WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default One pair of pants.

First of all your article was very helpful. But I am puzzled about what to do if I only have one pair of pants and it is time to do laundry.

Jumper

Images

put on your rain pants
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysf View Post
    First of all your article was very helpful. But I am puzzled about what to do if I only have one pair of pants and it is time to do laundry.

Jumper
    My solution: the shorts I wear for hiking are of a lightweight synthetic fabric. I wash them in the sink with soap. They air-dry in minutes. Put them back on (perhaps even a bit damp...) and wear them while washing everything else.

Images

ground clothes make good skirts too while doing laundry
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Default Blood clotting anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Tourniquets have the possibility of killing whatever limb you put them on, plus the person using them needs to know how to use it (i.e. loosening it every 15 minutes). What you need is a "blowout kit", similar to what is used by soldiers to treat gunshot wounds. They contain a clotting agent which will make a massive wound clot up within a minute or two.
    Here's the latest thing to stop massive blood loss. And it's cheap, to boot!
    Anyone running a chain saw around the house would do well to consider this! http://www.basegear.com/quikclot-z-medica.html

Images

or you go to a pet store, look near the animal nail clippers and find quikstop, half the price, i carry a small amount w/ me in a little plastic baggy, it stings, learned about it from grooming dogs.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

You can get a styptic pencil or powder at any drugstore with the shaving supplies. It's basically alum. I'm not sure why you would need it on the A.T.

Images

Be sure to carry that spare pair of boots. I actually went on a scout 50 miler (started at Amacolola) with a guy that carried a spare of everything. Yes, he did outhike me; I was carring all the food. My pack weighed in at 72 lbs. his was 50 lbs. Since that experence, I carry no more than 25-30 lbs tops. MACHO vs STUPID! Got to say that I learned the hard way what not o carry.

Goofy or not I love my gaiters. I tend to end up with a bushel of sticks and leaves in my boots if I hike without them. I got my first pair at the Mt. Rogers Outfitter and have worn them every since. I also carry a small radio that clips on my chest strap. It has saved me some wet days of hiking by knowing when rain is coming. I have avoided a few severe thunderstorms by hiking extra miles to town or getting to a shelter since I don't carry a tent. It's great on long climbs to take you mind off the pain.

Default What to leave home/preparation for a thru-hike

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    put on your rain pants
    LOL, I did that. I had a pants and shirt set of Frogg Toggs. I wore the pants only once. I was doing my laundry wearing my frogg togg pants when I bent down. The pants split open from front to back. It wasn't a small matter...it was the full monty. It was a special moment for me and the old woman who was waiting for her laundry. She dealt with it pretty good...at least she didn't giggle and point.

Not sure if it has been suggested already but if you are set of bringing a book, why not an audio book if you are already carrying sometype of player. Personally, I like my Zen. Its small, light, built in radio & voice recorder, AA batteries, etc. If you really wanted a book just upload it onto your Zen and your done. No extra weight. Also, you can record your voice for reminders later on down the trail if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    Somewhere along the line i believe i read that the original use for superglue
    i.e.,the reason it was developed-was as a way to stop bleeding and suture
    up injuries in the field.
    Is this true or is it urban legend?.One thing is for sure-it will glue your fingers
    together and if nothing else was available(or working) you bet i would use it
    before letting myself or someone else bleed to death.
    Cheers to all.
    Oldfivetango
    I use glue on cuts every now and then. White sticky glue from the art store. Its stronger and better then elmers. It actually works really well on small cuts on hands and arms. I wouldn't reccomend using it on large cuts. The glue is non toxic ( yes you can eat it too), and has no harsh smell. I'd stay away from the stronger clear cement glues.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    LOL, I did that. I had a pants and shirt set of Frogg Toggs. I wore the pants only once. I was doing my laundry wearing my frogg togg pants when I bent down. The pants split open from front to back. It wasn't a small matter...it was the full monty. It was a special moment for me and the old woman who was waiting for her laundry. She dealt with it pretty good...at least she didn't giggle and point.
    I had something similar happen with my ProVent pants (same stuff as FroggToggs) right up the crotch seam. I got a Tyvek mailer envelope and made a patch that covers the hole and reinforces the area - it is still going strong a few years later.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default MP3 player, SD cards, and audio books

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Not sure if it has been suggested already but if you are set of bringing a book, why not an audio book if you are already carrying sometype of player. Personally, I like my Zen. Its small, light, built in radio & voice recorder, AA batteries, etc. If you really wanted a book just upload it onto your Zen and your done. No extra weight. Also, you can record your voice for reminders later on down the trail if needed.
    I suggest a mp3 player with a removable sd card slot. Then get a couple of sd cards and get someone to send you audio books on the sd cards. Many public libraries have audio book collections you can rip/transfer to sd cards.

