WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default guitar

Hi,

I've never done it, but I know of folks who have. Takoma Tedd did, and those who got to enjoy his many impromptu concerts were glad that he did! (His Martin Backpacker guitar took a little spill -- in the the Notch in 2001, I think, but it's since been repaired and lives happily with his *new* Martin Backpacker.) Woody carried a banjo on the PCT; not sure about the AT. I've seen other guitars on trails, but can't vouch for they're having been carried for entire thru's, all.

Ready

Images

Also, how much your first aid kit is a safety and comfort issue. You can probably hike the entire trail with just a few band-aids and some moleskin. But, then again, it's real nice to have more if and when you need it. Same goes for compass, whistles, repair parts, duct tape, and maybe maps.[/quote]

Don't forget the Powerglide or Immodium!

The "blowout kit" sounds good. Where can I get one?

Images

I enjoyed reading too much to go without a book, a paperback only weighed 7 oz, and it helped me sleep. After sunset, people usually only BS'd a couple hours before climbing into their sleeping bags. There were still too many hours of darkness left for me to sleep the rest of the night. Reading a good book until 12:00, then sleeping soundly until dawn, was better then waking at 3:00 a.m. and lying awake for 3 hours.

Journal Entries

Spiderwebs and cobwebs are good. Cloth can help. Many bad wounds- gunshot wounds included- have been plugged with fingers until tourniquets could be applied.
    And, yes, tourniquets can cause the loss of a limb. Or you can bleed to death worrying about whether nor not to use one. If something turns blue, loosen it a little bit until the aforementioned area "pinks up". It ain't rocket science at that point, it ain't even medicine, it's survival.

Journal Entries

I've never even bought a groundcloth. Of course, I've only been doin this for 40 years, so maybe I've been missing out lol. Of course, I am picky where I pitch my tent and clear out the sharp stuff....

Journal Entries

Have you tried the Amazon.com Kindle? I'm thinking about getting one.

Journal Entries

No one in this thread has thus far mentioned the importance of boots to dry feet- just socks. I usually hike (in Appalachia, at least) in plain old Chuckies, same as I did 40 years ago; and one of the big reasons I do so is how rapidly they dry out.

Images

I took your advice and left the sunscreen at home, now I have skin cancer and 3 months to live...
    Okay I'm kidding but I think a little bottle of sunscreen is a good idea until you get tanned. You don't need the super family size but if you are hiking in early spring, the highlands, or spend a lot of time in the sun (heh), sunscreen is a pretty nifty thing.

Default Rain gear?

I'm curious. I never see poncho's mentioned for rain gear. Am I missing something? I have a lightweight ripstop nylon poncho. It serves a lot of purposes besides keeping the rain off. eg. a lot easier to change clothes in a poncho than inside a sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by HFinster View Post
    I'm curious. I never see poncho's mentioned for rain gear. Am I missing something? I have a lightweight ripstop nylon poncho. It serves a lot of purposes besides keeping the rain off. eg. a lot easier to change clothes in a poncho than inside a sleeping bag.
    ponchos work great. no need for that high dollar marmot stuff

Default A Big Thank You

Wow! I am hiking the AT for the first time in late March. I have been reading, planning and training in preparation. After reading this thread, I am grateful to all of you who have offered up such great information. Just wanted you to know what us newbies were thinkin'
    Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    I took your advice and left the sunscreen at home, now I have skin cancer and 3 months to live...
    Okay I'm kidding but I think a little bottle of sunscreen is a good idea until you get tanned. You don't need the super family size but if you are hiking in early spring, the highlands, or spend a lot of time in the sun (heh), sunscreen is a pretty nifty thing.
    You silly, the UV rays do damage well after you've tanned-you just don't get a sunburn! :P I know this because I have to wear sunblock very day regardless of where I am-both sides of the fam have had melanoma before, so it isn't really a risk I'd like to take. Sunglasses too, though I suspect I'll be replacing them repeatedly over the hike!

