WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: overcoming fear

My fears aren't about what is out there on the AT. They're about not getting to that point where I set foot on the trail and head north. I'm there in 2014....I hope. Every time I get the opportunity to get outside it's not far enough away and it never lasts long enough to really get away from the daily grind.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world...gandhi

Journal Entries

fear...... means: false/ expectations/ appearing/ real /...... heard that in a.a. wish i could use it!

Journal Entries

We all fear the unknown. But quite quickly the unknowns become knowns and the fear disappears. All those bugs, people, and critters -- or lack thereof -- become routine after a few days on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Any russle of the wind up against my tent at 3:34am and I'll hear it and responds like a man
    who needs to get up and have coffee.

For me, the further away from the trail-head and into the woods I get, the more comfortable I feel.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I have a fear of crowds.

And no, I will NOT be going on a side trip to New York City on my future thru.........

There is a reason I gravitated to this hobby.
    Same reason for me too.

But starting out, all the noises of animals scurrying around at night does take some getting used to, it's nice when it rains so you can't hear any of that stuff. Hang your food far away and learn how to identify game trails/paths so you stay off/away from them, nothing like a deer running past or through your tent at 2am. Unless you like having a jolt and racing heart beat.

Images

Falling (which I do a lot); Lightening. Other than that, I would rate a few things more as being cautious: road crossings, "strangers" at the shelters (people obviously not hikers), ticks for sure, being careful where I step (rattlers and copperheads).
    I think I like the fact that a lot of stuff in the woods is not in my control; I actually find it less stressful, because it is what it is.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just started reading "As Far as the Eye Can See" about David Brill's 18977 thru. His first chapter was about fear. Opening with the night he spent in a ferocious storm four days into his trek that topple trees around him. He spoke to how his fears and insecurities manifested themselves in how overloaded his pack was - despite knowing better. His insecurities as to his strength, agility and his fear that he would be unable to keep up with his partner. How his pedometer allowed him to determine every night how many miles he had to walk to get to Katahdin. And, how facing these fears and insecurities, he overcame them, stripped away his excess baggage both literally and figuratively, and became stronger.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

the only fear that I still have is waking up with a snake in my sleeping bag, cold, heat, storms, bugs, bears, and anything else no issue and when I'm hiking and see a snake no issues I have a nice bivy sack that I like to used but without the 4-walls of my tent I feel a little leery. Also I don't even know if this has every happen but that's fear the unknown
    Last edited by CowHead; 06-24-2011 at 23:38.
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

over come lyme disease about two week after being in the woods I go see my doctor and get tested he knows I like playing in the woods
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Since my Boy Scout time as a kid the rule of thumb was the buddy system, and to this day I try to stick with it (my son and I backpack alot). It's actually a good rule of thumb being in remote places. Today I will day hike solo, of course when I let someone know where I am for the day. And in 2014 I will hike the AT solo, but with that I know I will run into and share space with many other hikers.

As far as fear is concerned, I never really had any in the backcountry, even growing up. I know and respect whats out there very much. However, all that said, I try not to be complacent with my surroundings. I always have a knife within my hands distance and I always run scenarios through my head to be prepared.
    Now, about the movie 127 hours...**** happens! He is a cocky soloist that gets caught up in a bad situation. I did not see the movie and I'm not sure I want to. I work in Law enforcement now and as it is with this work I see every imagineable thing. To have my mind with thoughts of that (the movie) would bother me a bit.
    anyone else?

Images

When I saw the movie, it was easy for me to envision something similar happening to me, as I do hike solo a lot.Usually when Im alone, my senses are heightened, and look to avoid as many hazards as Im aware. I remember coming within a few inches of stepping on a rattler, and cursing myself later for not being more attentive. But like you said, sh** happens. What I got more out of from the movie was the will to survive being strong enough to actually cut ones arm off to escape.Hes no hero, but I dont know I could have done the same.

Journal Entries
    Images

It was GF first over night camping on the "AT" on top of Max Patch. The wind wasnt blowing that much as we hiked to the top,but at 12 that night it picked up(LOL) and the GF get me up and ask me did you hear that. i layed there listing to it... it sound like something was eatting thru my tent.lol, I got up checked it out"It was the WIND"LOL. It was all good for that point on,hiked back down to the car then CRACKER BARREL!!!! I'd never seen my little lady eat like she did that morning. I plan on doing my thru-hike with Stick in 2013. I Dont like hiking alone,myabe its due to fear but maybe ill get over once i start to hike alone if stick doent get to go.HYOH

Images

Quote Originally Posted by House of Payne View Post
    Since my Boy Scout time as a kid the rule of thumb was the buddy system, and to this day I try to stick with it (my son and I backpack alot). It's actually a good rule of thumb being in remote places. Today I will day hike solo, of course when I let someone know where I am for the day. And in 2014 I will hike the AT solo, but with that I know I will run into and share space with many other hikers.

As far as fear is concerned, I never really had any in the backcountry, even growing up. I know and respect whats out there very much. However, all that said, I try not to be complacent with my surroundings. I always have a knife within my hands distance and I always run scenarios through my head to be prepared.
    Now, about the movie 127 hours...**** happens! He is a cocky soloist that gets caught up in a bad situation. I did not see the movie and I'm not sure I want to. I work in Law enforcement now and as it is with this work I see every imagineable thing. To have my mind with thoughts of that (the movie) would bother me a bit.
    anyone else?
    So....your "rule of thumb" is the buddy system, but you are hiking solo in 2014? You never saw the movie, "127 Hours"...but you call him a "cocky soloist"?

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Life is complex ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    What kind of fears did you have when you firt started hiking and how did you overcome them?
    we've discussed argued,name called, and made fun of subjects regarding bears, lightning,getting robbed on the trail, carrying guns, etc., and it brought to mind the reality that many of us have had many fears, both rational and irrational when we first started backpacking. I remember the first night I spent in a tent , imagining every chipmunk or mouse to be an 800 lb bear.a few nights later, I had become comfortable with the sounds of the night and sleep soundly now.
    I thought it might be good for some of the more experienced hikers to relate what they can about thier initial fears and how they overcame them.
    I still fear ticks.
    I've been picking at the AT on day trips over the past four years and having a great time. In the last two years, I have been mostly hiking solo. I have had many people, including my adult children, try to scare the crap out of me, and warn me about going alone. I sometimes get to the trailhead to start, and remember some of their warnings. Fear can paralyze you if you let it. You have to think positive, and move yourself forward. Only once did I turn around and not hike, but that was because I had a bad feeling about the weather - turns out there was a tornado in the area later that day, so my gut instinct was right that day.
    At age 57, I like to think I am sensible, and aware of risks. I always make someone aware of my itinerary and expected time frame. Some things you can't predict or control - yes, I might get sick or injured, but like others have mentioned, the streets of my city can be more hazardous than the trail, and a hell of a lot scarier. If the unexpected or unpleasant happens, you just have to deal with it, but that goes for anything in life, not just on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Life is complex ...
    Life is simple
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Life is simple
    Life isbetter than death.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Life isbetter than death.
    Prove it....
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Prove it....
    I have yet to have a dead person argue with this line of thinking.Although death seems to last longer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++