WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default ULA CDT (former Conduit) or OHM???

I have both the Catalyst and the Circuit. I love my ULA packs! But as I go lighter, I need less space. Which pack do I want? The CDT or the OHM? Does anyone have either one used for sale??? (17" - small or medium)

My base wt is now right at 15 with the Circuit... I'm trying to get that down to 11 or 12....

Hi Redhat,

I have a ULA CDT, which I purchased last month and have used only for three days of hiking. Needless to say, it is in "mint" condition. I purchased it thinking that I would be doing a lot of hiking this summer, but as it turns out, that will not happen, so I'd like to sell my pack. I hiked with around 21 lbs of gear and food, and it handled it nicely and could certainly handle more weight.

It seems you are acknowledging this Red Hat, but I'll say it anyway, when you start getting down to smaller volume packs as you are when transitioning from the higher volume Catalyst or Circuit to the CDT(Conduit) it's not just about the wt of the gear but the volume of it too that you should consider when matching a pack to the gear. You should understand that AND that the OHM has about 350 more cubic inches of volume compared to the CDT(Conduit).

Also, understand that the OHM has a full integrated suspension(a frame so to speak) compared to the frameless CDT(Conduit). The CDT(Conduit) typically employs a sleep pad or equivalent to create a so called virtual frame(suspension). I use a NeoAir to create a frame to carry and transfer load in my CDT(Conduit).

IMO, some other things you should also be considering if optiing for the CDT(Conduit) is how you will be usuing the pack, how you hike, and with what hiking style you hike with. You should do that with any prospective new pack consideration but perhaps even more so with the CDT(Conduit).

I don't know what this really means, but since my 3 season goto thru-hiking pack is a CDT(Conduit), I take notice of other backpackers using this back. I've yet to notice a female usuing the CDT(Conduit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...Also, understand that the OHM has a full integrated suspension(a frame so to speak) compared to the frameless CDT(Conduit). The CDT(Conduit) typically employs a sleep pad or equivalent to create a so called virtual frame(suspension). I use a NeoAir to create a frame to carry and transfer load in my CDT(Conduit)....

I don't know what this really means, but since my 3 season goto thru-hiking pack is a CDT(Conduit), I take notice of other backpackers using this back. I've yet to notice a female usuing the CDT(Conduit).
    I was wondering how a neoair would work, glad to know it works for you. I also have 1/2 of a Mountain Laurel pad, I could use... As for being one of the first females, I was one of the first to use the Osprey Atmos, and one of the first with ULA Catalyst... maybe I can help get the girls to think even lighter too.

Images

Default cdt v ohm

I have both packs.....I perfer the ohm because it has load lifters and the cdt does not

Images

I'm female and just used my new CDT last week. It worked perfectly for me once I got the fit correct. I will admit that I was missing the load lifters but I think it will work well for my thru and would probably work well for you too.

I agree that volume could be an issue for some but if you carry only the essential and no fluff items, the CDT has plenty of room.

Hike smarter, not harder.

GG Gorilla
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I should have initially mentioned, I currently use either a NeoAir shortie(47" long X 20" wide) or med NeoAir(67 X20) with the CDT. Either works fine when folded three or forur times, placed into the elastic framsheet pad holding straps inside the pack, the pack is partially fillled with gear, and then the pad is partially inflated to create the desired stiffness framesheet/suspension. Sounds complicated the way I related this but after doing it a few times you'll catch on quick.

As Thecaptain mentions, the CDT has no load lifter straps which, if you are accustomed to on other packs, can take some getting used to with the CDT. In regards to the CDT having no load lifter straps, framesheet, etc a perspective buyer would be wise to understand how and why the design of this pack came about and its intended uses and market! It's a true UL pack with several great features just understand what you are getting.

Red Hat, if all this sounds too complicated to you or if you don't want to have to deal with these things right now and perhaps your gear is low wt but not the lowest in volume perhaps you might be better off with the Ohm? There's less to think about with the Ohm.

I don't feel the need to go into great detail about pack comparisons but since SkiNewMexico mentioned the GG Gorilla, which IMO, is another excellent UL pack, YOU should be aware that the Gorilla is an even smaller volume than the CDT or Ohm. The Gorilla has about 800 LESS cubic inches than the CDT and about 1160 less cubic inches of volume than the Ohm! If you are newly transitioning from a pack with the volume of, say a Catalyst or Circuit, IT MAY BE TOO MUCH of a jump to a pack with the volume of say a Gorilla. That's big jump! It might be right for you though, but only you know.

I'm female and have the ULA Relay which looks almost exactly like the ULA CDT. I mentioned that at the ULA booth at the PCT kickoff and they said that the CDT is basically the Relay with a few updates. This is my favorite pack. It fits perfectly and carries my gear nicely. It is small, though, so it would not work for a thru-hike (on the PCT) because I need a lot more volume for food. But I've put a small bear canister in there and I've done numerous 5 day trips with plenty of room for my gear. If you want a smaller pack, the CDT is the smallest one they had at the booth.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I went through a similar debate a few weeks ago, and I chose the Ohm over the CDT.
    The reason I did so was the versatility.

The main volume difference between the two is limited to the extension collar on the top of the pack. From what I read the main pack volumes are the same. Also, the compression system on the Ohm is a bit better than the CDT if your kit doesn't quite fill up the pack. For me this is nice on shorter trips where I won't be carrying alot of food, etc. but on my upcoming thru-hike, I'll have the available volume if I should need it. The carbon stays seem to be a nice feature, though I have yet to try them out, and they are easily removable. I don't recall the exact figure, but with the hydration sleeve, hand loops, stays and foam back panel removed, my didn't weight much more than the listed value for the CDT.

