WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

Post Foothills Trail in SC/NC July 18-23, 2011

Foothills Trail in SC/NC July 18-23, 2011

Hike the Foothills Trail in South Carolina with us. We'll leave Nashville on Sunday afternoon and drive to SC. We will hike Monday-Friday (and part of Saturday, if/as needed). This will be a strenuous pace. Return to Nashville on Saturday night.

The Foothills Trail is 77 miles, with lots of waterfalls, primitive camping, rivers, lakes, and (or course) mountains.

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

If you can not hike the entire week, but want to join us for a portion of the trail, there are road crossings where we could arrange that.

If interested, post reply or contact me via email or PM.

Also, if anyone has hints, suggestions, warnings, or helpful info, I'm all ears.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Great trail Rain Man. If you haven't hiked it before I highly recommend going from Oconee to Table Rock. It's not a hard hike - you won't have any trouble hiking it in 5 days.

Awesome trail. I've done most of it in three shots. It will be very warm, but there is so much water that will make up for it. The side trail down to the Laurel Gorge is well worth the trouble--many camp spots and several big swimming holes. Coming out of Table Rock SP always seems harder than it should be for me, but then it is down hill from there. There is a most interesting old homesite just east of Sassafras Mt. equipped with a couple of loungers. IMG_0378.jpg

Just to clarify - there are no "big climbs" on this trail either way but it is significantly easier hiking it from Oconee to Table Rock.

I've hiked it twice and noticed it both times. My son, who isn't really into hiking did the trail with me last time and even he commented on how we always seem to be walking on a downhill. Obviously both directions can't be downhill.

Images

THANKS for the suggestions and info so far. We have not decided which direction to go, or whether to even start at Table Rock State Park, given the alternative of Ceasars Head State Park, though I am leaning toward Table Rock as it seems the "official" terminus. I'm from the area (born and raised down there, that is) and have wanted to hike this trail for a while. But usually I'm visiting family instead of hiking. This time I'm biting the bullet and doing the hike instead of seeing family. I told my mama and she said she would not take my picture off of the TV for this one offense. Plainly, she's a saint! LOL

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Just to clarify - there are no "big climbs" on this trail either way ....
    You Da Man! I would call the 2,000 foot climb over three miles out of Table Rock to be a "big climb."

RainMan

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You Da Man! I would call the 2,000 foot climb over three miles out of Table Rock to be a "big climb."

RainMan

I don't go that way. That's a downhill if you start from Oconee. But, by AT standards it's still mercifully short don't you think?

Trust me.... start at Oconee.

The trail out of Table rock is not an epic, but it will certainly get your attention. There are a couple of long boulder fields and it seems like whenever I have gone up it it is rainy or slippery or just plain takes longer and is more of an effort than I think it should. Except for one exposed face there is not much to look at, especially this time of year. If you can make a cruise of it I salute you. I typically go that way because I often come out at Gorges near a friend's house, and excepting the Table Rock section it is mostly down hill to there. But either way the trail is a gem and you can finish with a dip in a creek or lake. If you do it from Oconee and have the time then once you are in Table Rock you might want to go over Pinnacle Mt. and hike Panther Gap/Table Rock. That trail keeps you on a ridge that borders the watershed property. There is a lot to see and it would add only about an hour.
    That is a great trail that I don't think I will get tired of being on. I've never done the Ceasar's Head and Jones Gap option but might try to set that up as a fall or winter loop this year.

Images

I've hiked the trail quite a few times and prefer hiking Oconee to Table Rock.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    I've hiked the trail quite a few times and prefer hiking Oconee to Table Rock.
    I think that's the route/direction we are going to take, also, due to various reasons. Right now there are three for us for sure, with one "maybe" I think. Anyone else want to come out for the week or a day or two?

RainMan

Images

Trust me.... start at Oconee.
    Will do.

RainMan

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i'll chime in since I've hiked it 3.5 times - and say that table rock to oconee is a harder hike, but i like that direction better

and yes, the climb out of table rock and over pinnacle, as well as the 'steps' headed west rival the GA AT in my opinion.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Not to be a spoil sport but plan on it being a hot hike this time of year. Record heat going on now in that part of the USA.

Images

I wish I could! That sounds like a lot of fun. But I'm only up to 4 miles a hike. Rehab is slow going. GRRRR!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I wish I could! That sounds like a lot of fun. But I'm only up to 4 miles a hike. Rehab is slow going. GRRRR!
    It would only take you 3 weeks! I'll even volunteer to meet you with a food drop at a road crossing if you want to go for it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Not to be a spoil sport but plan on it being a hot hike this time of year. Record heat going on now in that part of the USA.
    Yep, we live not too far away. It's actually hotter right here. Have been practice hiking during the exact hottest hours of each day here. I think yesterday the heat index was at least 105. Today was not as hot. Fortunately, that trail has lots of streams, a big lake, and plenty of water. And, we have plenty of time so can go slowly.

RainMan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Want to come up and camp out with us on Monday evening at Burrell's Ford? No need to hike even 4 miles, just drive.

RainMan

Images

It would only take you 3 weeks! I'll even volunteer to meet you with a food drop at a road crossing if you want to go for it.
    LOL it does sound tempting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Want to come up and camp out with us on Monday evening at Burrell's Ford? No need to hike even 4 miles, just drive.

RainMan

Is that some place I would need 4 wheel drive? Or would my toyota get me there?

Yeppers! It can be SO HOT on FHT this time of year! The air just doesn't move on some parts and it is exhausting and sweltering! Plan to take lots of breaks and cool off in the water when you can!

Rainman--feel free to use my water spigot at the Laurel Valley bridge access. Fresh, clean water from 320 ' deep well. Find it by the rock wall/parking area. Have a great hike!!

Sunny
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++