WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Okay, heres the deal. Many of us cherish any wildness we can still find on this planet, and we wish to preserve as much of this wildness as we can. we hike the AT to learn to be self reliant, to learn TO DO WITHOUT, to learn that we've become too reliant on others to substitute for our own sense of personal responsibility.
    Funny. I hike in order to further my career as a fashion model and infomercial pitch man, and it's doing wonders for me. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Funny. I hike in order to further my career as a fashion model
    obviously not enuf. what do you model? tents?

Images

driver8, I can only say you must have married a cell phone, as you cant seem to detach from it.Ive tried to summarize many of the feelings that I and many here share for your benefit, but I dont think you'll quite understand what Im trying to relate until you've learned to do without your toys.Read John Muir, read emerson and thoreau, read edward abbey most of all.read Guy and Laura waterman.read some of the responses here.you do need to grow up.

Images

i have to admit though, it keeps me entertained while Im here at work.

So glad Weary used a free speech argument to challenge my early attempt to ask the mods to be merciful to the OP. Not only do I agree that free speech applies to those with different opinions, but sometimes letting them continue on a rant can be entertaining. I appreciate Weary removing me of any responsibility for guilt.

If I was a friend of the OP I would counsel him to "stay down" in the context of boxing. Of course he certainly has the right of free speech and I would never want to abridge his rights.

i think he should buy a spot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    he doesnt need to be found, he needs to hook up withhis friends.
    I can see it now :"welcome to Maine, Life as it should be"and underneath-"visit us on facebook".LOL *** OMG

Images

Are we sure Minnie didnt make a new screen name??
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

If a spot works at Pinkham Notch it should be a case of problem solved.

he doesnt need to be found, he needs to hook up withhis friends.
    If he and his friends all had spot devices certainly there would be a cost effective way to communicate between themselves. Even if it required coordination by SAR.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    obviously not enuf. what do you model? tents?
    Wolfskins.

Images

PLEASE!! Dont encourage him!

Images

why do they have to talk at all?I was dayhiking in Minnewaska State park last year, miles from nowhere, in a beautiful spot, complete silence.....complete.after sitting for about as half hour, I began to hear some hikers yapping away from who knows how far. within 10 minutes, a group of 15 orientals came waltzing by, yapping loudly, they saw me as they passed and waved. I put my fingr to my lips, and one walked over to me. I told him"your voices dont belong here". He nodded , turned to his friends who immediately became quiet. I smiled, they went on their way, and as soon as they were out of sight, the yapping continued. I smiled to myself and just shook my head.

Images

Its folks like you yammering on your damn phones while in the woods that makes our experiences crap. I came close once, and damn near shoved a cell phone up a guys azz once for being a beligirant prick. Trust me, if we ever cross paths, you could suffer the same fate.

Wolfskins.
    One more try. Stay down.

"Why confuse the issue with facts when you can just holler that the sky is falling? #OMGawdWereAllGonnaDie!" -Rocket Jones

Images

driver8, I can only say you must have married a cell phone, as you cant seem to detach from it.Ive tried to summarize many of the feelings that I and many here share for your benefit, but I dont think you'll quite understand what Im trying to relate until you've learned to do without your toys.Read John Muir, read emerson and thoreau, read edward abbey most of all.read Guy and Laura waterman.read some of the responses here.you do need to grow up.
    Reading? What's that? And John Muir? Who's he? Is that the guy who tromped around the Sierra Nevada and met person to person, with only a guide and photographer in attendance, with Teddy Roosevelt at Yosemite, eliciting greater efforts from TR to protect Yosemite and other wild areas? The guy who figured out that glacier action carved out much of the Y Valley? Who lost on Heche Hechy, regrettably, but won so much more? Who founded the Sierra Club?

And who is this Thoreau guy? Did he stay at that cabin next to Walden Pond and climb Greylock, Mt. W, Katahdin and countless other mountains, singing their praises far and wide? Wrote something about the Maine Woods and the Concord and the Merrimack, something else about civil disobedience? Emerson? Self-reliance? Something along those lines?

And of course I wouldn't know anything about Edward Abbey and the monkey wrench gang, having worked as an environmental canvasser and activist for three years. Also never met Bill Cronon or Bill McKibben.

Couldn't possibly know anything about any of the above, because I don't share your opinion on the idea of placing a cell tower at two busy locations where it might save a life and afford convenience to a large number of people with very small imposition on the environment. One must toe hikerboy's line, absolutely, no exceptions, elsewise one has no clue about anything important. ...

Sarcasm aside, h/b, I am a populist environmentalist. I believe that since people are the chief threat to our environmental balance, the better acquainted the the more of them become with wild nature and the fonder, the more likely they are to vote and to do other things to protect and to preserve it. Since large numbers of them, many inexpert to such an extent as to make me look like Lone Wolf (I shudder at that thought), get out to Greylock and Mt. Washington and Acadia, for instance, I think it a good idea for them to be safe and able to communicate to the extent reasonably feasible while in those places.

You and I simply have a different view of this. I am fine that you disagree with me - not sure why you can't accept that I do with you without some need to marginalize me as ignorant of or unappreciative of the virtues of wild nature, pretty presumptuous and self-righteous on your part. I don't need to assign you some reading list or talk down to you. Shame that you feel this compulsion toward me.

Images

Lone Wolf's not worth my A material. He gets B- at best. ...
    You would need to actually HAVE A material. Haven't seen it yet - are you saving it for something?
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

why do they have to talk at all?I was dayhiking in Minnewaska State park last year, miles from nowhere, in a beautiful spot, complete silence.....complete.after sitting for about as half hour, I began to hear some hikers yapping away from who knows how far. within 10 minutes, a group of 15 orientals came waltzing by, yapping loudly, they saw me as they passed and waved.
    Funny that you find these hikers' ethnicities relevant to the topic.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++