Audio books move fairly slow so turned down low, you can still enjoy the scenary/ bird songs/ etc while listening to a good book.

It is getting harder to find MP3 players with SD cards and AAA batteries. But Sansa still makes a couple (the e140 and the e130). A 1 gb SD card can hold about 10 audio books.

<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

Default Where was this list when I.....

made my first 'attempted' thru hike Feb. '01.

Thanks for a great post A-Train.

Just a few notes from an old Army medic and several times failed AT thru hiker. Hopefully I have learned something useful from some hike ending mistakes ?

First the "mental" load. Remember this is the "AT", your not going off to the end of the earth. Except for the northern part of the AT, one is rarley more than 1/2 to 1 day hike from help. It's my understanding that if you make it as far as Maine you will no longer have any gear fears. Lighten up.

"To thine ownself be true." As someone mentioned earlier try to have your gear gathered and tried out at least 7 to 10 days before starting your AT thru, or section hike. More time with your gear is better here, so if you have to change some gear, hopefully you have time.

Field test everything, even if you only have time to hike out to your yard.

I know my neighbors get lots of chuckles everytime they see me 'camped out' in the yard. And my two favorite grandkids have lots of fun spraying me with the garden hose. But I know "before" I start my hike if I have any water leaks, and have time to correct and prepare for this problem if it, and it probally will, happens again.

Check all gear throughly. I got me a nice super-light shelter sometime back that needed all the tie-out points redone. Much easier done at home on the sofa watching the boob tube than out in the trail in the wind and/or rain. Check all of your gear before leaving your humble adobe. Discovering your stove doesn't work, missing a tent peg or some needed line, your footwear really isn't correct for YOU, etc., etc. out on the trail is NO FUN at all.

As much as possible know your and your gears limitations.
    Example: If your starting your hike from Springer in Feb. You really need to know for sure if you have the correct temperature sleeping bag for YOU. Are you a cold or warm sleeper ? This can make as much as 10 or 15 degree difference in your SB rating. I have seen to many hikers try to skimp on this. This is where you spend most of the night doing the hot water bottle thing so you don't freeze to death. Yes a platapus will hold boiling hot water. Be careful here ! If the water leaks inside your bedding your not going to like it ! This is one mistake I haven't made yet..I usually error on the side of to much bag.

I know my now ex-wife really thought she was helping me when she got me that BIG Gregory Palisade backpack for a year 2000 x-mas present.
    Of course I felt duty bound to go FILL IT UP with 50 lbs of food, water, and gear. The only piece of gear I have left from that attempt is my old faithful Feathered Friends 10 degee Sleeping Bag( please no flames about the never ending down VS synthetic debate).

Lesson learned. Get your gear, make sure it's what YOU need and want.
    Then sort out the correct backpack for YOU. I wouldn't part with my Breeze(14 oz.3700ci) or the ULA pack I got for heaver loads At Walasi-Yi a few years back( don't like overloading my fav. grandson, and need the hip-belt for the 25 to 30 lbs I usually end up with. I have to live long enough to get him back huh..lol ). The Breeze doesn't have a hip-belt, the ULA does. I don't miss the over 6lb, 5000ci Palisade even a little bit. Of course if I decided to do some hiking out in Footslogger country I might want to borrow one ?

Because I am special 'lol' (Type II diabetes) I always carry a 2oz. bottle of rubbing alcohol to refresh my feet with once or twice a day as I hike. Some matches and homemade sewing kit(thru-hiker.com) inside a used 35mm film container. And because I am a natural born CLUTZ and would find a nice sharp stick to punch a hole in my pretty, light-weight shelters floor, expensive too ! I always carry and use some Tyvex.

I have found Gore-tex products to be a expensive waste of funds. Your feet are going to get WET. Get footwear that DRYS quick !
    The high dollar Gore-Tex boots I used on my first hike weighed over 8lbs each on the scales at Neals Gap after just ONE day of hiking in LIGHT rain. Besides that after just a couple of hours the insides were full of cold water that couldn't get out. Hiking down that long down into Neals was NOT fun that day ! They did make some useful motorcycle riding boots though. Sheese I had to figure out how to get my monies worth somehow huh ?

