WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Southern pa rattlesnack alert

I wanted to caution all hikers between Calidonia State Park and Pine Grove State Park in Southern PA to be on the alert for above normal Rattlesnake activity. In the past two weeks I have encountered 7 rattlesnakes in a 3 mile stretch of the A.T. This is well above the usual.. Please use caution in this area............ MAYBE ITS TIME TO REMOVE THE NO KILL BAN...

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

trail lunch.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Thanks for the info!

i just did that hike this weekend and i didnt see any rattles, but then again i wasnt looking for them either...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    I wanted to caution all hikers between Calidonia State Park and Pine Grove State Park in Southern PA to be on the alert for above normal Rattlesnake activity. In the past two weeks I have encountered 7 rattlesnakes in a 3 mile stretch of the A.T. This is well above the usual.. Please use caution in this area............ MAYBE ITS TIME TO REMOVE THE NO KILL BAN...
    Before you kill them, remember how many shelter mice each one can eat, remember that they generally wont attack unless threatened, and remeber you're in their habitat, not the othr way around.7 rattlers in 3 miles?thats one for every 7 football fields.Maybe theyre avoidable?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Before you kill them, remember how many shelter mice each one can eat, remember that they generally wont attack unless threatened, and remeber you're in their habitat, not the othr way around.7 rattlers in 3 miles?thats one for every 7 football fields.Maybe theyre avoidable?

We only ran into one rattler between Pawling ny and DWG, PA a couple of weeks ago. My friend was nearly in striking distance before he heard the rattle ( isn't it nice of them to give us such a loud warning?) As soon as he began backing away slowly, the snake retreated.

I'll take more snakes and less mice.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Thanks will be out there the end of june anyone know how the water is in PA thanks
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Time to break out the kevlar hiking pants...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Time to break out the kevlar hiking pants...
    10-k those wil be great to protect you from people blindly shooting their trail guns at snakes and sticks and stuff.But is kevlar packable?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    10-k those wil be great to protect you from people blindly shooting their trail guns at snakes and sticks and stuff.But is kevlar packable?
    Sure, they have cuben fiber kevlar now...

Images

that is awesome!!

Wow, that's seven more rattlesnakes than I've ever seen anywhere in Michaux.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Images

Bah hahahahhahahahhaaa I was wondering what a rattleSNACK was!

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Bah hahahahhahahahhaaa I was wondering what a rattleSNACK was!
    I like em deep fried extra crispy!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Seeing a BIG rattler at Balanced Rock in Pa was one of my finest AT moments.

What, no food or GORP left?

Leave these super cool creatures alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    i just did that hike this weekend and i didnt see any rattles, but then again i wasnt looking for them either...
    i WAS looking and didnt see any!

Rattle-Snack... hehe I like that. Deep fried extra crispy?? HHHmmmm maybe with some shrimp cocktail sauce??

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    .... My friend was nearly in striking distance before he heard the rattle ( isn't it nice of them to give us such a loud warning?) As soon as he began backing away slowly, the snake retreated.....
    This seems like the usual case - they avoid people, in a confrontation as long as they're not cornered, they move on.

But when I came upon one on the Allegheny Trail last year, he was almost in the middle of the Trail and wouldn't move for anything. Head up, tail up, rattling away - he didn't even move when one of the small rocks I tossed landed squarely on him (not intending to kill him, just prod him). Trailway was too narrow hemmed by thick rhododendron for us to walk around him so finally found a long-enough stick to poke him off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    This seems like the usual case - they avoid people, in a confrontation as long as they're not cornered, they move on.

But when I came upon one on the Allegheny Trail last year, he was almost in the middle of the Trail and wouldn't move for anything. Head up, tail up, rattling away - he didn't even move when one of the small rocks I tossed landed squarely on him (not intending to kill him, just prod him). Trailway was too narrow hemmed by thick rhododendron for us to walk around him so finally found a long-enough stick to poke him off.
    Same thing happened to me last year in Harrriman. I had considered backtracking and looping around, but it would have added 6 miles to my hike, so I just kept on throwing small sticks at him every minute or two, waited twenty minutes or so for him to finally move off.

saw two massive rattlers last year within a mile or so of each other around the shelter south of the 501 shelter. They were big and sunning themselves in the trail. They did not follow protocol, no courtesy rattles and I came uncomfortably close to both of them. took awhile for them to be moved off the trail by tossing small rocks and sticks in their direction. Was not trying to hit or injure them. for the next week or so, every branch/stick/twig I managed to move with my boots nearly caused me to jump out of my skin.

to add insult to injury, both times I scrambled backwards so fast that I tripped on one of the rare and infrequent rocks in the trail that one encounters in Pa. and ended up on my back thrashing around like a turtle that had been tipped over. Fortunately no one managed to witness that and in one case, I prevented a sobo section hiker from coming around a bend in the trail. I believe if I had not been there in that case that guy would have stepped on the snake because he was not visible from a sobo perspective.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++