WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Religion on trail

There was a group or groups last year and maybe this year on the trail talking religion. What do you think? I have attended a church most of my life but as of recently have been questioning my faith. Is it real or not? Serious reply's only please!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

I ran into 2 youth groups hiking a section hike last year. There is a camp near Damascus that puts youth groups out on the trail. I was having lunch on Whitetop and they decided to do some preaching as I ate. There youth pastor never got the hint I wanted to be left alone and the youth members ran around like monkeys as if I wasn't there. IMHO religion and politics should be left off the trail. I prefer to never talk politics, and I prefer not to sit around and talk religion. Religion should be left to your own interpretations and beliefs and should be kept to yourself. and Yes I got to church often and always have

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Agree with Redeye, politics and religion are terrible subjects to bring up around strangers you've just met. Especially on a place like the A.T. that many folks use as a temporary escape from society and it's accompanying banter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It's always good to have!

I've spoken to graffiti damage on another thread, but religious graffiti is even more absurd to me. How does covering shelter walls with you beliefs bring you closer to that belief? How does carving your message into a picnic table bring someone into your life? It's no different than Charles Manson graffiti to me.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I have to agree with Redeye and others that the trail is not the best place for some of the discussions that occur, religious or otherwise. However, each year there seems to be a few people that hike the AT with the mission to convert as many people as possible. Some of them will leave bibles in shelters, some will leave gospel tracts. The thing I find most interesting is how many people with Christian bumper stickers pass me by as I am trying to hitch into town.

On the other hand, though, I do have a couple of good hiker friends who are repeat offenders along the AT. They wear their beliefs on their shoulder and don't hide the fact that they are believers. However, I have never found them to be overbearing and have always been respectful regarding my personal beliefs. They have also put their words into actions by helping out hikers every year.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

Thumpers on the trail have been a problem for a while - if you ask me for advice on say, how to repair your stove, I'd love to help you out, if you ask someone about religion, then the topic is fair game, but those folks that get it in their head that the hiking community in general is a population that is ripe for "saving" and sets out to tell us how they know all the answers is pretty offensive. They should be repelled just like deer flies or an unwanted bear prowling around the campsite. Steer clear and move-on if necessary.

I don't see why people let these discussions lead to big arguments. I like to express a lot of opinions on things including this one, but when it comes to my confidence factor in my opinion on this issue I'm in doubt. It's just a subject that I can't seem to get a feeling for like other topics. However, I have a lot of confidence in my negative feelings towards religion, i.e. the hierarchy.

Images

I am a non believer, but have many friends that are strong believers. We respect each other, and are able to talk about it in a philosophical way. If you can take much of the emotion out, a good conversation can be had. I'm not sure that would be possible with someone that is proselytizing to strangers.

Images

Why is it that actively denouncing religion and being disrespectful towards those who believe in god is considered wrong, but "evangelism" on the side of the religious is regarded as okay? Religion should be a completely private matter; concerning your own life and nobody's else's, both on and off the trail.

The occasions on the Trail in which I've either been engaged in or listening to religious discussions have all been positive in that no one was "preachy" and the discussions reflected respect for different perspectives. There was no "you should believe as I tell you or you won't be saved" type of talk. That's not to say hikers don't encounter such proseltyzing; I just haven't experienced it myself. On a long section hike in '05, I met 2 Baptist seminarians who were terrific guys and even said that some non-believer hikers were better persons, in their opinion, than some of the smug, mean-spirited people in their parishes.

Now hitchhiking is another realm - twice, I've had rides from preachy types who were trying ensure I was "saved." I'm a liberal Protestant which means in their eyes, I'm probably an apostate. But since they offered rides, I didn't argue, at least not with the first one. The second one approached me unsolicited so by the end of the ride, I was challenging him some.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    There was a group or groups last year and maybe this year on the trail talking religion. What do you think? I have attended a church most of my life but as of recently have been questioning my faith. Is it real or not? Serious reply's only please!
    Not sure what you are asking. Religion and faith cover a lot of ground, both are real. Since you said church I would assume you are referring to a Christian religion, which still covers a lot of ground. The term faith can have a lot of meanings. I have question my faith a lot over the years, my religious practices have changed around but my faith is strong and simple. In all seriousness, take a hike. Maybe a nice trail other than the AT where you can have some time alone, leave the Bible at home, just you and God.
    Alcohol was involved!

