WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Motel room etiquette

I can already hear the catcalls on this one.

I'm an old-fashioned guy that has shared a motel room with only one member of the opposite sex - my still one and only.

When a group of friends chip in for a motel room, what's the protocol for beds? One occupant to a bed? One sex to a bed? Sleeping bags only? Under the covers? I realize that anything goes when everyone gives their consent, but I draw the line at some things. I suppose I would know beforehand if I was in the right group before I plunk my money down.

I'm reminded of that scene from Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. Would hate to embarrass anyone, including me.

It just depends on the group. There is no single set of "rules" for that. Every group is different, every person is different. Just set your personal ground rules beforehand and people will understand no problem. And if they don't, they're likely not people you'd be hiking with anyway.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Always keep your head on a swivel

Quote Originally Posted by rsmout View Post
    When a group of friends chip in for a motel room, what's the protocol for beds?
    The snorers sleep outside!

I suggest "be the banker". You buy the room, get first choice if beds, etc. Invite, share, split costs with friends.

You set the rules, i.e. smoking, dogs, etc. and you do not have to invite anybody twice.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Easy. I don't share hotel rooms with anybody. I get total control of the shower and the tv. Total privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Easy. I don't share hotel rooms with anybody. I get total control of the shower and the tv. Total privacy.
    ditto.......

That's almost always what I do as well.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I always thought the 1st step was deciding on a "safe word".

Images

I would not share a room with a woman, or a smoker.

Images

I have gone both ways, so to speak. Single motel room, generally mine and mine alone. Then agaion a cabin like at Neels Gap., three new friends known only for 2 days and it was girls up in the loft, boys downstairs. Yes, be the banker and set the rules if you are going to share with "new" freinds. The only time I shared a room was at SkyLand in SNP. Two mid 20's hikers, girl and boy who were thru's and we were all soaked from a storm. My caveat' "I'm old enough to be your dad so don't be doing anything you would not be doin with your dad around". Since they had been sleeping next to each other for about a thousand miles, didn't really matter to me. Just don't wake me up.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    I have gone both ways, so to speak. Single motel room, generally mine and mine alone. Then agaion a cabin like at Neels Gap., three new friends known only for 2 days and it was girls up in the loft, boys downstairs. Yes, be the banker and set the rules if you are going to share with "new" freinds. The only time I shared a room was at SkyLand in SNP. Two mid 20's hikers, girl and boy who were thru's and we were all soaked from a storm. My caveat' "I'm old enough to be your dad so don't be doing anything you would not be doin with your dad around". Since they had been sleeping next to each other for about a thousand miles, didn't really matter to me. Just don't wake me up.
    Without a doubt, the most important rule.

I shared a hotel room a few times. Once I got the bed and all the guys slept on the ground. Once I got a spot on the ground and other women were in the beds. I preferred either getting my own room or setting up my tent somewhere in the trees in town where nobody would see me.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

my dog and me would usually get our own motel room
    and would always clean up before we left.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    my dog and me would usually get our own motel room
    and would always clean up before we left.
    you were always the epitome of the "good hiker" and dog owner. guys like you are rare on the AT

thanks LW
    i hope to be on the trail next year :-)

I've split a room with pleanty of guys and gals over the years. But only if we each have our own bed. Even thou we often sleep inches apart in a shelter, for some reason sharing a bed in a hotel room is a whole different ball game.

Some of the more up scale motels will give you a roll around bed for an extra person if you ask. The motel managment didn't even rise an eyebrow that a woman was going to share a room with two guys - and that was before we even asked for the extra bed!

I've done motel housekeeping work on occasion, so I always strip the bed, remove the pillow cases, make sure all the garbage is in one place, pick up the towels and wipe down the sink and tub. That helps out the staff a lot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Panzer sleeps alone...

I have shared many rooms with many hikers.

I always volunteer to take the floor.
    It's the shower that I'm more interested in.
    I've already made the deal that; "Hey, i'll sleep on the floor if i can have first dibbs on the shower"
    Works for me.

I usually can't sleep in a bed for a while after any thru anyway. Prefer the ground or floor.

And, i would never share a room with someone i didn't like.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

really surprised here... since I have slept so close to folks in shelters, I think sleeping in beds is much more roomy. I've shared with guys and gals with no intentions other than sleep. no problem... Lots of times 4 in a two bed motel.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Ditto x2....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++