And I have some shortie gators that I use in trying to limit the scree from getting inside my footwear and seems to help keep scud and snow off the laces. I do believe they help, but probally will not ever replace.

Well these "notes" have got much to long. Pack a light, worry free mind is what I mostly want to add to the already great list. If it's going to bother YOU during your hike, if at all possible take care of it before you start. I have found that 'worry' weighs to much for me.

I always carry a extra white hankerchief and make sure my trip-light line is handy in case a 'pressure dressing is called for. Almost anything will work, including one's hand to stop bleeding, at least temporarily. Might want to make sure the injured party is breathing first ! And head wounds, not always, but usually look much worse than they are. If ithe wound is not spurting a cold water soaked cloth will usually do the trick on head wounds .If it is 'spurting', ie.arterial bleeding, get pressure on the wound ASAP with whatever you can find. Worry about proper cleaning and antiseptics later.

This site might help in sorting out some first aid options.
    The American Red Cross does offer some real good inexpensive classes in CPR and First Aid.

http://www.tnstate.edu/interior.asp?mid=2773&ptid=1

Thanks again A-train

This thread has give me a few new ideas and reminded me of an old forgotten trick.
    Last edited by Zzzzdyd; 01-06-2008 at 22:10.
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Images

ZZZdyd-

Thanks for taking the time to add your input and suggestions. I very much agree with your ideas regarding familiarizing yourself with your gear and learning to trust it. I think your post should be required reading for future AT hikers
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default First aid supplies

I think that you must carry antibiotic cream as well as large band-aids,
    sterile pads, gauze tape. If you did have a bleeding injury, these are all necessary to prevent infection -- super-important on the trail. I also carry an Ace bandage for possible sprains and temporary "twisting injuries." Safety Pins (my trail name!) But they're a good idea, too.

I hone my list of 'got to have' things on local hikes around North Florida. If I don't need it here, I probably don't need it on the AT. Nothing should go on a long hike, if you have not tested it in advance. Nothing.

Default Bringing Along A Guitar

Anyone Out There Ever Bring Or Attempt To Bring A Guitar On A Thru? Im A Die Hard Musician And Would Really Like To Bring One Along. There Are Models Out There That Are Made Just For Backpacking, Very Lite, Streamlined Versions. I Just Wonder What Kind Of Problems I May Have With Trees, Brush And The Like Along The Trail.
    Any Input Here Is Welcomed, No Im Not Crazy, I Just Like Having My Ax Nearby. Mother Nature Has Inspired Many A Song In Her Time. Maybe Its About Time Someone Wrote About The A-T, Or Sang About It As The Case May Be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Ganote View Post
    Anyone Out There Ever Bring Or Attempt To Bring A Guitar On A Thru? Im A Die Hard Musician And Would Really Like To Bring One Along. There Are Models Out There That Are Made Just For Backpacking, Very Lite, Streamlined Versions. I Just Wonder What Kind Of Problems I May Have With Trees, Brush And The Like Along The Trail.
    Any Input Here Is Welcomed, No Im Not Crazy, I Just Like Having My Ax Nearby. Mother Nature Has Inspired Many A Song In Her Time. Maybe Its About Time Someone Wrote About The A-T, Or Sang About It As The Case May Be.
    by all means take one. I usually always carry a Martin Backpacker. They weigh 2 lbs but the case and extra strings and some words along (might as well work while i'm out there) probably get the whole thing closer to 4 lbs.

I always used the case that it came in, but i tie a string (like a shoelace) around the top to compress it where the neck is, and then i have a special pack cover that i had made that has a sort of closed sleeve that fits right over it. Never had any problems on the AT although out west, the desert cracks the wood. Martin told me not to take it into the desert but gave me a new one when i told them it was a "Backpacker" guitar and i was hiking the CDT.

anyway, that's the model i prefer cause i think it's the lightest one out there. Not good for a part cause it's not very loud but great for yourself and keeping your skills honed. have fun.

Reading thru some of this thread, i will say that the Original post was excellent advice. I also would say you don't need all that parachute cord everybody seems to take. If you want to take some line for hanging up clothes to dry (on the AT? yeah right) go to a union construction job where they are doing brick or block work and ask for some of their line that they use for the straight line guide between rows. This is incredibly strong and lightweight string. I have used it on my tent for my tent stakes (about 4' on each with about 3 or 4 loops tied into each for options) for 3 thru hikes now without breaking any. and i have been in some very windy conditions out west.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++