I am agnostic, and I generally find that it doesn't come up in conversation. If it does, I usually say I don't like talking about religion. I was raised in an ultra religious household where my parents literally tried to brainwash me for 18 years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I am agnostic, and I generally find that it doesn't come up in conversation. If it does, I usually say I don't like talking about religion. I was raised in an ultra religious household where my parents literally tried to brainwash me for 18 years.
    yeah,,, unfortunately indoctrination is widespread. Fortunately my daughter has a dad who will teach her to explore all possibilities and decide for herself.

As for the OP's original question, I shut a thumper down quickly. I get enough Jehovey's and the like at my doorstep at home. I certainly don't need to hear about deity theories in the woods.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don't see why people let these discussions lead to big arguments. I like to express a lot of opinions on things including this one, but when it comes to my confidence factor in my opinion on this issue I'm in doubt. It's just a subject that I can't seem to get a feeling for like other topics. However, I have a lot of confidence in my negative feelings towards religion, i.e. the hierarchy.
    I enjoy discussing religion with those that genuinely want a discussion. I tend to just laugh at those who prefer to preach. I generally find I know more than the believers about the roots of their faiths. Most thinking people seem to have no sure answers about such matters. And mostly find discussion helpful, at least I do. Though I become increasingly a doubter, the more that I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    ... Some of them will leave bibles in shelters,....
    Saw numerous brand new bibles left in the GA shelters this spring. Didn't really care for them being left for numerous reasons, one of which is that they soon become trash (torn up for fire starter, wet cause a mouse chewed a hole in the baggie holding it, mouse poop all over it, etc), and we end up having to haul it out. We hauled over 100 pounds of trash off the AT this year and personally I'd like to have that number decreased! I know the bibles were left with 'good intentions', but IMHO, a trail shelter is not where they belong.

Images

Years ago, in an interview for esquire magazine, when Jack Nicholson was asked about religion, he replied "Do unto others", is there anything else you really need to know?
    Just shut up and walk the walk.

Whether people are disrespectfully pushy about religion or lightening one's pack or not lightening one's pack it is all the same and comes off bad. If people are respectful and follow social cues I will gladly talk about any hot button topic in camp or on the trail. I believe the OP asked is it real? While I may categorize myself as spiritual I could not at all be mistaken for religious. I think that no matter how one frames it whether it is religiously, scientifically or somehere in between, if you take the time to think about it how can you not be enthralled by the great mysteries of the universe. To strive to live a good life, to appreciate life and it's gifts, to reflect on our own journey; these are attributes of many people perhaps even a higher percentage of hikers. Religious, agnostic, atheist; these are all just words. Anyone who uses religion as an excuse to browbeat people, to pick arguments(unless consenting intellectual exchanges), or for that matter war or kill has completely missed the boat in my opinion.

Images

To experience the miracles of nature is more than enough religion for me.Many people use the trail for some sort of "self-discovery", and find when they look outside themselves, the universe is a beautiful, miraculous place.Doesnt matter whether you're religious, spiritual, agnostic or otherwise.

I don't understand how the OP's question was directed - "Is it real or not?"

I don't see a problem with leaving a religious tract in a privy or shelter. If you don't want to read it then don't. Isn't that what some people tell other people who claim there is too much sex, violence, and/or inappropraiate adult situations on TV? Change the channel. Read it, or a bible, and you might learn something that will postively impact your life and others! If not, use it as TP or firestarter material if you like. As long as folks are respectful and considerate and DO NOT cross a line, which is different for different people, and the speaker picks up on those social cues(as mentioned), I don't mind discussing or having someone share ther beliefs as long as they are willing to listen to mine in the same way though! If that line is crossed, I sometimes will politely listen for a brief spell longer but than openly and respectfully make my intentions clear that I'm not interested in hearing anymore. If someone can't respect my thoughts too than it's time for me, or them, to move on.

Like Weary alluded to, I'm also interested in having a genuine discussion NOT BEING PREACED DOWN TO!

It does seem religionists have this notion that if you wander(hike) you are lost! Around these types, I like wearing my Life Is Good shirts that state "All Who Wander Are Not Lost" or "The Road To Heaven Is Not Always a Road."

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++