WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you.

Images

If you're intent on finishing the entire trail, then a little preparation is in order, and WB is an excellent source for it, although as noted above, theres hardl ever real consensus among us.
    If you really arent intent on finishing the trail,and you feel the dogs will help promote healing, then just do it. If you only end up doing the state of Mainer, and have found the healing you seek, then the journey will be a success.Its the journey, not the destination.
    Go hike. Heal.

Thank you.

Thank you. Best advice

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Make sure to do your shakedown hikes in crappy weather if you can (i.e. hike some in the rain). Things are all hunky dory when it's sunny with blue skies like you see in the pictures in a Backpacker mag, but the brain can do a mental 180 when you get wet if you're not used to dealing with that. I wouldn't recommend bringing the dogs if you do not have a lot of experience hiking as the logistics are more complicated. Also, make sure to check for ticks regularly when you're out on the trail...they're pretty bad right now here in VA.

start in maine and go for it....your dogs can't climb katahdin or go in baxter state park...there is a lady in millinocket maine (25 miles) from baxter that will watch them.....pm me and i'll give you her number.......plenty of water in maine and it is a great place to heal...if the dogs do alright there you'll have no problems.....hope you have a great time....i'll be heading sobo from katahdin in 2 weeks......
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

Hey,
    I'm all for dogs on the trail...unlike some. I'm also for responsible dog owners on the trail as well who watch out for their dogs and their well being, including proper diet and 100% leash use... NO EXCEPTION. There are hikers including myself that will do what needs to be done if attacked by a loose dog. Someone else turned me onto this thread to give you some words of wisdom.

Like you I am a noob. I've done some hiking and just got back from a 12mi backpacking trip with my two 15lb small dogs....not a huge hike...BUT learned a lot. First thing I learned was that the dog is a limiting factor. No dog will be able to hike the trail without assistance...no matter the shape. They may be able to jump 20 boulders....but not 200. You will be having to assist them.

Secondly, by them jumping up the boulders they will wear down their pads...you WILL need booties. NOT the walmart variety, but something from Ruffwear or similar. In two days my dogs were starting to wear their pads raw. One more day they would be in bad shape.

Thirdly, one tent, two guys and three medium sized dogs? Maybe for an emergency shelter...but NOT for sleeping or anything else. Any tent that would hold the five of you would be WAY too heavy to carry any distance. Don't say you can as that is just arrogance speaking...be real-it IS too heavy Perhaps two, 2 person tents.

On the leash use; how are two of you planning on walking your LEASHED dogs, climbing mountains, fording streams, while carrying 30 lb packs 1500mi? Something to think about.

I don't mean to sound bad, but you will be hiking your dogs hike. Honestly It would be doable with just two dogs...but the third is the issue. You will need a hand free and you won't be able to keep two dogs side by side under leash. If you think you can do it...great, don't let anyone stop you. Do it right though, and don't be an idiot to any other hikers. No one likes loose dogs on the trail...including dog lovers.

PM me if you have any specific questions
    School makes you sound wise, while the world actually makes you wise.

I believe they'll thank you in the end, Raven. You don't learn about dogs on the trail from short day hikes. Planning on a long hike, when you're new, is tough on the logistics. Planning for three dogs would not only double the logistics. I'm not going to comment at length on the motivation for the hike - like others, I feel that anything will do. However, in this case, it appears a lot of emotion has gone into a choice which needs a lot of cool-headed thinking...

Agreed. Two days ago we hiked a 25 mi. steep elevation changing hike. The dogs did very well. They are leashed and tied to our packs. Their pads held up well. We are going on a ten mi. Tomorrow with full weight. We are going to feed our dogs a high cal/protein food while on the AT. I am seriously considering the booties. We have the ruffwear approach packs already. We will actually be using the gravity filters for water. The two man tent sleeps us all pretty well. The dogs lie where they do. They are good cuddlers. I appreciate all of your words of wisdom. We have learned a good bit in the past two weeks and will continue to learn. We will be heading out at Rockfish Gap NOBO on July 17th. We will walk until the walk is done. Thank you all, again. Your fellow man...

Glad you are doing some test hikes. On the dogs pads...I found it gets worse when wet. Not sure why. If enroute you have questions...feel free to ask. For food and I'm sure you know this...you get what you pay for. ALPO is crap, We feed ours a food based on salmon. We also share our own food.
    School makes you sound wise, while the world actually makes you wise.

Do the hike...minus the dogs. I can't imagine hiking with 3 dogs over rocks, uneven surfaces...no water exactly when they need it and on a leash? That's alot.

Always keep your head on a swivel

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Really, you should probably have him write a check for the maximum tax-free gift ($20,000 still?) to you, and you can just pay for the thru-hike expenses for both of you, then give him the leftovers once you finish.
    The tax-free limit is $13,000, but regardless, that is more than enough to have a VERY enjoyable hike, with copious amounts of pizza and beer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++