WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Day Hiking Weight?

I was wondering what kind of weight you all tote around on a day hike.

I use a Gossamer Gear RikSak (2oz) and keep about 1 pound of gear base weight.

-RB

Working on Forestry Grad schol

How much does a box of wine weigh?

Images

This is going to largely depend on where Im going and when. On some hikes, Ive taken no more than a water bottle, on othters, Im carrying at least 6 or 7 of the 10 essentials.Are you dayhiking Mt Washington or Bear mountain?.

Same thing I carry on regular hikes aside from a sleeping bag and sleeping pad. It helps me train for my longer hikes, and keeps my pack weight down.

We do the samething that Trailbender does - ie, carry the same weight we would if we were hiking. It either helps us train or keeps us in condition once we are trained for a longer hike. We use old packs stuffed with old blankets and water.

I use a $10.00 backpack I got at Target -- weighs about 12 ounces. I put water bottles (as much as 3 liters if water won't be available), snacks, map and a rain jacket in the pack. I guess without the weight of the water I carry about 2.5 to 3 pounds.

Forgot to mention, your signature. Nice to see there are still hikers out there with wilderness survival skills. My favorite woods knife is a Mora #2, light, and strong. Haven't tried any of the RAT knives yet.

Images

I carry stupid-heavy weight on dayhikes. Cameras and lenses, binoculars, a tripod, etc. Hard back books, even. Why not? It's a day hike....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I know Rik. He lives in my town. I've been backpacking with him. It looks like you live in California, too.

I usually don't carry much when I go hiking. I carry some water and lunch. If it might be cold, I carry my 4oz Houdini. Sometimes I bring a < 1oz pennywhistle. Sometimes I bring a heavy piece of fruit. Sometimes I bring 3 liters of water. Sometimes an umbrella and gloves. And usually I put it in a hydration backpack or a lumbar pack. It's all good.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I usually have camera and an extra lens, binoculars, food, water (and sometimes my wifes water), maybe guidebook or pages, and depending on the forecast an outer layer - not so careful abt weight if just out for a few hours or a day.

I'm not too concerned with weight on a day hike. I take whatever I need and what will make my hike enjoyable (camera, heavy food or drink, etc.).

Images

On my last day hike I took about 35lbs with me...I can only guess that the load will continue to increase in weight.

highpoint.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    On my last day hike I took about 35lbs with me...I can only guess that the load will continue to increase in weight.

highpoint.jpg

Great pic!

Its a day hike, who cares how much you carry...besides, I just consider it good conditioning for backpacking.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Going near Harpers ferry on Saturday. It will be in the mid-90's. Pack weight, about 25 lbs. 5lb pack, and about 8 L of water, plus some odds and ends. Heck, my pack doesn't much different on a 5 day hike. Who cares on a day hike? Besides my pack will get lighter as I go.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

++ New Posts ++