WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries

WHATEVER. I've wandered trails since the age of 13 or so. If anything hikers are safer now than they ever were. I.E. I could always find an escape when I got in over my head. I'm not confident, I could do the same, though, these 'these days.

Mchales navy
    Journal Entries

Default Son robbed

I have been so interested in reading the responses of the robbery. No, this is not a BS story. I am a 50 year old mom who loves a great hike herself and allowed her 17 year old to go on the AT alone. He went alone because his friends parents said their children were too young to go. My son spent all saved money from working, etc on his equipment... Stove, knief, water purifier stick, etc. He hiked from Hughs gap to roan mt shelter. There were two men there . The 35 year old just had a blanket and that was it. He kept asking my son how much his items cost, etc. My son did say that he became a little cautious of him because of all the questions. The other guy was in his 60's. He was a very friendly guy to my son, etc. The next morning , the 60 yr old went to go to the bathroom , so to speak, and my son for water. When both returned ..the other mans walking sticks were stolen along with my sons stuff. The 60 year broke down crying because they were sentimental to him. My sons stove, knief, some food, water system purifier were gone. The thief was selective. My son walked to visitor center and used someones cell to call me. We reported to police. Others witnessed a creepy guy leaving the same shelter. I meet my son and was happy that he was ok. Equipment can be replaced. He asked to continue if he could and went to nearest big town( Jackson city?) to replace stuff. He got back on trail and along came our golden retriever with him who happened to be with me. It turned out to be a great trip for him and lots if life lessons learned. Thanks for support and advice. His mom

The fact that he wanted to get back out there says it all.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The fact that he wanted to get back out there says it all.
    Between you witty replies and your great tagline you're fast becoming my hero.

<I'm not being sarcastic >

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I looked up the OP, he's like never posted onWB - so, maybe he is a Dad that foundthis forum for the 1st time or maybe he's a Troll but whatpossible motivation would someone havein making up a story like this? - it just gets everyone antsy.
    Nothing really wrong with being a "Dad" that found this forum! Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mchales navy View Post
    My sons stove, knief, some food, water system purifier were gone. The thief was selective.
    Okay, thanks for giving more details of the incident, I can now see how this happened. Having the stove, some food, water filter and a knife taken is a lot different than having ALL his camping gear taken as you first reported. When you said all the gear was gone, we all assumed someone walked off with his fully loaded pack. Having your full pack stolen while in the woods is a really big deal, as that can be life threating. Having some food and a stove taken, while being a PITA, is not so big a deal and more easialy forgiven.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Bears stole the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    Bears stole the stuff.
    Snakes took it from the bears.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    Bears stole the stuff.
    If all that stuff was in one bag and being food related, then a bear (or other critter like a raccon) could very well have walked off with it. We are quick to blame 2 legged critters when something goes missing, when most often a four legged critter is the real thief.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If all that stuff was in one bag and being food related, then a bear (or other critter like a raccon) could very well have walked off with it. We are quick to blame 2 legged critters when something goes missing, when most often a four legged critter is the real thief.
    I doubt a bear also took the other guy's favorite hiking poles.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Yeah, but they were really good hiking poles!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Might be and older bear with bad knees..........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Stinks! I remain hyper-paranoid, rarely leave my gear out of sight, when hiking steep downs will leave my pack, sometimes, halfway down on the side, in Kent, CT talked to the food store manager as he continued to tell me to leave my pack outside, NO!

......but with full disclosure, I am from Philly

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Stinks! I remain hyper-paranoid, rarely leave my gear out of sight, when hiking steep downs will leave my pack, sometimes, halfway down on the side, in Kent, CT talked to the food store manager as he continued to tell me to leave my pack outside, NO!

......but with full disclosure, I am from Philly
    And I am from a small town in Maine -- in the 19th century in the age of sailing ships -- an industrial town. For decades after the loss of that shipbuilding industry, we were among the poorest towns in Maine. Even today, thanks to the cleanup of our coastal rivers, that has made us among the richest communities of southern and midcoast Maine thanks to an influx of newcomers, we have pockets of extreme poverty. But I still leave my home and car unlocked. So far without serious consequences.

I grew up in Gardiner. Maine has always been financially challenged, or at least since I was there. They shut down the shoe and paper mills in the 70's and 80's and that hurt the whole state.

Images

[QUOTE=Papa D;1177584]I hear what you say Weary - most thieves worth their salt would not consider the Appalachian Trail a good place to "ply their trade" - those "professional thieves" go for high value things like ladies purses at nice hotel pools or jewelry or whatnot. The real deal is that the AT is a rural place for the most part where "our hiking community" - serious backpackers that is are "outsiders." The people who live in rural areas have been largely disenfranchised due to education and jobs being moved to bigger cities - usually, unfortunately, along with the smarter members of their community. Therefore, there is a small contingent of less than smart "locals" in these rural areas that hang-out and sometimes "party" at shelters or near roads that the trail crosses. These are what one might consider an "opportunistic redneck thief" - he or she is a poorly educated local dumb-dumb with a few beers in them maybe. They see the pack and just grab it hoping for some quick cash for its contents - maybe they are not really a "bad person" - just someone in a bad situation. This situation is a sad fact of the trail and of course we need to have our radar up at all times for these sorts of characters. Avoiding shelters within one mile of roads is always a good practice, if possible.[/QUOTE

Oh please Papa D. Do you really believe that because they are poor and non educated that they are more prone to being a thief than a person from a family that never wanted for anything and has an education? You made a remark "Just someone in a bad situation", what are you saying, this is their get out of jail card and they are not responsible for their actions because of their situation? I don't mean to question your logic but I have to think back to my father, who was a small town banker, and he told me the first day that I worked at the bank during my summers home from college, that if you steal .01 cent or a million dollars that "you are what your are, and that is a thief.

When I used to backpack around college in Eastern Kentucky, i.e., Morehead State Univeristy in Morehead, KY, I used to run into the local people all of the time on my trips. As a person told me one day when I came upon their small farm and stopped by to say hi, that if you are hungry just say so and I will feed you, but if you steal from me, I'd just as soon kill you because of it. I have always remembered that and believe it myself.

A 17 year old made a mistake of getting to far away from his pack and he got robbed. It could happen to anyone but the fact is that his stuff was stolen by a thief and to say that it might be due to a lack of education or being poor is an excuse to not call a spade a spade.
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

It is a shame it happens but over the past few years I have been more cautious but still hike alone most of the time. I agree that in general the hiking community is a very good group of peolple but these things do occur. Hope everything worked out.

@ OP: Like everyone, I agree this kind of opportunistic theft is a rare event on the trail. Too bad it happened, and sounds like your son took it in stride and kept it in perspective. Good for him, and you.

90-something % of the folks on any trail are fine, and many of those are better than fine...as we all know.

Sorry to hear of this young man's mishap. It is unfortunate...especially when there are so many great people on the trail and also those willing to help hikers.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I was hitch hiking cross country and camping in Canada when I was 17.
    me too, an' hitchin' 'round europe at 18

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++