WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Migraine hikers

Default Migraines

Try Zomig...it works better and you don't get the "fuzzies" (at least that's my experience....)....I get migraines from allergies, lack of sleep and stress (no wonder I gave up law enforcement)....Sometimes if you can get caffeine in you quick ( a coke or strong coffee) you might be able to knock a minor one out but if it takes hold....grab the Zomig.....

Good luck!

Miss Daisy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Daisy
    Try Zomig...it works better and you don't get the "fuzzies."
    Zomig works really well if you use it fast. Sometimes, however, it'll make me antsy, speed up my heart, etc. Kind of like an adrenaline reaction.
    Just hike.

Cool Magic Mushrooms

Shrooms Frank, shrooms.

One gram (dry) as the intial dose, and another a week later. But first you need to detox off those nasty pharmaceudicals.

The Theory of Hallucinogens as a Treatment for Cluster Headaches

The hallucinogenic substances are close enough to serotonin in structure that they fool serotonin receptors into bonding with them. This is a known factual property of these drugs. There may be an element of how the individuals body responds. In some cases, LSD has worked as a treatment where mushrooms have failed and vice versa. There may also be a factor of previous drug history, such as use of triptans, methysergide and ergotamine.

Nobody knows the exact mechanism for episodic cluster headaches (chronics are actually easier to comprehend). It may be that a chemical imbalance or erratic release of neurotransmitters slowly takes place in the brain. Over a period of time this reaches a threshold whereby it begins to cause headaches. The headaches gradually become more painful and more frequent until a peak is reached. From that point they subside as the imbalance or erratic release is addressed. The headaches may even be the mechanism to facilitate this, however this is unlikely as it does nothing to explain the existence of chronics.

The hallucinogens may shock the body into resetting this imbalance or erratic release ahead of schedule. The favourite analogy is that of an old tube radio slowly drifting off station that periodically requires a sharp whack on the side to keep it in check. -----

More info

Images

Hi Rock, my husband is also a migraine-sufferer and I would like to second the recommendation for Aleve. He finds, as do you, that the prescription drugs knock him right out (that is if they work at all) but has had terrific success with the Aleve. He also finds that he needs to shield his eyes from light more than the average person; apparently an excess of light (or noise) can bring the headaches on as well. I don't know if you consistently wear sunglasses or a brimmed hat on the trail but this may help also.

Best of luck to you,

Jane in CT

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    ============================================
    Hey Rock ...not sure how you determine the above but just know that most of us (hikers or not) are "behind" when it comes to hydration. If we don't take in enough water our body robs it from our cells. You can have "clear & copius" urine and still be clinically dehydrated. Alcohol requires water in order to be metabolized. So, chance are that when you had a beer or two or a couple shots of hootch you actually were in a "sub clinical" state of dehydration. 'Slogger
    AT 2003
    Actually this is wrong according to recent studies , I quote the Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate” (2004),Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine panel report.

"Most healthy individuals can maintain adequate hydration by letting thirst be their guide.......Prolonged exercise and heat exposure increase water loss, and therefore may raise daily fluid needs...

and for you prohibitionists out there....

Despite concerns that caffeine and alcohol have a diuretic effect, the report said beverages such as coffee, tea, and alcohol can count towards daily fluid intake. The panel said that the diuretic effect “may be transient in nature” and that there is no convincing evidence that it leads to cumulative total body water deficits.

also regarding the Myth of Clear Copious urine.(for healthy folks means excessively frequent and inconvenient). The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and Institute of Medicine (IOM) say about urine color......

The report also makes mention of active people avoiding excessive fluid consumption which may, in the extreme, result in hyponatremia. While hyponatremia is a rare occurrence, it is a dangerous condition that may arise when athletes drink too much water, diluting the body’s sodium levels. It is most often seen in prolonged endurance athletes, such as those participating in marathons and triathlons........Water and sports drinks are not dangerous to athletes when consumed as recommended – in volumes approximating sweat losses........Your best bet is to monitor urine color and frequency of urination. Pale yellow urine is a good sign that plenty of fluid is on board for waste excretion. (But don't judge your urine color within a few hours after taking vitamin supplements, since the unused vitamins, particularly the B vitamin riboflavin, turn your urine a bright yellow.

there is tons and tons of new evidence that the articles in "Outside" magazine and "Mens Health and Fitness" are wrong and the makers of Gatorade , Powerade that advertise in these magazines don't want you to know. Theres tons of studies that debunk the pissing clear myth and that alcohol and caffiene in moderation are dieuretics. so If you are pissing clear then YOU should get a blood test , a Sodium Serum Level to be specific. do a search on Hyponutriema if you don't believe me yet.

Triathletes and marathoners , and Ultramarathoners are dropping dead every year from over hydration/hyponutriemia. plenty of them after having run alot less miles than a strong hiker on the AT will hike during a day.

Images

I found the drug I need today- Progenitorivox: http://www.jibjab.com/167.html

The warning label is a hoot:

Progenitorivox is not available, anywhere. Offer void in Wisconsin. Any resemblance to actual drugs, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Any unauthorized use of your judgment in the application of Progenitorivox is strictly prohibited. Progenitorivox may not be reproduced without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball. Progenitorivox may cause drowsiness or restlessness in lab animals. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery without consulting your physician. For erections lasting longer than four hours, insert your own joke here. If you experience psychotic episodes, you’re crazy. If death occurs, discontinue use of Progenitorivox immediately. If symptoms persist, consult your physician. All sales final. Batteries not included.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 07-20-2005 at 21:44.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I have gotten migraines since I was 12 - no rhyme or reason -just a feeling like someone is driving a stake into the right side of my brain. On many occasions I actually lose all vision in my right eye. I get all the accompying symptoms of nausea, sensitivity to light & noise, etc.

