WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Suspect hiker

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Stolen valor

I have no patience for people that claim to have "passed the bar" or "back in the day I was...." nothing has changed in 50 years .. My grandfather served in WW1 and 2 and he NEVER discussed it. He wasn't a fan of his medals - he was far more interested in his remaining friends in the forces. His deeds spoke mountains - His silence spoke even more. His one quotable quote was...

I served so you should not have to.

that's not right --- hold on I gotta call my dad --- I will edit and clear this up...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I looked at http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...do?index=index to see how Mr. Gardner's case went, and what he was actually charged with. Partnership shelter is located in Smyth County, Va. He was charged with being intoxicated in public and was realeased on his own recognizance the next day, which is the normal course of events. The case was dismissed in June, which would also be the normal course with a person who is a transient, hiker or anyone else just passing through.

His name in the court papers was listed as Clayton Howard Gardner III. I google just about everything and googled his name without the "III". I found what appears to be his Dad's obit. I found the following two articles as well. I don't know it they are about the person we are discussing in this thread, but the name and age fit. Lots of drama in his life if it's him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07163/793444-100.stm

http://howtocleanseyourbody.com/howt...-mess-remains/

I guess I've got way too much time on my hands. LOL
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I looked at http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g...do?index=index to see how Mr. Gardner's case went, and what he was actually charged with. Partnership shelter is located in Smyth County, Va. He was charged with being intoxicated in public and was realeased on his own recognizance the next day, which is the normal course of events. The case was dismissed in June, which would also be the normal course with a person who is a transient, hiker or anyone else just passing through.

His name in the court papers was listed as Clayton Howard Gardner III. I google just about everything and googled his name without the "III". I found what appears to be his Dad's obit. I found the following two articles as well. I don't know it they are about the person we are discussing in this thread, but the name and age fit. Lots of drama in his life if it's him.

Here is the criminal case from Pennsylvania

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0000142-2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    To whomever is pissed that we're speculating . . . .

Get over it.

This is the internet, not a real-life police-based witch hunt. This is the not the equivalent of, "Shoot first and ask questions later."

We can say whatever we like, we can discuss whatever we like, and if it turns out that this Papa Smurf/Teardrop DID kill poor Mr. Lilly, then guess what? At least we gathered our evidence together to figure out what potentially happened and presented it to the proper authorities (or at least I'm guessing some of us have).

And if he didn't? He's still an unstable man known to be aggressive, confrontational and unsafe, and people should be aware of that! Geez, didn't ya'll ever hear, "Better safe than sorry"?
    FWIW, I've been on the other end of this, be it years ago.

A website that shall not be named, where users specifically think they can solve crimes via Google, had a group of users that got it into their heads I was involved in the Meredith Emerson disappearance and murder in 2008. Of course I wasn't, but these people thought that they had a hot lead for various BS reasons, and could not be convinced otherwise. Any attempt by WB members to go over there and tell them they were barking up the wrong tree only convinced them more that I must be in on it. Apparently one of them even reported me to the GBI, although I didn't find out about it until weeks later. It took the right people contacting the website owners to get the BS taken down and an apology issued. Luckily the GBI (if they ever really did get contacted) didn't take the internet Hardy Boys seriously - if they did I would have had good grounds for a lawsuit against those users. I say this to caution people about taking speculation too far. Papa Smurf may be wanted for questioning only because he was around at the time, it doesn't mean he had anything to do with the death.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post

Yes and No yes you did us a service by having time on your hands...No this didnt help me not be freaked out by him even more. Walk lowly into the woods holding knife in hand...yeah holding it in the chest is new I guess. This guy has to be taken off trail sooner than later...without vanishing into the fall leaves. SO if anyone sees anything say something...dont ignore it Mr.

Mr. Lilly was somes son brother perhaps uncle cousin and above all he was family to us on A.T and sadly...we let him down every day this guy goes on the loose. No I dont know whether Papa Smurf was involved because the feds are keeping their cards...close to their chest for reason. But were doing a misjustice by perhaps letting this go on further...whos next is my concern and worry. God Bless Mr. Lilly I never knew you and life but am proud to call you a Brother of the Trail.

