WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Dog Harness/Backpack

I was just looking for a good review of dog backpacks. I adopted a 45lb Australian Shepard working as a Peace Corps Vol and cant wait to get him on the trail when I get home. What do you guys like/dislike?

Thanks.

PS. I looked for this topic but could not find in the search so forgive me if this has been posted.

We use the Granite Gear Ruff Rider for our 50 lb Border Collie. easy on and off, holds plenty, and the straps adjust on trail really easy.

moonbowgear.com makes custom dog packs for your dog. You send them measurements and the pack should fit perfectly, and you can add or take away volume. I'm going to order one for my dog, as she doesn't easily fit into a premanufactured size. The quote I got was around sixty dollars, which to me, is well worth it if it fits her better than a thirty dollar store brand.

aussies are very active hikers. look for a pack that doesn't flop and is streamlined. i found the ruffwear approach pack to be very tough and just the right amount of pack for my old blue heeler and it's still going on my rotten shepherd. flaps over the zippers to keep water out in rain and very important to me is the harness yoke across the chest is completely covered and padded so there is no rubbing. they run big. i remember having to get a size smaller than i assumed going by their website's measurements.

My 33 pound Cattle Dog uses a Ruff Wear Approach Pack. I have yet to make her use it on a backpacking trip due to the extreme heat that we are having in the south but it is a good pack for sure. However, I first bought the Ruff Wear Palisades pack because of all the features but the smallest that it is offered in is a size Small and the small is still too big for her so I had to return it. For your 45 pound Aussie the size small would fit perfectly and I do recommend the Palisades pack. The reason is that it's multipurpose. You can take the packs off and use the harness alone or use the whole thing as is. It also comes with a removable water bladder in each pack. I wish that it fit my little dog but it doesn't. The Approach pack is fine, it does it's job nicely but once again if I had my way the Palisades pack would have been my choice.

I'm a trainer and I just want to emphasize that the pack should be made so that the weight is forward over the front legs and NOT on the back. If the pack weight is distributed on the dog's back, it can stress the dog's spine. A good dog pack (or service dog pack) will be designed to disperse the weight down the withers and only slightly on the back.

Images

ruff rider makes great stuff...we have a leash by them that goes around the waste and has a bit of bungee give...very nice...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSoul View Post
    I'm a trainer and I just want to emphasize that the pack should be made so that the weight is forward over the front legs and NOT on the back. If the pack weight is distributed on the dog's back, it can stress the dog's spine. A good dog pack (or service dog pack) will be designed to disperse the weight down the withers and only slightly on the back.
    Do you know of a brand that distributes weight properly and that you feel comfortable recommending?

I've got the RuffWear Palisades packs for both my heelers. The greatest feature is that the saddlebags unclip from the harness for easy loading/unloading and just to give the dogs a trailside rest.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I bought a daypack-sized Outward Hound pack for a short (2.5 week trip). It tore open on day 2 of the trip. By the end, every single steam has been re-stitched by me and every zipper is held together with safety pins. Also, the front straps chafed under his armpits and across his chest, so I just cut them off. Not a very good purchase.

I don't like the look of the ruffwear packs--too much heavy junk. I'm going to try a wolfpack for my next trip.

This is copied from another thread:

I have a Wolfpack, the smallest, simplest model they make. It's just about good enough for walks around town, but wasn't meant for hiking. I have used 4 different packs.
    I'm with Kanga. The Ruffwear Approach is the best I've used so far. It is very durable. I mostly like the sturdy, well-fitted, padded harness. I have often carried my dog over fast, rock-hopping streams and lifted her up or down some big ledges, using the pack's handle. And it stays pretty level if you pack it evenly. My 60lb. Akita wears a medium. My only complaints are that the pockets are too big for my needs. I pack my old dog lightly, and the pockets hang low and puff out to the sides. They drag and scrape on everything, but tearing is not even a thought since the fabric is tough! I had some fabric "taken in" to reduce this effect.
    Also, I wish it was available in red for better visibility in the woods. I got blue (as opposed to green) so my dog would not blend in to the forest.
    Their Palisades pack is red, but too heavy (37 oz.), with excessive bells and whistles for my liking.
    The REI website will give you weight specs for everything. I think the Approach is about 21 oz. (that's a full pound lighter). They also have 2 models under the REI brand name. I recently bought their REI "Ultra" dog pack, but haven't used it yet. It has smaller pockets with compression cords. It remains to be seen if it's as good as the Approach.
    If you buy from REI, you can return it, unconditionally. Can't beat that.

++ New Posts ++