WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I know we're getting way off topic, but Morgan Freemans show "Through the Wormhole", on Science channel, questions everything we iknow about"modern physics", whether time actually exists, all the things weve been discussing(outside of the original OP query).to put all your faith in religion may be a mistake, but putting all your faith into science can be equally erroneous.the show is absolutely fascinating, you will begin to question the nature of "reality itself.they are all just theories.
    Love those shows. They really get the mind thinking.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i died 4 times at the hospital. never saw god. what's up with that?

Not to worry, Lone Wolf. He saw you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i died 4 times at the hospital. never saw god. what's up with that?
    What you have to consider, is the possibility that God doesn't like you.

Well, death certainly doesn't want to have anything to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    What you have to consider, is the possibility that God doesn't like you.
    that's highly unlikely. seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in FL View Post
    Not to worry, Lone Wolf. He saw you.
    that's comforting. at least i got that going for me

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Being a person that does not subscribe to any particular religious belief, I am actually not offended by any talk of religion or by the desire someone might have to save my soul. I am much more offended by those that believe that religion should be private and never talked about.
    The problem is most don't want to talk about it, they want to preach their dogma. I can have a discussion on religion, I can not stand being preached to, that I find offensive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yari View Post
    The problem is most don't want to talk about it, they want to preach their dogma. I can have a discussion on religion, I can not stand being preached to, that I find offensive.
    +1 Agree, discuss but don't preach.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yari View Post
    And yet everyone preaches about that which they may be passionate about. And that is the problem with those that will generally object about another's beliefs about religion all the while drinking the kool-aid that they believe in. The double standard is strong here.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I know we're getting way off topic, but Morgan Freemans show "Through the Wormhole", on Science channel, questions everything we iknow about"modern physics", whether time actually exists, all the things weve been discussing(outside of the original OP query).to put all your faith in religion may be a mistake, but putting all your faith into science can be equally erroneous.the show is absolutely fascinating, you will begin to question the nature of "reality itself.they are all just theories.
    Yes, but these theories hold much higher ground to some people than religious faith. A theory is based on a hypothesis backed by evidence. Explaining the universe and everything in it by crediting God has as much validity as crediting it to a sacred bumble bee, or a tumble weed blowing through the nothingness before the universe. On the other hand, explaining the creation of the universe using the big bang theory and the emergence of humans using the theory of evolution has been shown to be the most likely scenarios based on observable evidence. A theory isn't simply a guess but a valid possible solution. Religion is simply a guess.

I think it should be noted in science vs religion arguments that the last book of the bible was written around something like 100 a.d. and modern science started around the 1600s. No wonder the authors of the bible credited everything to god! They were ancient people with none of the knowledge we now have. We no longer believe in alchemy, that the round is flat, or that everything revolves around earth. Why do we still believe in God, which falls right in line with all of these other failed beliefs. The way I see it is that the bible was the science text books of ancient times, and science text books are the bibles of modern times.

I agree with you that putting all ones faith into science can be as equally dangerous as putting all ones faith into religion. I myself do not believe 100% in the big bang or evolution, but do take comfort in something that can actually be seen and tested.
    Last edited by swash; 07-03-2011 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by swash View Post
    ..... Religion is simply a guess.
    Except for some people, religion is a divinely-revealed "truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    And yet everyone preaches about that which they may be passionate about. And that is the problem with those that will generally object about another's beliefs about religion all the while drinking the kool-aid that they believe in. The double standard is strong here.
    But, that is the thing. I don't care what someone else believes in. As far as I am concerned if believing in god or gods or who or whatever it is gets you through the dark times I am all for it, for you. The only thing I want is the is the same consideration and respect for my non-beliefs. I get tired of the many religious people that assume I don't believe in a god because I "haven't heard the word" and once they supply it to me I will fall onto my knees in awe and wonder. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. I was raised Catholic, went thru 13 years of Catholic schooling, studied religion pretty extensively in college, have read the Bible (several versions), the Qu'ran, the Torah (which has interesting differences from the christian old testament), the Book of Mormon, and several other more obscure religious texts. The simple fact of the matter is I don't buy into the belief in a being "greater than ourselves". The more I have educated myself on the subject, the stronger I feel that it is a coping mechanism. However, I am perfectly content in letting others believe what they wish. If it works for them who am I to challenge their belief? I don't bring up religion with people I don't know because it is something that people feel very strongly, personally and passionately about. It is very rare to find someone that is unbiased on the subject. I love a good religious discussion when I know that the person I am speaking with can debate the subject without becoming upset. But, those people are few and far between and you need to know them well to make that judgment. There can be no double standard because I am not interested in convincing anyone of anything. It is impossible to prove a negative.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ~Luna~ View Post
    +1 Agree, discuss but don't preach.
    Also agree and will add don't try to make one's sect's dogma the law of the land!!!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