I have had tests out the whazzooo to determine the cause - so far its not a tumor, nor any other physical problem within the brain that they can find. Its not allergies, its not food sensitivity. So we are all clueless. I just get'em and they knock me on my can for a day or so.

I've tried many different prescription meds nothing really helps. Most of the over-the-counter stuff doesn't do anything. The only thing that gets rid of them (or at least lessens them to the point I can at least function) is Excedrin. I'm getting really good at sensing when a migraine is coming on and will take my 4 Excedrin immediately to ward it off. Really bad ones require a lot of Exedrin and a lot of sleep.

So in my pack will be a bottle of "Vitamin X" instead of "Vitamin I" lol
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've read all these posts with interest because I get full-blown nasty migraines. I can tell you 3 things that, when all are in alignment, will virtually guarantee a migraine for me: lack of good sleep, moderate dehydration, and lack of exercise.

I've had these damn headaches for 23 years. I ran competitively in high school, college, and thereafter. If I took time off from running, was overtired and dehydrated well look out....

Now I cycle competitively and if I'm off the bike for several days AND am overtired and dehydrated, well guess what.....

I've tried everything from beta-blockers and cafergot (alleged silver bullets in the early 80's) to Imitrex. None of these drugs were/are very satisfying. Fortunately as I get older the severity and duration of pain has decreased, and the bottom line is if I take care of my body it doesn't retaliate against me with a blasting headache.

How does this relate to my experience on the trail? Out there I'm always well hydrated, even (and especially) in the summer. I sleep well in the woods, too, and as far as the exercise aspect...well....that's a done deal.

After a lifetime of experiencing migrains my doctor and I have attributed many of them to abrupt changes in the barometric pressure. I have medication that I take at the onset of the headaches. This has been a concern to me also for my 08' hike. I have gotten migrains from dehydration, so I pay close attention to that.
    Zeke

I also suffer from terrible migraines that sometimes get worse with certain kinds of exercise. I've found that anything that puts strain or pressure on my neck and shoulders tends to bring them on...so maybe it could be from the way you carry your pack or your posture when you hike that could be contributing? I also get them just before my monthly cycle ends, after earing certain foods, and sometimes for no reason that I can pinpoint. Interestingly enough, they also often seem to hit after stress when I'm finally relaxed than while the stress is occurring.
    I haven't heard anyone mention Midrin (generic name Amidrine)..my doctor prescribed them for my migraines a few months ago because he feels that they are much safer than the newer class of drugs like Imitrex. (They're also cheaper.) I've found them to work quite well.
    Mindi

I'd like to pick up this thread again, if anyone is interested. I've had chronic migraines most of my life and have used (and still use) various triptans and just had my first botox treatment. I've let this impediment prevent me from thinking more seriously about potentially thru-hiking the AT, possible this coming spring. The stress of my job is a huge contributing factor and I think it might be time to drop it a while and drop out for six months or so. Has anyone lately tried doing the trail with migraines? I realize it might take a bit longer.

Right now, I'm thinking of starting in Harper's Ferry in early my, head north, and then decide whether to move up from Georgia up to WV or vice versa. Suggestions or experiences of others who have done this? I'm well aware of my "triggers" and plan to stay well nourished and well hydrated. Tenting is going to be my option as there is nothing worse than sharing space with others (noise, smoke, etc) to make a bad headache worse. Thanks! (No trail name yet, but I'm thinking of "Imitrex" ! Jim (in Durham, NC)

Journal Entries
    Images

I have been having migraines about 2 times every year, and this past month & a half was really bad with 4 episodes. The first two times I had to see a doc to get a Toradol lshot, but the 3rd time they prescribed me Fioricet, and the 4th time they precribed Maxalt. I'm supposed to take the Maxalt AS SOON as I feel a headache coming on, Tylenol, Excedrin won't cut it.

Having said that, I'm glad I never got one on the trail- that would be an immediate hike ender, period. As in, take the meds, wait a couple hours, and hitch a ride out kind of bad. It'll start out as a benign headache that only gets worse as the day goes on, then it turns to a stabbing & skull crushing pain with bouts of nausea and extreme light sensitivity like turn all the lights off in the house during the day and STILL needing to wear sunglasses.

My doc thinks it could be related to bouts of high blood pressure (or vice versa), which could be linked to stress, which is probably why I feel 100% healthier out on the trail and have LESS problems than I do at home.
    Last edited by JumpMaster Blaster; 08-04-2015 at 19:54.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

My migraines are now down to about one a week from 15 a month (thanks to my wonderful new neurologist.) Having said that, I've never had a migraine in the trail. I think just the activity of hiking relaxes me, let's the pressures roll of my shoulders and refreshes me.

I love the trail name Imitrex, though mine would have to be "Zomig"!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Top, Did you have them on active duty? Might be a form of PTSD that just manifests itself when in crowds and out of the bush.
    Not surprised they leave when you hike. Good luck finding the key. Your a Rock and will hopefully sooner rather than later.

I, too, am a migraneur, usually having four to six a month. Yet I have never had one on the trail. I carry my Zomig nasal spray with me in case I do, but so far I have never needed it while hiking.

Maybe I should just stay on the trail!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++