WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default shuttle near NY border

Am planning a day hike soon to do section 17A to 17 on AT in NY. I have the list from the ATC website, but was wondering if anyone could offer any input on anyone in particular that they had a good experience with. Not sure when I am going but sometime in the next few weeks.
    Thanks.

Images

Default re: shuttle near NY border

I just returned from a section hike of NJ and left the trail at NY 17A. There's a NJ Transit bus from the NYC Port Authority which drops off and picks up hikers near the creamery about 200 yards uphill from the AT. NY 17A is about 10 miles north of the NY state line. Fare to/from NYC was $12.75 one-way in mid-May 2011.

If you arrive by bus, walk over to the creamery and fill your water bottles at the spigot. If you need fuel or other supplies, get off the bus in Greenwood Village below the AT where you'll find grocery stores, post office, c-stores, diners, etc. Buses run about every two hours, so do your business and hustle back to catch the bus up the hill.

If you want to start further south, consider taking a NJ Transit bus into Vernon and hiking east over Wawayanda on the AT and then making the turn North into NY. I will tell you the section between Wawayanda shelter and NY 17A is very rough on feet and mine ended up severely blistered as did several others who passed through there. Once out of Wawayanda State Park, the AT is no longer groomed trail, but boulders and slabs on edge. There's one water source about half-way between the NJ stateline and NY 17A.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

A couple of weeks ago, I used West Milford Taxi to get me from a NJ transit bus that dropped me in West Milford to the AT just south of the NY/NJ border. $2 a mile just as the ATC Shuttle list promised. Nice driver, showed up exactly on time and gave us the tip about the creamery at the 17A crossing. I don't know how far into NY their territory extends for pickup but I give them my stamp of approval.

thanks for the input

Sorry for the late response. Who did you end up hiring to shuttle you? I am also planning to hike this a day trip. If you haven't gone yet, maybe we can works something out.

Did not go yet, but planning to sometime in August. May do that section one day, then do another the next. If anyone wants to hike, when I know dates, can post again.

Images

Keep us posted, i have yet to do NY but I prefer to do it as a week long hike instead of a day hike
    "I drank what?" Socrates

I would also like to hike a 2nd day. I still have most of NJ to hike. Please keep us posted. If we each drive to the trailhead, we won't have to rely on a taxi.

That bus to 17A is NJ Transit #196 or 197. Any bus on the schedule that goes to Warwick will drop/pick up at the Bellvale creamery. Gotta have their ice cream!!

At 17 you can use Coach USA/Shortline bus for Orange county. Look for a schedule including Harriman or Tuxedo, NY.
    They will drop or pick up anywhere along route 17 that is safe to stop. Or you could also get a train at nearby Harriman Sta. (NJ Transit, Port Jervis Rail Line)

I also plan to do that little piece of trail. I finished my last section at 17A. Keep me posted of dates please.

At this point, I am planning to hike that area on Friday 8/19 and Saturday 8/20. Would arrive in the area on Friday around 10:30 am, hopefully, and start hiking asap after that. I plan to get off the trail and stay somewhere on Friday night. Saturday's mileage is up in the air, depending on if I can get a shuttle. Will look into that, and will have things firmed up a few days prior.
    Would welcome anyone who wants to join me for one or both of the days.

Images

contact a member Askus3 here on the boards. He was very helpful in providing a shuttle service for a small fee.

will do -thanks

++ New Posts ++