WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I was from Venus, they were from Mars

I just returned from 16 days on the AT. I have debated whether to post my observations, but here goes. As always, I met a bunch of very nice people. But it soon occurred to me that I was very different. In the first place, I was the only one who did not have at least one cell phone. Everyone was complaining about their pack weight. Young, small women were carrying 45 pounds. Backpacks were huge and full. Guys had 3 and 4 flashlights, two sleep pads, huge knives, leatherman tools so big they wouldn't fit in a pocket, 3 or 4 different trail guides. One guy had a stove and cannister that must have weighed 6 pounds and was so big that it would not have fit in my empty backpack. I do not carry a stove so everyone was always trying to get me to use their stoves, their fuel, their pots, and eat their food. Meal time was a real chore trying to decline all these offers. And most of these people were thru hikers. I felt very out of place. I am not one to offer unsolicited advice and no one would have listened to me any way. We were from different planets. They treated me lilke a homeless person on the city streets. I know that the experience of my thru hike has taught me to subside on very few items, but it ain't rocket science. I can't be the only one who sees this. My trip went very well except for some issues that required me to cut it short, but I came home very confused. Thanks for letting me vent.

litefoot 2000

Where was this?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Everyone was complaining about their pack weight. Young, small women were carrying 45 pounds. Backpacks were huge and full.

litefoot 2000
    Just curious, where were you? I really don't recall much discussion about packweight* or gear after the first 500 miles or so as those topics had pretty much had been beaten to death by then and most had sort figured out their system.

* = disclaimer: i might add to be completely honest that grumbling about weight on the first day's hike out of town was always normal and tolerated, even if the last town was Millinocket.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The majority out on the trail are not here on WB soaking up other people's advice etc but read it somewhere and say Hey, I wanna do that, and then go with all their car camping gear or stuff they learned on BSA (at least BSA is getting better about going more UL in its gear choices then say, five years ago). They will learn soon. Or drop out. We hike with two guys SOBO that had everything under the sun.We talked to them. They did mail gear home.
    Anyway, I'm sure they looked at you as if you were crazy not even heating a nice meal at night. And it was nice of them to offer their food to you. I mean if all the offers were getting to you, one doesn't have to stay in the shelter area. That might have been a better option for you to really get away from it all, including those irritating humans - maybe next time.
    I don't go stoveless, cellphoneless or guideless/mapless myself, I must admit.
    Last edited by Blissful; 06-18-2011 at 15:36.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Another good reason to hike fast and hike alone.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Another good reason to hike fast and hike alone.

Rather camp alone - looks like it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

sometimes the shelters are cool, others i dont want to be bothered. HYOH goes both ways, and if I find people getting on my nerves, I just set up the tent.

I thought it was funny last weekend....saw lots of folks with small light packs...and half their stuff strapped on the outside...tent, sleeping bag, etc. They'd buy a small ultralight pack, but still try to carry anything and everything.

There was one guy with a golite pack...and had about 8 fullsize carabiners hanging from everywhere he could clip one.

Images

Remember, life is a learning experience. When it comes to backpacking you may be farther along the learning curve than they are. And don't worry about being different, that's not a bad thing. Just find ways for you to enjoy your life and let them do the same. If they stick with backpacking I bet they'll learn the leasons that you already have.

glad you can vent. it does help sometimes. that being said, maybe that's what makes them comfortable. it may not even be that they are "behind" the learning curve so to speak. it might be that they've tried it another way and they just LIKE it that way. just let them be and keep walking on if they bother you. however, i agree with you. weird to me too that people have to have phones and carry 45 lb packs. but hey, as long as i don't have to listen to them having phone conversations, i just ignore it.

Images

I just wish people would talk about something worth eavesdropping on.

Yo litefoot- How's the puffy feet? Did the doc call you a bonehead?

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    I thought it was funny last weekend....saw lots of folks with small light packs...and half their stuff strapped on the outside...tent, sleeping bag, etc. They'd buy a small ultralight pack, but still try to carry anything and everything.

There was one guy with a golite pack...and had about 8 fullsize carabiners hanging from everywhere he could clip one.
    It seems to be very tempting to take 50 lbs of "ultralight" gear on the trail .
    We all have different priorities, and walking lighter is more important to me than camping luxuries, and people don't necessarily overhaul their packing practices because they're on a long hike or thruhike. Often, but not always.
    At least they were nice enough to offer some of their bounty to the O.P.
    Lastly, it's ok to vent.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

"It seems to be very tempting to take 50 lbs of "ultralight" gear on the trail "
    Absolutely the quote of the month!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Meal time was a real chore trying to decline all these offers.

litefoot 2000
    Yeah, it's really tough when people try to be nice.

Lightfoot, I just finished a section hike from Harpers Ferry to Rockfish Gap. Too bad you didn't meet me. I don't even own a cell phone, and my observations of my fellow hikers are a lot different from yours. Hikers I met (mostly thrus) generally went about their usual business: setting up tents, cooking meals, talking about gear, animals, and food, food, food. Those with cell phones used them discreetly or not at all. There was quite a lot of beer being carried, probably because it was readily available in the park and cheap.

Images

to me its like Kanga said. this is how they like it. come down off your hiker pedestal and relate to people for who they are, not whats on there back. how this could bother you to the point of venting is funny.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Well, Lightfoot still hasn't said where and when he meet these hikers with the odd assortment of gear. But from another thread, I infer it was in the spring and near Springer. That is certianly the place and time of year one would meet the clueless wantabe thru-hiker. They either quickly learn what they really need to carry or they soon go home. Like the guy with the cello and amp. I don't think he ever made it out of Georgia.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    to me its like Kanga said. this is how they like it. come down off your hiker pedestal and relate to people for who they are, not whats on there back. how this could bother you to the point of venting is funny.
    As usual, you totally missed the point.

HA HA sounds like me my first trip. I was all of 105lbs soaking wet and carrying a 65lb pack wearing my construction boots! Despite the pain and suffering I loved it and have continued (obviously) and carry a MUCH lighter pack now. We all start somewhere!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    You do need God because He is hope and love. Please reconsider your perspective.
    I must have missed something.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++