WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Poncho tarp

I have a campmor 5x9 extended poncho tarp and its decent, but I would not want to be in really nasty weather in it.
    Besides if it blows away in a storm and you dont have any spare rain gear etc you are screwed.
    I thought the tieouts looked a bit weak on mine so I added some reinforcing.
    Weighs 9oz.

You need a good well drained campsite, a bathtub GC and a bivy of some sort.
    They now make a driducks emergency poncho that weighs 2.8 oz and is cheap so you can carry that if you have to set up in the rain, use it for extra protection etc.

Also carry your cordage in a bag with small biners so you can hook onto the poncho tarp.
    All additional stuff.

Actually I think its better to carry a rain jacket or a parcho and a cat cut cuben tarp and keep everything separate, but if you are trying to do the minimalist sub 5# thing a poncho tarp will get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I have a campmor 5x9 extended poncho tarp and its decent, but I would not want to be in really nasty weather in it.
    Besides if it blows away in a storm and you dont have any spare rain gear etc you are screwed.
    I thought the tieouts looked a bit weak on mine so I added some reinforcing.
    Weighs 9oz.

You need a good well drained campsite, a bathtub GC and a bivy of some sort.
    They now make a driducks emergency poncho that weighs 2.8 oz and is cheap so you can carry that if you have to set up in the rain, use it for extra protection etc.

Also carry your cordage in a bag with small biners so you can hook onto the poncho tarp.
    All additional stuff.

Actually I think its better to carry a rain jacket or a parcho and a cat cut cuben tarp and keep everything separate, but if you are trying to do the minimalist sub 5# thing a poncho tarp will get you there.
    I used this poncho last spring and it did well as rain gear but I wouldn't want to depend on it as a shelter. I did use it as a shelter one night when I hiked late into the night and did not want to bother with the tent, I was on a slight incline and slide from under the shelter several times to be awakened by light rain.

You definitely need a WP bivy with a small tarp.
    Tyvek works and is cheap, but by the time you add up the weight of a normal, IE not cuben, decently sized tarp, bivy and GC you are almost at the weight of a contrail, sublite or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    You definitely need a WP bivy with a small tarp.
    Tyvek works and is cheap, but by the time you add up the weight of a normal, IE not cuben, decently sized tarp, bivy and GC you are almost at the weight of a contrail, sublite or something like that.
    True, but a Contrail or Sublite does not provide rain protection for you and your pack while hiking. A proper poncho does.

True, If you are trying to hit a sub 5# base then a poncho tarp makes that goal easier with a lighter bivy and light GC but I am a hanger so tents dont interest me much anyway.

Still a normal cuben poncho (IE not a poncho/tarp) or even better a cuben parcho weighs 5oz so not a huge deal breaker except for the cost considering with a poncho tarp you still should carry an emergency rain jacket that weighs 1.5-2oz or a frogtoggs emer poncho - 2.8 oz.

Multiuse gear does save weight and space and thats a good thing, but you just cant make a mistake especially if you dual use your shelter rain gear quilt insulating layer ground cloth etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++