WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

An ar-15 (5.56) with 30rd magazine full of 75gr bthp is all you need for ANY bear period. if i ever hike in grizzly bear country you bet ill have a glock in 9mm or 45acp on my hip weather its "legal" to or not. im in black bear country now so i dont think ill need anything more than a pocket gun. any gun is better than bear spray... take a .22lr pistol!

Is it me, or does every time an assault (by human or animal) turn up on this site the thread turns into a "I'm cool cause I can carry a gun" diatribe. You all think you're Wyatt Earp. Laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Is it me, or does every time an assault (by human or animal) turn up on this site the thread turns into a "I'm cool cause I can carry a gun" diatribe. You all think you're Wyatt Earp. Laughable.

In fencing, touche.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I read a bear attack book a few years ago & every survivor had use bear spray & not guns. Wow just thinking about being in that position with a a grizzly racing towards you, it would be one HUGE test to stand still & patiently wait to fire off that cloud of spray!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Wyatt Earp was pretty bad ass but I have a better moustache.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

IMHO it just comes down to awareness. People should fully know what they are getting into when hiking in grizzly country. Personal protection, whether gun or spray, is up to the individual. Which works better? Well, that's a matter of opinion. I have not been in grizzly country, but I guarantee that I WILL carry spray, when I do go. Better safe than sorry.
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy89 View Post
    An ar-15 (5.56) with 30rd magazine full of 75gr bthp is all you need for ANY bear period. if i ever hike in grizzly bear country you bet ill have a glock in 9mm or 45acp on my hip weather its "legal" to or not. im in black bear country now so i dont think ill need anything more than a pocket gun. any gun is better than bear spray... take a .22lr pistol!

I live in Idaho and also travel to Alaska alot. They find bears all of the time with 7-8 bullets. In Grizz country people laugh at little teenie 5.56 rounds. Guides carry 45-70 alot, or shotuns with slugs.

Bears are very fast. They charge at 30 mph, and they are very low to the ground when they charge. Many shots miss, espcially when you are crapping in yer pants and that over priced undersized AR-15 is shaking in yer hands. Come out on a Grizz hunt with me in Alaska and the other hunters may offer to loan you a 45-70 so that we don't have to carry your body all the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I live in Idaho and also travel to Alaska alot. They find bears all of the time with 7-8 bullets. In Grizz country people laugh at little teenie 5.56 rounds. Guides carry 45-70 alot, or shotuns with slugs.

Bears are very fast. They charge at 30 mph, and they are very low to the ground when they charge. Many shots miss, espcially when you are crapping in yer pants and that over priced undersized AR-15 is shaking in yer hands. Come out on a Grizz hunt with me in Alaska and the other hunters may offer to loan you a 45-70 so that we don't have to carry your body all the way out.
    Heimo Korth would agree with you. YouTube search for Heimo Korth and see why, particularly the episode where he bumps into a grizzly at night and has to shoot it several times with a large caliber rifle before he could kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    The Saiga is a toy and gets worse the more people try to screw with it trying to make it look like the AK. I love the AR, I have built ARs, but I wouldnt consider the various cartridges available for it sufficient for Grizzlies. The benefit of serious bolt actions is that they are built for bigger, heavier and harder hitting cartidges that can put the big animals down.
    The Saiga is a sturdy and reliable weapon. Making it look like an AK does not affect the receiver or magazine, so it would have no effect on reliability. Also, they are not making it "look" like an AK, it is an AK, just has to have the sporter stock for importation.

I wasn't debating that bolt actions are useless, far from it. They fire powerful, accurate cartridges. They have their place, but I don't feel that place is close range. You have a smaller magazine capacity and a slower firing weapon.

Images

That's such a sad story.

Today my wife and I were hiking Rich Mountain Loop Trail at Cades Cove in the GSMNP. 1.5 miles into the trail we walked within 50 ft. of a HUGE momma and her two cubs. We never saw or heard them until we were almost parallel with them. They were quite and blended in. It was frightening at first but we stayed quiet, backed up slowly while I got out my whistle and mace. We gave them several hundred ft. of space and observed them, wishing they would go away but they played and kept wandering around the trail so we left to do another trail.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I live in Idaho and also travel to Alaska alot. They find bears all of the time with 7-8 bullets.
    It undoubtedly has happened but it's not common and certainly doesn't happen "all the time."

irreverent
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I read a bear attack book a few years ago & every survivor had use bear spray & not guns. Wow just thinking about being in that position with a a grizzly racing towards you, it would be one HUGE test to stand still & patiently wait to fire off that cloud of spray!!
    The ones with guns didn't make for much of a story.

Actually, it's the other way around. Gun play involving a grizzly most certainly makes the news...because it requires an investigation to determine if the shooting of a (protected) grizzly was justified, i.e., self-defense. Reporting of such shooting is similarly required.

While reporting the use of bear spray inside NPs is (presumed to be) required, reported instances both inside and outside NPs usually get low key treatment. One reason? No injury to the bear(s), no injury to the hikers.

Maybe it's the old saw, 'bad news makes the headlines, good news doesn't'.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Is it legal to carry a shotgun for protection? I know a CCW permit doesn't count long guns, and I wouldn't be out trying to hunt any. I just don't want to get mauled/eaten by bears and or my girlfriend/friends/children to get mutilated in front of me. I would much rather drop a bear (they grow back) than try to replace a loved one or pay for years of therapy after I witness a wild animal rip my loved one's arms off.
    Also, what caliber of handgun can take a bear out?
    I know some people are probably butthurt by my statements, but we live in a dangerous world, and I'm not willing to be a victim to hostile humans or animals.

Quote Originally Posted by richardgrobbler View Post
    Is it legal to carry a shotgun for protection? I know a CCW permit doesn't count long guns, and I wouldn't be out trying to hunt any. I just don't want to get mauled/eaten by bears and or my girlfriend/friends/children to get mutilated in front of me. I would much rather drop a bear (they grow back) than try to replace a loved one or pay for years of therapy after I witness a wild animal rip my loved one's arms off.
    I know some people are probably butthurt by my statements, but we live in a dangerous world, and I'm not willing to be a victim to hostile humans or animals.
    Post #1? Please tell me you are a troll.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

You could probably carry some home made (holy) handgranades.

Quote Originally Posted by richardgrobbler View Post

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    Care to offer some proof of that statement? Sounds ridiculous to me.
    You are right it is. When I lived in Alaska the only people that shot themselves or other people were drunk Alaskans. But the same can be said of most places.

In Alaska bear country = 338 Win Mag.

In refeference to the original story, a bear that will attack and kill a human once will do it again. I like bears but I like live uninjured people more.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++