WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It's probably better to go into a town without any preconceived notions about how you're going to be treated.

If you expect to be mistreated it could totally change your "vibe" and sure enough, you'll get mistreated.

Personally, I never met a town I didn't like. Manchester Center and Hanover were my 2 favorite towns and they're both a bit upscale from say... Erwin or Hiawassee..

I tried to clean up before I went to a food resupply, ect, but I found on my thru sometimes a sudden opportunity presents itself and you gotta take advantage right then or lose it. For example, I was headed into Gorham, NH for a resupply, got picked up, and they offered to take me to the wal-mart. I didn't have time to shower or anything, and I wouldn't have expected the driver to wait around on me. So I went straight in there, resupplied, and they drove me back to the trail. I had a few drivers do this for me, so I would shop fast and get back out as a courtesy, and I always appreciated it, and made sure to tell them.

Sometimes, and stuff like that happened several times, you just gotta get your business done, and I would rather not walk around wal-mart after not showering or doing laundry for a week, but it was do that or lose the opportunity.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

I have a friend who is a seal. They do it right. Sky dive in travel light and fast and get re supply dropped in to you.
    Dis regarding all other negatives that is.

Quote Originally Posted by middle to middle View Post
    I have a friend who is a seal. They do it right. Sky dive in travel light and fast and get re supply dropped in to you.
    Dis regarding all other negatives that is.

Hi..

That's SEAL, friend...!!

----it is what it is---if Im not responsible--and didn't cause it --I just accept it and hike on!

in other words I've learned to quit expecting other folks to act the way I think they ought to act! I have no knowledge of what they have dealt with prior to my arrival so if I cant help the situation I move on down the trail! With that said---I go out of my way to be grateful---humble---and respectable. If that doesn't work its a toxic situation for me and I head on down the trail!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    the cops hang around there too. Don't get cought changing your clothes at the laundrymat. I'm sure there is a law against that.

Panzer

I have to disagree with you there. Kent does not have its own Police force, but has to depend on officers from a nearby town. Cops don't "hang out" anywhere in Kent. (unfortunately, that means they're also completely unavailable for assistance if you need it).
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The postmaster at Kent was not friendly either to me but very gruff. But I had a business owner offer me free Internet, a townsperson tell me of a nearby campground for hikers, and the Chinese restaurant didn't care where my pack was and gave me good food. So not all of Kent is bad.
    No, not all of Kent is bad....some of the business and folks are quite nice. The lady in the post office was uber-friendly and helpful, and the Outfitter Annie was terrific. But...the IGA folk were so-so, the local burger-ish restaurant requires hikers to stay outside, and the guy who ran the gas station at the center of town was a total jerk.

The most significant example of the Kentish however was the lady who couldn't help us get home (she had no cell) but offered us floor space in her house for the night when we were stranded in the center of town. We declined, so she waited vigil with us into the wee hours while we waited for the family to come get us. (technically though she wasn't from Kent....but from nearby Warren)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I am the same way. It always surprised me that any hiker on any trail would go straight to a restaurant from the trail before cleaning up. Hell, I'd even try to clean up a bit before I tried to catch a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Yeah, a lot are grumpy, but I would HATE to have their job for even an hour. .
    There are 15,000,000 people out there that would love to have thier job, including me. You can't get fired and you have every holiday off and every benefit under the sun...they get no simpathy from me! They should be grateful for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    The town is nice, friendly, convenient and right on trail (some things are pricey, but the IGA's ok). Shouldn't let one unfriendly person ruin a good trail town's rep.
    Unfortunately towns are like restraunts...you get 1000 good meals and then get a bad one and never go back.

I have stopped in Kent many times and done my Laundry their each time with out any problems I highly recommend the town and the Laundromat, I wish folks would quite Bashing and bad mouthing great Establishments when things don't work out to their expectations, You are no Celebrity you are just another customer so treat that way so GROW UP.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmmm...I think perhaps that the OP would have been quite content to be recognized as a CUSTOMER rather than a CELEBRTY, and afforded the treatment due any other customer. This does not appear to have been the case however. It was stated that the owner did not care for hiker business, an odd thing in a trail town, but certainly withing the owner's perogative. The OP was trying to warn others that they could also be made to feel "bad" by this discourtesy....thus the post.

Perhaps you might learn to read for comprehension, and grow up yourself.

perhaps until you have walked through there as a hiker you should withhold judgement

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    perhaps until you have walked through there as a hiker you should withhold judgement
    I agree, LW.....everyone has bad days, and perhaps that's all that the OP encountered.

Images

All I can say is "Welcome to Connecticut"......................................

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    All I can say is "Welcome to Connecticut"......................................
    + 1, Coach
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries
    Images

Quite possibly the dumbest thread with 10K hits. Sometimes it's up to us as a group to bathe and raise the social skills... Please remember to smile and say stupid things like "I appreciate your thoughts,,, but we are here as customers and you are a dumb ass, and I don't care about your small minded view.... My money is still green.."

When you get older you learn to get away with comments like the above... feel free to adapt it to your liking.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    No, not all of Kent is bad....some of the business and folks are quite nice. The lady in the post office was uber-friendly and helpful, and the Outfitter Annie was terrific. But...the IGA folk were so-so, the local burger-ish restaurant requires hikers to stay outside, and the guy who ran the gas station at the center of town was a total jerk.
    The IGA folk have treated me and a fellow hiker well, and I've done just fine at the gas station you mention.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

We were stranded in Kent with no cell service. There was a pay phone outside the gas station..but it was out of order. We went inside to ask the clerk if there was another phone in town we could use. He said no, they had the only pay phone in town. Then I asked if he could direct me to someplace where I might be able to make an emergency call. He said no, that most people had their own phones and didn't need anything else. When I explained that my phone didn't get reception, he simply said "I guess you're out of luck".

Now, I don't judge him to be a jerk because I was a hiker in need of assistance and he was unwilling to help. I judge him a jerk because I was a human being in need of assistance, and he was unwilling to even direct me to a source of help.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++