WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Arrow I Live In Florida Question On Wearing Good Sandals Hiking In Warm Weather On AT?

When I kayak I have water shoes they look like sneakers they have mesh darn wish this board had spell check lol. So the water will run right out the sides.

I also have a very sturdy tire type sandal that has very good support except your toes are exposed. I would wear socks on the trail.

Has anyone tried sandals? I read all these post of how bad your toes get blisters etc.

I have been breaking in a pair of hiking boots and even on flat land my outer big toes start to hurt......

Anyone with input write me...

Wa do Thank you
    Catsgoing
    Cathy
    Venice, Florida

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Thumbs up Keens

I've backpacked in Keens. Loved them. Like any boot make sure they fit you.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Default chacos

I like chacos (terranos) the best. Unless it's wet and cold, I save the socks for camp and bed (keeps my sleeping bag cleaner). I've hiked in tevas, but they make my feet smell really bad! Others have told me they have the same problem with tevas & odor.

Quote Originally Posted by oyvay
    I like chacos (terranos) the best. Unless it's wet and cold, I save the socks for camp and bed (keeps my sleeping bag cleaner). I've hiked in tevas, but they make my feet smell really bad! Others have told me they have the same problem with tevas & odor.

Dittos.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...Rick%20Allnutt

I was much happier with the Chacos than with Teva Wraptors.

I have had some problems with my heel cracking when walking in sandals on the trail. I am presently hiking in Vasque sundowners despite my ultralight roots.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Images

i have hiked in Teva Terra Fi's and wally world generic sandals and never had a problem other than the occassional snubbed toe when i got to happy rock running
    Fantasies are Merely realities in waiting!

Default Bare footin' it

I read somewhere about someone who did the whole thing in wrapters- It think. It may have been the thru-hiker.com guy. I always take a pair for camp, and on longer trip I will hike in them if its wet or if I just feel like it. No socks.

I've done many day trips in them the only trouble I ever had was with sword grass, it has that name for a reason. Never did make it to that outcropping that day. It was a humble retreat with bloody feet.

tideblazer
    Images

Many folks do the AT with Chacos. My advise is to bring a backup pair of light sneakers and give the sandals a try for a long haul.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

starting in march ending in sept.2005 Gacy's Avatar

Default keen

I did some miles in keens and they are amazing they have a shell over your toe to eliminate stubs but they are still extremely breatheable and they last forever plus they are wide and thats a big plus comfort was amazing as well.
    Be feared or live in fear.

Dont worry about tommorow because today is the tommorow you worried about yesterday.

I have a pair of Chacos with the stealth tread. i use em for slabs, water crossings, camp and even sometines just to hike in. they're great! i really love em! i read somewhere you should stay away from sandals with neopreme on the straps as they take longer to dry than the simple nylon webbing like Chaoc has and can give you blisters when wet. Also, try on some Chacos before buying. I wear a 9.5 reg street shoe and a 10.0 EE hiking boot, but the regular width 10.0 Chacos fit me perfectly, better than 9.0 and/or wide (they only come in even sizes, but do come in reg and wide).

++ New Posts ++