WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Images

I like the new look... So long as no functionality is changed and it doesn't seem to be.. I'm the kind of person who rearranges furniture every month though

When the update(s) are finished, will we be able to easily access our pre-change posts? I don't look forward to sifting through thousands (?) of threads/posts to find something that I need to refer to. All I see now are posts made after the changeover.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

slow, and kinda shakey, like a dog passing persimmon seeds.

Images

I just got back from a hike. I like the changes. Seems much cleaner. Color could maybe be toned down a bit, but it's not that bad. I really like the black type on white background - easy to read. So many sites are going to blue on gray, or light gray on dark gray, or some other such idiocy.

Good change.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed some quirks when visiting the upgraded site using an iPhone/smartphone The pre upgrade layout was identical on my computer and phone, but the new site has had problems loading correctly on my phone, also it seems that every time I post a reply, the system ignores where I hit return and condenses the response into one long running paragraph.(Next paragraph) This is not mean to be a complaint about the upgrade, I just hope that these bugs are going to get sorted out at some point.(Next paragraph) And please, don't reply pointing out that there is some sort of mobile app available, I didn't get a phone with a fully functioning web bowser just to go to a fake website.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It looks a little different, but that's just something that I'll get used to eventually. No big deal at all as far as I'm concerned. All the functionality is still there, it just looks a little different.

I'm guessing that the upgrade really helps on the back end of the site, making it run smoother, and is easier to operate for the admins. That's a good thing.
    Well, maybe so. I'm gradually getting used to the awkward placement of things, or at least placements different that what I used to see. But there are bugs -- or what I call bugs. For instance when I reply with quotes to a long message -- or even just pause for a moment or two to gather my thoughts while replying without quioting -- my message keeps jumping back up, again and again. Yeah, I can trick the computer into allowing me to get to the end of what I'm writing, but only rarely now do I get to read from end to end a message before posting it. Want an example? This message disappeared five times before I was able to post it. Make that 12 times. I tried to change a period to a question mark and the message disappeared five more times.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

I do on a regular basis, and have a 20 mbps line speed. Usually hangs for a bit loading the google ads. Shows the page and then goes to limbo loading the advertisements.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'm not seeing any difference in speed at all. It still goes just as fast for me. Maybe try clearing out your browser cache?
    Sorry, the above post was in response to Enders response....
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Upgrading software of a web is usually positive. At the same time, I had some thoughts about a couple of minor things that may contribute to the betterment of this site, and can be ignored as well.

- Is it possible to increase the size limit of the photos to be uploaded? 1,024x1,024 pixels don't seem to be big enough these days as a lot of people are using large monitors with high resolutions. JPEG compression may help offset the storage problem brought by the larger dimensions of the photos.

- It's a little disheartening to see the photos in WB gallery get downsized when attached to a post here at WB. The point is, the post-process rendered from a more sophisticated software is much better than the processing engine here.

FWIW, the pics just don't look as nice after the update; I liked the old Gallery much better.

Images

I agree. Nothing was wrong with the old site.
    Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Please go back to the old WAY..... it was just fine

Images

The site is getting a little better every day.

And, I found the spellchecker !!!! Not sure if it was on the old version, but it is something I really appreciate.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    So many features, so few donating members.
    but enough donations to buy an update and extra cost of the unbranded version, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    but enough donations to buy an update and extra cost of the unbranded version, huh?
    You have no idea whether or not the upgrade was paid for with donations or out-of-pocket by the owner and/or mods.

Images

Expect more posts from those who don't visit regularly and haven't read the entire thread.

Journal Entries
    Images

Still frustrated, its great on FireFox lousy on Explorer, at least I can now log in on Explorer. The " I have posted in this thread Flag" grey on green is awful.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

No, no, no. The old was was not fine. The old way was extremely broken. I can't even begin to tell you how antiquated and cluttered the whole site was. It is not 1998 on the web anymore!

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

The slow loading, screen jumping up/down and general sluggishness are
    tolerable, but the site is simply not up to previous performance, which
    was better than average. I am not saying this to complain, just to give
    objective feedback.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed some quirks when visiting the upgraded site using an iPhone/smartphone The pre upgrade layout was identical on my computer and phone, but the new site has had problems loading correctly on my phone, also it seems that every time I post a reply, the system ignores where I hit return and condenses the response into one long running paragraph.(Next paragraph) This is not mean to be a complaint about the upgrade, I just hope that these bugs are going to get sorted out at some point.(Next paragraph) And please, don't reply pointing out that there is some sort of mobile app available, I didn't get a phone with a fully functioning web bowser just to go to a fake website.

I think you just pointed out why this was done.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in FL View Post
    The slow loading, screen jumping up/down and general sluggishness are
    tolerable, but the site is simply not up to previous performance, which
    was better than average. I am not saying this to complain, just to give
    objective feedback.

Well if you stop hopping up and down over there while posting on a old computer maybe we can all have a better day! - just kidding. I see it too.

Woo

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++