally Posted by JybbaGirl View Post
    WEIMYS ROCK!!! You guys will be fine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++