WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: The Place

Images

Default The Place

Just had to post this as a warning for anyone staying at The Place in Damascus: For the love of Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and everything holy, PLEASE do not think that you can bring alcohol there, or break any other of the rules including sleeping on the couch (a rule that has been broken a lot recently). Lone Wolf does patrol it every day, even at random times throughout the night and you will be asked to leave. I don't know why people seem so surprised and get hostile when they're busted for breaking the rules. There are signs EVERYWHERE espousing the rules. It's private property---the church can run it however they see fit. If recent events are any indication, I don't see The Place lasting too much longer. I am sick of people thinking that the rules somehow do not apply to them. You aren't the first one to hike the trail (or ride the TransAm trail) and you won't be the last. GET OVER YOURSELF!!!
    Gypsy
    (Sorry, had to vent that. I'm hardly ever on here, but dang...I'm tired of these aholes making LW out to be the bad guy here.)
    Dancin' Queen

It's probably not busy enough but in season (or if it's busy now), The Place should jack up the price and hire a caretaker. It's a shame LW has to be the bad guy helping out for free. Is there a place in Damascus for a responsible drinker to have a beer outside a bar?

(I'd probably sleep on the couch too. habit)

Images

I agree Sly. I keep saying they should also get rid of the couch all together--temptation gone.
    Dancin' Queen

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    It's probably not busy enough but in season (or if it's busy now), The Place should jack up the price and hire a caretaker. It's a shame LW has to be the bad guy helping out for free. Is there a place in Damascus for a responsible drinker to have a beer outside a bar?

There are no bars in Virginia and public consumption is generally illegal.

And why does it seem so hard for some folks to behave like guests?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

And unfortunately, no... I don't believe there is a place to have a beer outside of a bar. But, a smart person would at least try to be discrete about it if they chose to imbibe. I know that sounds contradictory, but hey, if you're gonna do it don't put yourself in the position to get caught and then bitch about it when you do. Actually, I guess one could go sit under the bridge in town. But once again, you're taking a chance there too.
    Dancin' Queen

you may consume alcohol at several B&Bs and at the Hikers Inn plus a dozen other vacation rentals in town.

there's a big sign above the couch: NO SLEEPING OR LYING ON COUCH

hikers are just

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    There are no bars in Virginia and public consumption is generally illegal.

And why does it seem so hard for some folks to behave like guests?
    I'd call Dot's a bar, the other places in town that serve beer, restaurants.

Sorry, I can't tell you why people act like they do. As editor for the Companion some want me to add more to the book about hiker behavior. It's already covered somewhat, but bottom line it's a trail guide. If someone is going to act out of hand, especially if they've been drinking, no words are going to stop them. I'm I honestly think peer pressure works best. Problem is many are too timid to speak up.

thanks lone wolf for watching out for the place
    sorry you have to deal with so many dumbass's

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    thanks lone wolf for watching out for the place
    sorry you have to deal with so many dumbass's
    Ditto that.
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

Images

Problem is many are too timid to speak up.
    I'm not too timid. But will observe that even on WB, speaking up about abuse will get you trounced pretty good sometimes, be it alcohol, dogs, guns, whatever.

Nevertheless, I agree with you. Peer pressure is where it's at.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Stir Fry

I think people think that its ok to break the rules. When some one confrunts them they act like "Oh I'm sorry I'll stop."
    Its kind of the culture we are in.
    I'd bet that over half the people that I charge with Shoplifting say I'll pay for it if you don't charge me. I have told some, "Give me the cash and I'll talk to the business owner". Then they say " Well I don't have it with me now".
    Rain Man is right peer pressure would prevent most of it. But peers say it dont bother me. When I was young peers would call you down in a heart beat.

Hash House Harrier

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    I think people think that its ok to break the rules. When some one confronts them they act like "Oh I'm sorry I'll stop."
    Its kind of the culture we are in.
    Too right. People have mostly lost touch with the fact that to honestly say "I'm sorry" also implies "...and I won't do it again."
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

Default Replace the couch and chairs with a LOG and stumps

Replace the couch and chairs with a LOG and stumps. Make them feel really at home. I never stayed at "the place", but came thru just to check it out and to read messages. It's a shame that some hikers act as if they are all deserving and appear so selfish. Most of them are just spoiled brats. My thanks to the Damascus church members who support things like "the place" and all they do for the hiking community that actually appreciate and respect those things.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

What is the reasoning for not letting hikers lie on the couch?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Probably because it's not a bed?

Images

And maybe so others can share the couch too...
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

because it's not a bed? and hiker's sleeping bags and clothes stink like **** and hikers like to sit on the couch and read or look over maps? hard to do when some slob is hogging the couch for days on end. hence the 2 nite stay limit. and finally it'
    s a rule and if you don't like it find another place to stay

++ New Posts ++