Default Be cautious

I stumbled onto this thread and registered just so that I could reply and offer information. I hope I am not offending or abusing any rules with my comments.

IF the man you have met is actually Clayton H. Gardner, III, now age 61, (from the pics I've seen, I believe it is) he is extremely dangerous. If he has razor blade scars inside both wrists and on his neck (self inflicted), a vertical scar on his stomach (also self inflicted), and a black fly tattoo on his right shoulder blade, it is him. He was briefly my stepfather in the late 70s, and terrorized me and my mother for several years. I have not seen him since we last put him in jail back then (grand larceny), and hope that I never do. I do random internet searches on his name just to see if he is still alive and where he might be. He is my personal boogeyman.

He is originally from the NY/PA border. He is a Vietnam vet, but he was disturbed before he served. He was arrested prior to the war several times for assault. The service is supposedly where he learned his survival skills, and he
    was an avid camper and fisherman. He has a long arrest record. He was on parole from Onondaga County when we met him (outside his parole area). One of the many times we had him arrested he was taken to the mental ward of Strong Memorial Hospital where he was diagnosed as a sociopath. He fits the definition exactly. He does tell stories, and it can be hard to tell the truth from lies. He is a master liar and manipulator. When we knew him he used war stories as a way of showing off or to gain sympathy, depending on his audience and what he was trying to achieve. He did not hold a job. He smoked non-filter cigarettes and pot. He drank but was scary whether drunk or sober.

I have many horror stories of the years this man was in our lives, but they don't need to be broadcasted here. The information I have given is to show that I did know this man and how dangerous he could be. My intention is to warn any and all to please be cautious around him. He is intelligent and knows right from wrong, he just doesn't care. He has assaulted before, both himself and others, and I witnessed both more than once. I have personally known him to threaten to kill and rape, but only know for a fact about assault. He says and does things for affect, and since there is no easy way to tell if he's just trying to get a reaction or if he will actually do what he is saying, be safe and assume the worst.

http://arrestcourtinfo.com/Criminal-...AYTON-GARDNER/

Hi there,
    have you heard anything more on this guy??
    thanks

Wendell Neal
    Pittsfield MA

Creeps me out... and I'm a Marine. I'm planning my SOBO in June, and I believe I will invest in a can of bear-spray... with little reason to believe that I would need it against the bears.

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

This whole thing has got me scared now.

God bless Mr. Lilly and his friends and family.
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    Creeps me out... and I'm a Marine. I'm planning my SOBO in June, and I believe I will invest in a can of bear-spray... with little reason to believe that I would need it against the bears.
    Same here (on both counts), I'll see you in Maine.
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

Don't be scared, just be smart. Check the thread, know what he looks like, and avoid him. Whether or not he had anything to do with the guys death, he seems super shadey. Some sort of personal protection is just a good idea anyway, ie trekking poles, bear spray, a pocket knife (I'll have all 3). Hope to see ya out there!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I met Teardrop on my first night of my thru-hike this year and mentioned him in my trail journal. He had a teardrop tattoo near his right eye.
    The original, prison-originated meaning of those tats was a man killed. Like notching the handles of a revolver.

Default this is the guy

met him at low gap in Georgia last spring. I knew at the time he was wierd.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72308-Strange-guy-at-Low-Gap&highlight=strange+guy+at+low+gap

Images

I just read today that there is a bill in congress making it a Federal Crime to tell people you earned military citations when it is not true. Ask your congressman to vote for it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I just read today that there is a bill in congress making it a Federal Crime to tell people you earned military citations when it is not true. Ask your congressman to vote for it.
    And how does it get enforced in the woods?

Journal Entries

Seriously?
    It's a good thing we don't have any real problems, and they don't have any real work to do, like passing a budget or anything...
    Good thing we ahve a lot of excess cops sitting around with nothing better to do.
    And a lot of extra prison space.
    Yeah, that's a great idea.
    Maybe they can make it a crime to tell a girl you're in Med school, too.....
    I'd campaign against anyone who voted for that (and, yes I'm a vet...)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    My mistake, it's a Supreme Court case, deciding whether it's legal to lie about having citations.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Deleted my own post, TD55 and WOO are right, this thread has run it's course and it's time for it to be closed.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-20-2012 at 16:53.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++