WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    who is this OP anyway - are we really advising someone that is going to be hiking about how to shave or just talking some sh%t?
    Like he said, he's looking for alternatives to a can of shaving cream. No need to go off on him. I thought Mr. Toad's suggestion of using cooking oil was a good idea - one of those dual use things the 2,000 milers always talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    I can not understand why anyone would give a rats ass about shaving. It actually presents a higher risk of infection and can take you off the trail.
    Even when I went to Mountain Warfare school in Bridgeport, Ca (USMC) we were discouraged from shaving.
    Whatever helps you enjoy your hike! Smiles MEGA 2007, an OIF veteran, shaved almost every day. Chris Miller GAME 2011 seems to keep shaved every day. Beards are beautiful, too! Rusty Bumper 2011 has the coolest beard I ever saw. But beards don't make better thru-hikers, nor does a lack of beard. Ask the women about this.

And going off trail because of a shaving cut? That would be a first.

Images

Never shave on the trail. Only very occasionally trim when on an extended hike. Beards are great.

Though it seems the majority of guys don't shave (or at least don't shave the beard completely off), the statement that no LD hikers do is completely wrong. I hiked the PCT around several that were clean shaven. The guys with the Charles Manson beards tended to be the younger crowd while us middle aged guys were more likely to be cleaned shaved and the older guys tended to keep short beards. I'm sure that was just a coincidence rather then some norm as my sampling size is pretty small. The very idea of a heavy beard on my face on a hot day while exercising makes me shudder, but to each their own. I shaved whenever I got into town and usually just used soap and a single blade razer (though they tend to cut me more then mutliblade ones). I'll likely do the same on the AT next year. Soap works well enough so no need for shaving cream unless you have an extremely sensitive face. Otherwise go for the tiny travel size ones. http://www.minimus.biz sells tiny travel size of almost everything.

Thumbs up Try a balanced approach...

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Never shave on the trail. Only very occasionally trim when on an extended hike. Beards are great.
    Colin Fletcher would have agreed with you. I think he said something along the lines that "shaving was a barbaric practice." Let it grow and see what develops! But try to not let it get out of hand...see second image!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I shave with a range of beard trimmers surprise. Gets a big hurry, which would be after a day or two with a knife. It is much cheaper, a beard trimmer $ 20 probably will last 3-4 years with constant use.

Images

The only thing I hate more than shaving is facial hair. If I could afford it I would have the laser hair removal on my whole face and never shave again. When I'm camping I typically use hot water and soap, with a disposable. It doesn't have to be perfect. I shave by feel in the shower normally, so I don't need a mirror. I can't imagine growing a beard hiking, ugh.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Disposable razor, compass mirror, and hiker's biodegradable soap work fine for me, though I usually don't shave unless I'm out for over 5 days. I'm not one of those hairy types.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I want to look like my hero, Lone Wolf, when I get done.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Well some of us shave
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Old wise one,that...in context was some very funny S___.Ok so it took three weeks of hard lookin' to find just the right piece.How long will it take Chin for a reply?Old wise owl...the smartest man in the room.

Images

Have beard. Will Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Old wise one,that...in context was some very funny S___.Ok so it took three weeks of hard lookin' to find just the right piece.How long will it take Chin for a reply?Old wise owl...the smartest man in the room.
    OK, I think I am lost. I need a hint.

Chin where ya been?clearly,CLEARLYmy bad,ya know I read the thread and somethin' just went Bugah!

i don't bother shaving when hiking. It's not worth the hasal.

Journal Entries
    Images

Too funny - found that by accident while looking for something else...

Woo

Another option is... a soap with clay in it to make the razor slide.. put soap on the razor and your face. If you know your face, you don't need a mirror. Here's a soap for everything, made for hiking. http://www.etsy.com/shop/BettyandBobos?ref=ss_profile

I shave regularly and haven't used shaving cream or mirrors for years. A little soap and water creates sufficient lubricant.Use your fingers to feel your progress or missed spots. I've even shaved with just water....no soap with no problems. I can't ever recall cutting myself....usually shave while showering. I too hate facial hair....on my face. For a thru hike....much easier to grow a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    I too hate facial hair....on my face.
    Gotta agree there. But I don't care for facial hair on any part of my body.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++