WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sleeping comfort softness question

I have a hard time sleeping on anything hard, I currently sleep on an overstuffed leather couch because it is so soft, What are the best suggestions for a type of mat to purchase to backpack in, I would rather carry 4 extra lbs than get no sleep and wake up with sore hips and shoulder, I do have arthitis in the shoulder I sleep on

Well, I was worried about the same thing myself, and I'm a huge guy (probably the fattest backpacker you'll ever see). I tried out my brother's REI 1.75 sleeping pad, and was surprised at how comfortable it was. I thought it was a tad heavy, but I think it weighs in at 2 lbs 8 oz.

Anyhow, just yesterday I bought a Thermarest Trail Lite Large pad. It's weighs 2-7, an ounce less, but it's 25 inches wide, and an inch-and-a-half thick when inflated. Even my tubby tubby didn't touch the ground while laying on it, so I'm sure you'll be plenty comfy.
    Grant Silverstone

A Wannabe Thru-Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by birdygal View Post
    I have a hard time sleeping on anything hard, I currently sleep on an overstuffed leather couch because it is so soft, What are the best suggestions for a type of mat to purchase to backpack in, I would rather carry 4 extra lbs than get no sleep and wake up with sore hips and shoulder, I do have arthitis in the shoulder I sleep on
    i also have terrible time sleepin on trail.ive tried just about ever kind of pad.even doubling the pads (still no rest).The best i have found is go to walmart an get a big piece of foam from the bedding section.and cut it ever how u like.yes it does weigh more but let me sleep.at our age (or speaking just for me )rest is everything!

Have any of you looked into a hammock.I have a bad back and have found the hammock very comfy.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Journal Entries

That is a very personal question. Many carry a cushy sleep pad as their one luxury item.

my sleep pads weighs 5.2 oz I am a stomach sleeper primarily and you need much less padding when laying on stomach than side or back.

I'd say the softest backpacking pad I ever used is the Exped Downmat 9 Pump. It will be too warm for summer use but you should investigate the Exped line for a similar 3.5 inch thick three season pad.

thermarest neo-air, have the nest comfort, light weight.

Images
    halftime

Noob

I'll second that on the REI 1.75. I love mine and always sleep great.

Images

hammock or else neoair if I must be on ground

as another said, look at the Exped products. I have both the model 9 and 7. The 9 is for cold and/or shorter trips. I carried the 7 on the AT last year. Neither will give me the rest I get at home on my mattress to be sure but these are the best that I have found by far.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Big Agnes Air Core. 2.5 inches thick. Good to 35 degrees. They have an insulated version good to 15. If I was going solo, I'd seriously consider a hammock.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/nemo-a...eping-pad.html

I went with this one. So far so good. A bit heavy but relatively light compared to others here.

thanks everyone I am looking into all options I originally though hammock was the only way I would be happy but I am going with my husband so tent or shelter is just about my options for now, Once I know my husband and I are ok with the overnight hiking and sleep ok, we are day hikers have not slept in a tent for 20 plus years which I hated sleeping on the ground then, my husband has never camped one day in his entire 70 yrs. I won't have a problem spending on better equipment

Hike smarter, not harder.

Any of the insulated air mattresses. Just don't over-infllate them. Self inflating mattresses don't work for me, too thin, too heavy. Or try this - http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html. Or..........learn to sleep on something harder. It's a learned skill.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 07-17-2011 at 11:23.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Only a partial solution, but when practical sight selection can make a big difference too...some of us stealth camp away from established sights and selecting an area with nice soft duff can help a lot compared to the hard ground or a shelter floor. Looking for "leaf traps" in the fall are not only softer but help with insulation. Experienced a dry cold February trip a couple of years ago along the Blue Ridge and slept warm and well in the softest bed of leaves imaginable with just a small thin torso pad.
    Kevin

I have had 2 herniated discs and the best answer for me has been a hammock! Take a look at the Hammock Forum's site for useful ideas - and if I may make a suggestion, please do yourself a favor and get a large (10 or 12' x 20') ultra-light wieght tarp. In my experience, sitting out thunderstorms and dealing with cold breezes in the mountains will be much more comfortable with a very large tarp. During my attempted AT thru-hike, I used a diamond shaped Treehugger tarp and though I was dry and okay - I could have been better and felt safer.
    Good luck!

None of my disks are herniated yet, but five of mine are bulging or torn. So my back is an issue. I slept like a baby in a hammock for years, but circumstance forced me to the ground. I now sleep well on either a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (in cold weather) or a NeoAir (the rest of the year.) Both are 2.5" thick. The NeoAir is under a pound, and as I'm trying to keep my load light to preserve what's left of my back, I like that a lot.

Images

Ground camping I use a Neoair short, otherwise I love my hammock!
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

After several sleepless nights in a row, you will be broken of any need for ultra-softness and will be able to sleep on closed-cell foam. Kinda like going cold-turkey from coffee. At least that's the consensus among several of my hiker friends. But my BF disagrees so he uses a neo-air.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

++ New Posts ++