Light eyes, hair, and skin = skin cancer risk.

Also, like mentioned above, if you're bleeding out your femural or inguinal artery it isn't going to matter much if you lose the limb. You're much more concerned with living, period. While I don't know if the Quikclot for sale commercially is the same as what we have as medics, if it is, that **** is AWESOME. GET SOME. NOW. >8D Of course, I'm the one carrying about a full darn aid bag plus my backpack...lol.

Just make sure if you improvise a tourniquet that the straps are at LEAST half an inch wide! String does NOT make a good tourniquet, and I saw a guy die even after his fellow soldiers tried making one with string, wire, and a pencil. Get yourself either four or five pencils and tape 'em together, or even better a good seven or so popsicle sticks, and use that plus the straps from your compression bag or something wide rigged on the outside of your bag. You can sometimes get away with thinner straps if you put some material down first but I think it's better to just use a wider strap in the first place.

A-Train

You just reinforced my ideas about what to take on the AT. I am going to keep items at a minimum and think posting your thoughts at one of the earlier "spots" hikers always go to would be an exceptional idea.

Thanks for you help ...

Ham hiking in March 2010 NOBO

in regards to the first aid kit..

Theres a product out there called Coban - its a stretchy roll of "tape" that adheres only to itself. It's useful in that when wrapped around something (i.e. a limb, finger, head) it will act as a pressure dressing without cutting circulation. It can also be used to secure a "splint" if needed. Tops is that it is VERY lightweight, comes on a roll in different sizes, doesn't require tape. Its in my kit and I use it at work daily...

just my nurse two cents...

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I may start referring to my cellphone as my "pet rock"

Awesome post! I will be heading out from Springer in early April, and while I have some backpacking experience it has been nothing like what I will encounter on this trip. I have been doing quite a bit of research, and while my initial estimate of a pack was about 50 lbs I now hope to pare that down to about 35lbs. I definitely agree with the point of view about the pack towels and ground cloth, but I will be bringing that cup for coffee

Anyway, my thanks as a newbie for your thoughts.

Default "Blowout Kit"

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Tourniquets have the possibility of killing whatever limb you put them on, plus the person using them needs to know how to use it (i.e. loosening it every 15 minutes). What you need is a "blowout kit", similar to what is used by soldiers to treat gunshot wounds. They contain a clotting agent which will make a massive wound clot up within a minute or two.

The Much less advertised part of those kits is that the "QUICKCLOT" agent that is used actually burns the wound closed, and it is almost ALWAYS required to amputate the limb that has had the "QUICKCLOT" applied to it. There are many warnings about getting it in your eyes, as it causes blindness, and if you have small open wounds when appliying it, you will find it burns like the dickens.

I am an active duty airman with almost 1000 days in the desert during operations over the last 15 years. We have annual training on the medical gear, and I am also a volunteer ski patroller with a great deal of experience with all the medical gear we have floating around in Europe.

Direct pressure is the way to go. If that does not work, then direct pressure and pressure points. After that comes the drastic steps of tourniquet/"QUICKCLOT" which results in limb loss.

All that being said, if that's what it takes, Stop the bleeding! Dead vs no leg... seems like a no brainer to me.

>Take only memories, Leave only footprints<
    Celticbound

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frmrnyker View Post
    in regards to the first aid kit..

Theres a product out there called Coban - its a stretchy roll of "tape" that adheres only to itself. It's useful in that when wrapped around something (i.e. a limb, finger, head) it will act as a pressure dressing without cutting circulation. It can also be used to secure a "splint" if needed. Tops is that it is VERY lightweight, comes on a roll in different sizes, doesn't require tape. Its in my kit and I use it at work daily...

just my nurse two cents...
    This may be wrong but several years ago the only place you could find this wrap was at pet supply stores
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Images

Saw Coban equivalent last summer. Some funky name like "self adhesive bandage." Might have been Rite Aid.

Good stuff.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++