WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up Homemade extremely portable stove!

I just stumbled upon this and thought it was one of the coolest things i've seen in a while. I instantly thought everyone here would be interested in this. Take a look!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flY6DMCe4uM[/youtube]

I am interested but can't get the link to work or find it on you tube. Can you repost the link? Thanks.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Ga.------>Me. ~2012~ pdcollins6092's Avatar

..They call that a penny stove. I've used one for years.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, United States

how often would you need to replace the fiberglass or whatever material you use to soak the alcohol?
    Patrick
    2012 hopeful

"People are a lot like Slinky's, Not much fun really, until you push them down the stairs"

Hey JohKnip, if you liked that, you might appreciate Zen Stoves (a standard for stove information): http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

DY - although the insulation may get pretty hot, it should act only as a fuel-wick and not actually burn, so it should last for some time.

Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, United States

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    Hey JohKnip, if you liked that, you might appreciate Zen Stoves (a standard for stove information): http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

DY - although the insulation may get pretty hot, it should act only as a fuel-wick and not actually burn, so it should last for some time.
    Thank you Aaron, any worries with it being fiberglass or possibly a better wick material to use?
    Patrick
    2012 hopeful

"People are a lot like Slinky's, Not much fun really, until you push them down the stairs"

Oh I love this! Thanks for sharing!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

My last stove was a cat stove I made from directions on Sgt Rock's website. I never replaced the fiberglass insulation I started with, and I used the stove for 5 years. The insulation was still fine, but the cans were starting to seriously rust.

I'm using a supercat/firebucket system now.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by pdcollins6092 View Post
    Thanks pdcollins! The code I used to try and post the video works for me in other forums but not here apparently. :/

So I made a penny stove very similar to this...is there any reason why it would burn for about 1 min then go out? am I not putting enough fuel in or maybe not doing it correctly? I put about 1.5 tbls of gas line antifreeze isopropyl whatever it is. I'm new to this.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/ This is the stove I made and it just keeps going out on me...do I need to use that fiberglass with it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sweetchristine View Post
    So I made a penny stove very similar to this...is there any reason why it would burn for about 1 min then go out? am I not putting enough fuel in or maybe not doing it correctly? I put about 1.5 tbls of gas line antifreeze isopropyl whatever it is. I'm new to this.
    Only use Heet in the yellow bottle(methanol). Or denatured alcohol.

Heet in the red bottle(isopropyl) does not work as well and it smells horrible.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

So i made my stove being bored today and i'm ready to test it BUT...

1. Never seen Heet before, where can i buy it?

2. Never had to buy denatured alcohol before, how much does it cost? Is there anywhere else to buy it besides outfitters?

3. In a hypothetical world if i made some moonshine would that suffice as fuel?
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

Images

Denatured alcohol is found next to the paint thinner in the ace hardware or similar stores. I don't put any insulation in my stoves, and they work fine. I don't like the idea of burning fiberglass, lets off noxious fumes. Look at this guys site... he makes the most kick butt stoves I've seen. With all the hardware, makes em a bit heavy, but they look awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA97x9o0_2Q Moonshine is the best..,.multi purpose. Grain alcohol at the ABC store works fine .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
    I just stumbled upon this and thought it was one of the coolest things i've seen in a while. I instantly thought everyone here would be interested in this. Take a look!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flY6DMCe4uM[/youtube]
    Thank you JohKnip ofor the link. Always have time for a video on how to make a stove. It's a fun hobby making stoves. Zen stoves is a great place to start. Search this forum for stoves made by Skidsteer. He's one of the best designers on the East Coast. Oops56 is another one that has designed a ton of DIY stoves.

Images

Ok - Ok, I'll toot my own horn

The guys over at bplite.com do a bang up job on designing and making DIY stoves. Zenstoves gets most of his info from bplite.

Watch for the Labor Day "Super Stove Sale"

Check out my new Flashover Stove, it uses a simmer ring and I was able to make it burn on 1/2 ounce of alcohol for 22 minutes. Go to www.outdoortrailgear.com or check out my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/smokeeater908?feature=mhee

Keep it simple. Make your own cat stove. Cheap and easy to make. Under 1 oz. Make your own heavy tin foil wind screen. Easy to use. Fill with alcohol light put your pot on and that's it. The burn time is dependent on the size of holes. Bigger holes = faster burn time = boils water faster. Smaller holes = longer burn time = longer to boil water. The biggest complaint I've heard about these stoves is you waste fuel. So experiment at home, put marks on the inside for different fuel levels and burn times.

Good luck and hike on

Pound Hound and Garage Man

++ New Posts ++