WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Hey - thanks! I'm loving the Dri-ducks poncho. It's a great piece of gear - perfect for those late afternoon thunderbursts.

Where to in ME?
    so glad you like it -- i'll be bringing mine with me tomorrow...i'm going hiking for just have a couple of days, and it'll be from Grafton Notch north to route 17. silly short trip, mostly driving, i know. i'm chipping away at maine now. this trip'll bring me down to about 375 trail miles left. rest of the miles are in northern virginia. my 3 kids all agreed that they'd climb kitahdin with me when the time comes, though...
    Lazarus

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    my 3 kids all agreed that they'd climb kitahdin with me when the time comes, though...
    So how did you get your kids to agree to joining you on your final AT climb?! I haven't been able to convince my wife or daughter to join me when the time comes, although I haven't given up on my daughter yet.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    So how did you get your kids to agree to joining you on your final AT climb?! I haven't been able to convince my wife or daughter to join me when the time comes, although I haven't given up on my daughter yet.
    well, i guess the truth of the matter is that i hardly ever convince them to do anything -- i think they all want to come... and they do know that it is a major rite of passage for their old man. 10k, I just got back from my "fast" hike north from Grafton notch. I had a major adjustment to make -- not used to hiking when there is good visibility! sweet trip.
    Lazarus

"...stoveless." hmmm? Well, to each his own. My ti CC Sidewinder stove W/ Inferno woodburning inserts, a matching 3 cup hard anodized aluminum pot & lid, plastic cup & cut down Ziploc bowl plus aluminum pot gripper weigh in at 10.0 oz. Leave out the pot gripper and it's 8 oz. Yeah, 1/2 lb for cooking but no fuel weight. That ain't bad for the pleasure of a hot, tasty meal.

I do live to eat and not vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    "...stoveless." hmmm? Well, to each his own. My ti CC Sidewinder stove W/ Inferno woodburning inserts, a matching 3 cup hard anodized aluminum pot & lid, plastic cup & cut down Ziploc bowl plus aluminum pot gripper weigh in at 10.0 oz. Leave out the pot gripper and it's 8 oz. Yeah, 1/2 lb for cooking but no fuel weight. That ain't bad for the pleasure of a hot, tasty meal.
    To each his own. for sure. I personally hate cooked meals on the trail. My experience only goes to the 10-day mark so I reserve the right to change my opinion when on a thru. I very rarely take a stove on the trail and am very content.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Not needing any cold weather stuff is a big help. Also, I'm going stoveless so my food seems to weigh more (is that normal?) - I could probably lose another 8 ozs going with my esbit stove and dehydrated food but I want to see how stoveless works. I like the idea of not having to cook, clean, find water, etc. Just for the summer though - cold weather will bring the stove back.
    What's on your menu?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++