It just seemed to me that the Ohm offered more by way of options, although it is pricier. Another factor was that I already have a Golite Jam (great pack), which pretty much would have made the CDT redundant.

Images

Hey, Red Hat, I have both and Ohm and a Circuit. Given your choice, I would want the Ohm. I think the extra few ounces for the frame makes a big difference for me in carrying comfort. YMMV. But both are good packs.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I use the GG Gorilla, size small. I love it! Hard to believe how big my first pack was. I rarely even fill up the Gorilla for weekend hikes unless I take some luxuries. I hope to use either the Gorilla or the Mariposa + on the Sept section hike (6 days worth of food). Not so much the weight (probably will be around 20 to 22 pounds total) but the volume for a large food bag.

My first UL pack was the the ULA P1. I really liked that pack, liked it so much I wore it out, but it did have too much volume for my shrinking load.

I have pondered the ULA Ohm, but it does have a lot of volume; might be good for a thruhike though.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Also, understand that the OHM has a full integrated suspension(a frame so to speak) compared to the frameless CDT(Conduit). The CDT(Conduit) typically employs a sleep pad or equivalent to create a so called virtual frame(suspension). I use a NeoAir to create a frame to carry and transfer load in my CDT(Conduit).
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but Dogwood's comment on a virtual frame for the CDT caught my attention when I did a search. So I figured I'd comment on this thread rather than starting a new one. I just received a custom CDT (specified a rolltop like the Circuit vs. the draw string closure) and I'm experimenting with various ways of packing it. I carry both a regular Neoair xlite and a cut down piece of blue foam that I use as a sit pad. I removed the standard foam that ULA ships with the CDT and have packed up with both the Neoair and the blue foam as "virtual" frames. The neo air, slightly inflated, is indeed more comfortable I think... but I am, to some degree, still worried about punctures even though I have now used the pad for an extended amount of time (six weeks on the PCT this spring). I always kept it in a stuff sack and was protective of it in camp only using it on my cuben floor after taking time to clear the underlying ground of sharp objects. I don't believe that I have sharp objects inside my pack typically so that's probably not an issue. But what about setting the pack down during breaks? The back panel is pretty thin, as is the bottom of the pack. Should I be overly concerned about popping the neo air when used in this manner?

For now, the CDT is going to be my summer pack for shorter trips where total weight is likely going to be in the 15 pound range. Possibly 20 if I go out for several days. But I am looking at going in a more ultralight direction for all of my hiking longer term and possibly using the CDT for hikes where I would have, in the past, used my Circuit. On some occasions with longer food and water carries, I can see myself going up to 25 pounds or so even with a UL base weight. So the virtual frame concept is something I want to explore while I still am carrying minimal weight so I can push it further in the future.

Images

I have both. I found the CDT to be a bit too small for my purposes. ( I usually have a 15 lb. base weight, so not Ultra Light). I can fit all my gear ok, but there is little or no room for extra water when needed, or an extra large food resupply. I find the OHM 2 to be perfect. With the compression cords, you can cinch it down so you have a compact/snug pack, but if needed, you have a little extra room for water for a dry camp.

I needed a replacement for my P2, which through my paring my gear down, had just become too much pack, and it didn't ride well. It's still great for winter or when I need to carry a bear canister. Completely happy with the Ohm 2.
    Last edited by Lyle; 07-03-2015 at 12:53.

One of my primary goals is actually to have a pack with much smaller volume than the Circuit. The CDT actually has quite a bit of volume which is one of the reasons I ordered the roll top modification so I can better compress small loads. I suspect that the primary use case will be quick overnight trips. But I also have plans to use it for general travel (not backpacking) to replace an old rolling bag as well as possibly for the Camino in Spain. As I reduce the weight and volume of my gear in general, I can see the CDT being my go-to back for most hiking except when I will need 5+ days of food on a regular basis, a bear can, or lots of water. I still have my Circuit for the longer hauls. The Ohm 2, while a very nice looking pack, is still high volume like the Circuit. It's too close to the Circuit to make a major difference for me.

Loaded up the CDT using my neoair as a virtual frame as Dogwood described and wore it for five miles with 18 pounds. Carried the load easily. I'd have to think that the pack could go up to 25 quite easily, and maybe more for short distances! I'm still concerned about using the neoair in this manner not from interior things in the pack popping it but for a situation where I set the pack down and a thorn or pine needle penetrates the pack material and my pack liner to reach the neoair.

I have both the Circuit and CDT. I never tried the Ohm so I cannot comment. If you want to know more about the CDT, I wrote up a gear review here: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/gear-review-ula-cdt/

I should have started a new thread. I'm not concerned with the Ohm 2.0 at all; I am more interested in using an inflatable pad as a back pad on the CDT to create a virtual frame thereby pushing the upper limit of the pack into the mid 20s. When I read Dogwoods comment I responded rather than starting a new thread.

Journal Entries

10-15 lb base wt in a frameless pack is not smart

The couple oz for a frame is worth the weight above 15 lbs.

Todays ohm is a great pack, but not much lighter than circuit really.

You know, if you take the stays (4 & 2 oz) and foam backpanel (2 oz) out of circuit it will weigh about 28 oz

Remove hipbelt and replace with webbing belt, voila, 21-22 oz frameless pack.

I would not suggest a frameless pack unless spend 90% of the time under 15 lbs. There are options today that make it not necessary.

What i didnt like about my ohm (original), was that had to use lower leg ccf for backpadding.( Im not using my xlite for that, it stays safely tucked away in the bowels of the pack. ), and then i couldnt use it as a sit pad. The gg packs have a better arrangement for this. Inflating a pad for support takes up half a pack as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-05-2015 at 13:25.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++