WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bear bag best practices

I'm looking for a little insight on how other people handle hanging their food. Specifically, do you put everything edible in the hanging bag, or just things that aren't sealed up and airtight? For example, would you hang freeze-dried Mountain House-type food that hasn't been prepared? How about granola bars, energy bars, and candy bars that haven't been opened?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

wvcurf

All food, basically.

Everything edible, including sealed items and the cook kit (pot, stove, mug...).

Also any personal care items with a scent (toothpaste!).

Quote Originally Posted by Koinseb View Post
    Everything edible, including sealed items and the cook kit (pot, stove, mug...).

Also any personal care items with a scent (toothpaste!).
    Right. Don't forget about the other little things that we have lost the smell for - sunscreen, sanitizer, etc; trash, too.

Hanging food really depends a lot on where you are camped and whether there are even any preditors that are known to be in the area. However, to answer your question, when you hang a bear bag you need to hang everything that has a scent, not just food items. Including your dehydrated meals.
    Example: Medication, hand sanitizer, booze, cook kit, gum, dog food, cigarettes, cigars, etc. Because I hang more than just food, I hang the food and food related items like the cook kit, fuel, booze etc., in a Ursack and then the last thing I do before turning in for the night is to hang my whole backpack with all of the other stuff from a separate tree.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    Hanging food really depends a lot on where you are camped and whether there are even any preditors that are known to be in the area.
    Better safe than sorry IMO.

If it has a smell, hang it!
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson
    AT thru-hike in planning - Class of 2012

If it's edible hang it. You don't want to lose any precious food to rodents or bears.

Incidentally, on the AT, north of Virginia no one does bear hangs any more. If you have a bear hang system provided (on Springer Mountain) or tall poles such as in SNP, or a metal bear box (as you have in New Jersey or in the White Mountains) definitely Use those.

Having any food in tent (odorous or not) is only an invitation to trouble.]

Even lip moisture products need to be included. Anything with scent--whether or not WE recognize it as food.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    If it's edible hang it. You don't want to lose any precious food to rodents or bears.

Incidentally, on the AT, north of Virginia no one does bear hangs any more. If you have a bear hang system provided (on Springer Mountain) or tall poles such as in SNP, or a metal bear box (as you have in New Jersey or in the White Mountains) definitely Use those.

Having any food in tent (odorous or not) is only an invitation to trouble.]
    While hanging food north of Virginia is certainly less commonly, to make a general statement that no one does is inaccurate and a little bit misleading. Hanging food is as much for the safety of the animals as it is for protection of your food/belongings. I think the saying goes, a fead bear is a dead bear.

It's important to be cogniscent of your surroundings and safe with your food. Do not leave it in a location where it could be easily accessed by wildlife, no matter what section of the trail you are on. My habit of sleeping with food in my tent ended when I woke up in a stealth site in VT to a bear circling my tent. It could have been a coincidence, but I decided I'd sleep a lot better not worrying about it.

End rant...

I just read a posthole journal of a tru hiker from here, having her hammock and tarp torn up by a bear (at bear fence shelter of course) and all she had in it was a bottle of Dr Bonner's peppermint soap.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Out at Philmont all "smellables" are put in the bear bag to include clothes that have had food spilled or wiped on them.

Tumbleweed

Images

Since humans are made out of meat, what should be done with them?

Images

sleep in a bear bag, hang yourself 4' from trunk of tree 15 ft abover the ground.

When used, elusively in griz country, the best method I found of bear bagging was the PCT method. Rather than just tying the rope off, I'd even use it over cross poles found in Glacier and Yellowstone.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

And it's also important to wash your hands after eating or handling food. So your hands and clothes don't get mistaken for a peanutbutter sandwich!
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

And remember that deodorant on you has a smell too.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Quote Originally Posted by I'm gimpy View Post
    And it's also important to wash your hands after eating or handling food. So your hands and clothes don't get mistaken for a peanutbutter sandwich!
    Sorry but my fingers have been well licked before I'm worrying about any bear going for them.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Honestly, I keep my "hooch" / liquor with me, that is worth FIGHTING for!

Usually does not last that long anyway. Usually bring 8-10 oz to celebrate the 1st few nights out.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Sorry but my fingers have been well licked before I'm worrying about any bear going for them.
    That works the same a washing in my book, and less wastful too
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Images

It's easier just to sleep w/ your food!! Never had a problem!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

++ New Posts ++