but putting all your faith into science can be equally erroneous.the show is absolutely fascinating, you will begin to question the nature of "reality itself.they are all just theories.
    You don't put your faith in science, because it is proven, not just an unsubstantiated belief. Also, huge difference between the word theory in science and layman's terms. I remember in sunday school in 2nd grade, we were sitting around studying the bible, I raised my hand and asked the preacher, "do people actually believe in this crap?", of course, I was punished severely by my parents and told to "just believe, don't ask questions".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    You don't put your faith in science, because it is proven, not just an unsubstantiated belief. Also, huge difference between the word theory in science and layman's terms. I remember in sunday school in 2nd grade, we were sitting around studying the bible, I raised my hand and asked the preacher, "do people actually believe in this crap?", of course, I was punished severely by my parents and told to "just believe, don't ask questions".
    String theory is not "proven". a multidimensional universe is not proven, the Big Bang theory is a theory, not proven, and many "scientists" now believe something may have come before the big bang, maybe many big bangs.We cant expalin about 90% of the mass in the known universe, and have come up with the term dark matter to put a name on something they cant explain.there still is no universal model to unite quantum mechanics with gravity.Many scientific theories that have been "proven" have later been unproven.
    question everything, not just religion.who knows, you may be living inside your own dream, and all of reality may exist outside of that dream.

Images

If you want to start a really long WB Thread - start a conversation about one of the following topics - they go on forever and a new one starts every few weeks:

Religion and Thumpers on the trail
    Wal-Mart Shopping (pros, cons, ethics)
    Sketchy People and Safety
    Look over the contents of my pack - what do you think?
    Music to listen to on the trail

More specific posts regarding opinions of places, shelters, specific events, weather, specific hikers, specific gear or methods are really so much more interesting.

String theory is not "proven". a multidimensional universe is not proven, the Big Bang theory is a theory, not proven, and many "scientists" now believe something may have come before the big bang, maybe many big bangs.We cant expalin about 90% of the mass in the known universe, and have come up with the term dark matter to put a name on something they cant explain.there still is no universal model to unite quantum mechanics with gravity.Many scientific theories that have been "proven" have later been unproven.
    question everything, not just religion.who knows, you may be living inside your own dream, and all of reality may exist outside of that dream.
    Good post. In the end you just got to shrug your shoulders and say, "I don't know...." But it's fun to think about

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    If you want to start a really long WB Thread - start a conversation about one of the following topics - they go on forever and a new one starts every few weeks:

Religion and Thumpers on the trail
    Wal-Mart Shopping (pros, cons, ethics)
    Sketchy People and Safety
    Look over the contents of my pack - what do you think?
    Music to listen to on the trail

More specific posts regarding opinions of places, shelters, specific events, weather, specific hikers, specific gear or methods are really so much more interesting.
    Do I need maps? , How much money do I need?, and Do you have to use mail drops? are some more good ones.

I'm hiking the trail this year... Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
    I'm hiking the trail this year... Yeah
    Hey JC, I know you!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++