WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Man vs Wild & Surviving the Cut - Discovery

Bear included Jake Gyllenhall in the last Iceland hike, Jake did very well - better than a novice. No trail just a course on a compass.

Jake brought a new talent to the show, new shows are on the way, sorry the "other" guy gave up.... Les got tired of starvation.... Have you seen it?

What are your thoughts......
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I always preferered Les, as I actually learned stuff I could use , where I learn more from Bear if I happen to want to go to the Amazon or some unlikely destination. Ive lately gotten into the show Dual survival.

Images

Love Dual Survival. Lots of great stuff to know from that show. I feel like Man vs. Wild is just Bear showing off at how manly he is. No real advice from that.

The best thing about Dual Survival is seeing how two unlikely partners get along under difficult (but staged) situations. It's entertaining plus sometimes I learn something. Agree w/Scratch about Bear Gryll.

Noob

I really enjoyed the banter between the two Bear and Jake on the Iceland episode. It was much more watchable than most of the other shows of Bear's.

Now, I thoroughly enjoy Dual Survival. I think it is the best "survival" show out there right now.

I watch them all, but:
    Les is supposedly coming back. Thank goodness.
    Dual Survival is entertaining and informative.
    Man vs. Wild is mildly entertaining and for the most part--if we are honest--are examples of what most people wouldn't/couldn't do. But on the other hand, we all could get wet and dirty, sleep in a hotel, then move 30 miles over a few ridges and fire up the cameras again in the morning

Images

i love man vs wild. i really enjoyed his quote last night "if there's doubt, there's no doubt". a lot of people just hate on bear. sure he does some stuff that probably isn't really recommended. SO WHAT? THEN DON'T DO IT. his firebuilding skills are ELITE. as are his rope work and climbing.

also enjoy dual survival, but sometimes get sick of the 2 egos arguing with each other. cody is also elite at fire building.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

These are shows for entertainment and don't in any real way duplicate survival situations. Put the boys out there with minimal gear, lost, and keep them lost for 30 days and I might show some interest. But then, the show would go from Survivor Top Dog to I Can't Believe I Survived. In other words, take away all backup.

It's like Bill Bryson having a TV show on how to hike the Appalachian Trail. Good comedy.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

You think his skills are so great, next time pay attention to how often the camera cuts during the action. Anything can be happening in between cuts.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Noob

As outlandish as Bear is, it sure beats watching the bachelorette or some other god awful reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by paistes5 View Post
    As outlandish as Bear is, it sure beats watching the bachelorette or some other god awful reality show.
    A general criticism of Television can lead to despair and the selling of couches---but inflamed buttocks might finally heal. Remember, the people who love these survivor shows so much are COUCH POTATOES!

Images

These 3 shows are TONS better than most of the crap on TV. Dual Survival is my favorite - they go out with less gear, the two of them work really well together, with all three shows I have learned things, most of which I hope never to need.

Good TV

Images

i never knew you can tap water from a birch tree.

Quote Originally Posted by paistes5 View Post
    The Bachelorette is probably more dangerous/creative than Bear's show. Unless, of course, Bears ground fault in his hotel room quits working and his hair dryer shorts out. Take Bear's show as outdoor scenic entertainment, not much more.

Images

I own both of Cody Lundins books. They are pretty good. Weird sense of humor. Even weirder then MINE!

Images

les stroud-dual survival and Bear in that order

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    les stroud-dual survival and Bear in that order
    2 out of three in my preference

Les, Dual, not watching the Bear.

I enjoyed and learned a bit off of last season's Man, Woman, Wild show.

Out of all of those show host's above, Bear is the toughest. He can not only survive, but toss all of those guys in a jungle with knives in a game of kill or be killed and Bear would walk out alone.

I still wouldn't buy one of his survival knives, though...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    A general criticism of Television can lead to despair and the selling of couches---but inflamed buttocks might finally heal. Remember, the people who love these survivor shows so much are COUCH POTATOES!
    data gathered from your little campfire doesn't pertain to the rest of the world. i dig those shows a lot and spend little time on the couch. sorry nobody's barking down your door to record "old man sits in a tent and talks about how the rest of the world are pussies".
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++