WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dinner for breakfast

Since most people eat backwards in the real world (small breakfast, big dinner) is it any wonder that they do it while hiking? I'm guilty of it myself. Wanting to get out on the trail quick I have been eating quick meals for breakfast - oatmeal usually, maybe hot chocolate/coffee - and then snacking while walking once I start feeling hungry. I would never do this in "the real world" as I burn through my calories too quick. Why do this when I am hiking? Makes no sense at all! Next time I go out I am going to eat dinner for breakfast and save my lightweight breakfast for dinner.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I eat a pretty decent size breakfast on the trail, but it can make me feel sluggish sometimes. But I try to not scimp on dinner either, your body needs that fuel to help heal from the day. But it really is better to stick to your own routine, Some poeple do better with different diets than others. Heck, I just love to eat!
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Images

I don't eat a big breakfast on the trail - start off with a Powerbar or something and eat something at least every hour throughout the day and then a decent dinner to help recover during the night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Since most people eat backwards in the real world (small breakfast, big dinner)
    how is this backwards? by who's standards?
    i eat 5 meals on the trail a day. 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6. i like to spread it out.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    how is this backwards? by who's standards?
    i eat 5 meals on the trail a day. 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6. i like to spread it out.
    I'd like to know too kayak karl. It may be part of the lacto-ovo-macrobiotic-raw vegan- vegetarianism conspiracy.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If conditions work out, I love to break camp quickly and prepare breakfast at a viewpoint within the hour.

I typically eat a moderate sized breakfast (1-2 packets of oatmeal, bagel chips, power bar) which seems to be sufficient to keep me going for much of the morning, augmented by treats along the way. However, out of Wise Shelter I ate a huge portion of dried "breakfast couscous" that I could feel powering me all morning through Grayson Highlands.

I've also learned to eat a large late-afternoon "dinner" that can power me for another 7-10 miles in the summer.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

if i had dinner for breakfast i would have to take a nap before i started.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

When I was a thru-hiker, I could have eaten a whole thanksgiving dinner for every meal all by myself. Instead, I'm pretty sure my meals were all pretty close to the same size, except I did have dessert sometimes.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

++ New Posts ++